Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What scooter to buy?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki Fa50
    good on ya mate
    I have an fa50 that is my commuting machine
    I carpool to work (30km on the motorway) and use the scooter for the little drives (eg to the shops or mates place etc)
    I reckon Im saving 100bux a month on fuel by using the scoot.

Thats $1200 a year
    or over 3 years the price of the scoot and your helmet.

Im putting the $100 into an account to save for a bigger proper bike in 2 years

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gazmac View Post
    Might take me a while together up to 4000ks, but yeah I'll try and rake it easy, mainly for commuting to work so not really going to cover lots of is.

Agree, did pay top dollar, about 900 more than I really wanted but it's done now. Impulsive perhaps.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ta

G
    I find that things I paid more for than I planned to in the first place, are still useful and functioning years later. The Yamaha BeeWee 50 has a really sophisticated engine for a moped class scooter (liquid cooled, fuel injected, 3v) so it should be cheap to run and keep going for a long time.

Bike
    SuperScooter 2010
    "It appears to accelerate pretty well on the flat, did get a bit sluggish going up a hill but maintained a set speed'

You can't expect too much from a 50. 65k on the flat and 50k up a moderate hill is good going for an unmodified moped.

"It came unrestricted - no idea how to derestrict"

I'm guessing it will be in the variator or the CDI.

"The full face helmet i have does fit underneath but I really had to force it - so its not fantastic
    I also noticed that in order to open it up again with the helmet in I had to put downward pressure on the seat - so again not fantastic."

Yeah that seems fairly typical, the space is too shallow for a full face. I had a Zip that would fit a medium FF helmet but it required a shove and the plastic seat was bending slightly, but it didn't damage the seat or the catch.

"I havent noticed any vibrations - but I have nothing to compare it too."

Nice smooth 4 stroke with FI, should not have any of the tempermental behaviour of 2 strokes when it comes to starting and cold running.

Its quite quiet, more than I was expecting

I quite like it and enjoy riding the thing, preferred it over the Apillia when seeing them side by side, a bit overbudget at $3400 all up. I definately could have got something cheaper but hey, thats life.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I did get a full face helmet in and the seat shut once, never been able to do it again. It wasn't my regular helmet and with the stuff I usually carry under the seat, ( tool kit, etc ) they take up room anyway. My speedo reads 50kph, the gps says 44kph. The odometer is quite accurate tho, 114k on the dash, 110k on the gps.

At 15,500k it is going as well as it did at 5,000k. You pay a bit more for the Yamaha up front, but it is well worth it.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    2005 Suzuki GN250
    I started with a Benelli QuattroNove 49X Street and I loved it. Slightly underpowered compared to some other scooters but its an extremely comfortable ride and handles like a dream. Also, it can fit a full face helmet under the seat.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Iv'e been looking for a scoot for daughter and wife to learn on and the Honda Dio or early Yammy Jogs appears the better of the lot. Should a decent one turn up it will be getting a few power mods, nothing worse than a gutless scoot. Once had a Honda Pal 2 stroke, lightened of some plastic panels and exhaust restrictions it could plod along safely in traffic.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Iv'e been looking for a scoot for daughter and wife to learn on and the Honda Dio or early Yammy Jogs appears the better of the lot. Should a decent one turn up it will be getting a few power mods, nothing worse than a gutless scoot. Once had a Honda Pal 2 stroke, lightened of some plastic panels and exhaust restrictions it could plod along safely in traffic.
    There was a really neat old 100cc 2 stroke scooter on dirty south yesterday for $100. Looked a little rough but ran fine apparently, no reg or wof though of course.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2011 TTR 250

pros & cons of big wheel scoots

Hi to all ,i am considering buying a Sym CityCom 300i , mainly because it runs 16inch wheels , maybe a Sym Voyager , or a Kawasaki J300 , I would appreciate any advice on this subject. My riding passion has always been trail ,offroad , gravel roads , my present bike is TTR250 my thoughts are that a big wheel machine might cope with gravel roads the best. Comments on this theory please .

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    My little buggar has fatties on it and they handle the loose gravel just fine. Corugations knock the 10" wheels around, but anything with 14-16" rims will roll along okay.

I'm off to ride a 30k gravel road tomorrow. About the last gravel road in the Waipa, I haven't been over yet.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    So picked up a Suzbox SJQT 50.
    Stage one mods i gather to make it get up and go without dicking with tuning are heavier clutch springs, racing cdi, modified exhaust, modded variator, iridium plug.
    Not out to deliver pizzas, just to avoid being rear ended on take off
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Thread Information