Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What scooter to buy?

Bike
    None

What scooter to buy?

I live in Nelson - There are hills.
    I want to buy a Scooter to travel to/from work.
    Needs to be able to be driven on a car licence.
    Budget of $2500-$3000
    I want to buy New.

What can you guys recommend?

Was looking at the Aprilia sport city 50 - what do you think about it?

Cheers

G

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    If you need a 50cc and need to ride up hills, you will need a decent 2 stroke. Make sure it has at least 1 disk brake and is not made in china.

Sent from my iShit using Tapatalk

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    If that's the 2t model of the sport city 50 then it looks decent .. Although the 125cc and 300cc sportcity models get bad reviews for reliability .. Just make sure you get a warranty and/or insurance I guess would be my best advice. Also, make sure you get the gear (fully covered legs, a decent jacket, gloves and a full face helmet that's never been dropped or crashed). Good luck with your adventure.

Sent from my iShit using Tapatalk

Bike
    Nada
    Quote Originally Posted by gazmac View Post
    Was looking at the Aprilia sport city 50 - what do you think about it?
    Cheers
    G
    They are the best handling scooter by a distance but can be a bit of a shit to get parts for.
    The Yamaha Jogs are excellent and reliable. Quite easy and cheap to make them get along a bit better too.
    They will also be much cheaper to buy...around the $1,000 mark

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    They are the best handling scooter by a distance but can be a bit of a shit to get parts for.
    The Yamaha Jogs are excellent and reliable. Quite easy and cheap to make them get along a bit better too.
    They will also be much cheaper to buy...around the $1,000 mark
    This. Jogs maybe small but they are a top scooter. I know, I know I'm Yamaha biased. There are other good scooters too but Jogs always get rave reviews. No matter what, go for 2 stroke (2T). Accelerates quicker than 50cc 4 strokes - takeoff's are key with scooters.

I suggest you get a high speed variator/CVT kit and kevlar belt. It will up the top speed a little - 65ish km/h (if you're lucky.)

More importantly it slices off 1,000 or so rpm. They only rev to about 7,500rpm or so, so bone stock at 50 km/h its already around 7k - that little engine is revving its balls off, may as well free up some speed and give it a break.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Not on a car licence my friend, limited to 50cc. Good option if OP is getting his learner licence though.

Aprilia Sport City 50 would be my choice if buying new, plenty of go (faster) parts avail through eBay, giving it more pep and top speed around 80kmph. Don't get nicked by Mr Plod though, he may want you to register it in the over 2KW class.

Check this one out in Nelson http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-692975967.htm

or the Aprilia SR50 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-587864502.htm

As for Yammy CV50 Jog - yep, good little scoot, quite small cockpit area though, ok if you're not tall. Are Yammy still producing these new?
    I can't see them on the Yamaha new scoot line up for 2013-2014, they only list the BeeWee YW50.
    They're supposed to be quite good, but have a look only a mother could love..... good if you want to rark up some dirt roads though http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-634867372.htm

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    [QUOTE=CrazyFrog;1130675357]Not on a car licence my friend, limited to 50cc. Good option if OP is getting his learner licence though.

Aprilia Sport City 50 would be my choice if buying new, plenty of go (faster) parts avail through eBay, giving it more pep and top speed around 80kmph. Don't get nicked by Mr Plod though, he may want you to register it in the over 2KW class.[QUOTE]

Leave it reg'd as a 50cc with go fast bolt on's and don't ride silly, plod will leave you alone and you will be fine. Just cause it can go 80 doesn't mean it will go everywhere (motorways). On tiny scooter wheels it will be unstable and dangerous as hell.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    Good option if OP is getting his learner licence though.
    Even on a learners .. a 125 or similar would be ideal.

It could handle a head wind and hills better than 49cc wind up toy ... and last longer too ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Agent Orange
    The whole "unstability on small wheels" thing is a bit of a myth to me. Bro, 14" wheels are fine at 80kmph, Christ, my 180cc Gilera has 13" wheels and that'll do 140kmph. I've ridden it everywhere, city streets, highways, gravel and 4wd tracks. Ride accordingling, and no problems with stability.
    Plenty of big bike riders on "normal" wheels are shit scared of gravel because bike feels "unstable". Learn to ride I say, confidence is the key.

The Aprilia's are shod with 120/70-14 tyres front and rear, so same profile as road bike, but smaller rim diameter. No bumps in the road have ever upset the scoot any more than standard road bike with 17" front, they just turn quicker. Good fun in the twisties.
    Any real bump, pot holes, tar snakes etc big enough to upset the wheels on a scooter will happen on any bike, not just a scoot, so ride to the conditons and read the road.
    Oh yeah and OP is from Nelson, not huge amounts of motorway networks to worry about commuting down here

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Even on a learners .. a 125 or similar would be ideal.

It could handle a head wind and hills better than 49cc wind up toy ... and last longer too ...
    As the OP posted, he wants to buy something new, to be ridden on his car licence only. So, 50cc limit then.
    And his 50cc wind up toy would probably do 25,000km easily before any sort of rebuild. Much the same with a 125 wind up toy.
    A 50cc piston/rings kit on a 2T scoot would cost all of $100 and about an hour or so of labour. Not bank breaking stuff huh?

At an average of 40km day commuting, 5 days a week, over a year that's about 9000km. 3 years of running before potential engine work.
    The savings and low running costs made over time from a $2500 scooter purchase vs much higher maintenance/purchase costs of other bikes, makes a scoot good economical sense for commuting.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    You know what? I think you should buy a cheap piece of shit Toyota Corolla. I don't want you on my road if your only motivation is "Cheap" and you're too fucking lazy to commit and do it properly. Properly means learning how to ride a motorcycle. Properly means using proper safety equipment. Properly means having the correct attitude.

Get a car you lazy fucker.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Eventually it will bore you though. Best to get your MC license. It's really not that hard and you have a range of choices not just limited to 50cc scooters.

Don't get me wrong I quite like taking a quick blast on my scooter. But I would rather be on my bike. Scooter is great if I want to hang out til 4 am and don't want to get fucked over for being out of curfew on the way home or I feel tight and only want to use $5 gas and don't want to/have to use the motorway for a 20 minute ride up the road.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    You know what? I think you should buy a cheap piece of shit Toyota Corolla. I don't want you on my road if your only motivation is "Cheap" and you're too fucking lazy to commit and do it properly. Properly means learning how to ride a motorcycle. Properly means using proper safety equipment. Properly means having the correct attitude.

Get a car you lazy fucker.
    Thanks Henry for your very positive and constructive advice. To you I say - Get fucked.

To everyone else - Thanks for the helpful tips and advice.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR250 View Post
    Eventually it will bore you though. Best to get your MC license. It's really not that hard and you have a range of choices not just limited to 50cc scooters.

Don't get me wrong I quite like taking a quick blast on my scooter. But I would rather be on my bike. Scooter is great if I want to hang out til 4 am and don't want to get fucked over for being out of curfew on the way home or I feel tight and only want to use $5 gas and don't want to/have to use the motorway for a 20 minute ride up the road.
    Basically I want something that frees up the car for the family.

I live only a few kms from work and would only be using to/from there. So reliability is key, everything else is not essential

I have no real interest in getting a MC licence as I dont plan to go above a 50cc

I could buy a "shit Toyota Corolla" but wanted to cut down on rego/running costs. to yes "Cheap" is a motivation

Thread Information