Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking of getting into dirt. What bike?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    And a constant handful I had an 01 CR250 quite frankly even with the fly wheel weight and jetted a bit rich it was just to snappy. I reckon an enduro type bike would be best even on the dunes. Used to go out the bombing range up here quite a bit (its all dunes) and found the tourge of the non MX based bike a bit better??
    Yeah I hear ya. But250's areoften like 125's on roids. I was meaning waaaaay older than that. As in...like my RM400's...PE400's etc. Actually very mellow old things.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    if you do go 450 the enduro model will have ample power and not that heavy.... MX are great for MX and riders that mostly ride MX are really anti enduro bikes due to weight and slight difference in power, On trial rides the smoother power of the enduro bikes and little extra weight will have you keeping traction in wet spot where the MX bikes get left behind (rider skills also matter a lot)
    The DRZ 400 is not hard to ride in tight stuff but it is different, Very different.... You need to show it where to go, where as my old XR250 almost new the way.... the 450 can be a handfull if you ride it hard but it also can be forgiving as you dont need to be in the right gear as it has the balls to drag it up the hill in a gear to high.... but the 250 can be very fast if ridden right and is a chunk lighter... a good stepping stone if you doubt yourself

I have never been a 2 smoker fan but they sure can be fun to ride, light and powerful.... just some of the terrain I ride engine braking is very handy.... and power can be trickled on in dicey spots easier with the 4.... some of the 2 smokers with weighty flywheels are mellow but you loose some of the fun

Its all a big juggle getting a bike to do all but the good thing is once the bike is a few years old if looked after you dont loose a lot of coin so buy one ride it... then change it if you dont like it

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    It's really good to know that there is still an area of this forum where you can actually get some really good feedback/input...
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It's really good to know that there is still an area of this forum where you can actually get some really good feedback/input...
    Yep riding dirt brings out the best in people as we have all been stuck in a bog and need a hand to get out.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    Yep riding dirt brings out the best in people as we have all been stuck in a bog and need a hand to get out.
    Reckon! Brett...where do you live mate? Come and have a ride sometime on the RM400 I'm about to (fucking finally) finish. May even give you the fever to come and join in on some VMX racing! It's just like road racing in the dirt generally. A lot of fun...and low key. + cheap.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Been said before but KDX200. I loves mine and cheap to.

And they can go alright in the right hands.

http://www.youtube.com/v/6DPNanQIlic

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    [QUOTE=nzspokes;1130686574]Been said before but KDX200. I loves mine and cheap to.

And they can go alright in the right hands.

Great Vid, and good film work , it highlights how good those KDX200's are , under-rated bikes in my view.

Bike
    Various things
    And talking of sand etc...I must admit, as much of a 2 smoker fan as I am...in sand? Nothing beats a 450 diesel. raglanash first posted this...sums it (them) up well. Sand....mmmmm...sand....

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I agree. Ive always had good advise in this forum. And no "Im faster than you" shit. Although everybody is faster than me, Im better at spectacular crashing.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Cr500...............
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Bullet proof side appeals. The main thing that puts me off is that the advice I have had from mates who ride dirt, is that at the end of a days riding, when you're tired etc. they become a bit of a bitch to ride...have to wrestle them around a bit. I have ridden a KTM 250 motocross bike, and while I found the power ample for the tracks etc. it was by no means scary or unmanageable. Maybe the 400cc/450cc thing is still worth a lookie?
    Your mates are giving you good advice, if a 250MX bike isn't scary, you're in the right area already. Enduro vs MX is a personal preference, I've spent plenty of time on both and I just prefer to trail ride MX bikes, not because I'm faster on one, just I find I can struggle with the suspension on enduro bikes because of my weight and MX bikes are usually work out to be just right for me for trail riding (i.e. I'd be too heavy to race MX with the suspension as is if I was fast enough, but it's fine for blatting around Woodhill at my pretending to be fast pace).

I'm probably already running out of influence on this, because I've been dishing this out to plenty of people and so far always ignored, but if it's possible, don't let your testosterone decide your bike. I did when I got back into riding in 2006 and it was a massive mistake, I went from riding old clunkers in my teens to an angry 250 2T MX bike 15-odd years later. I learned to short-shift, ride with my throttle hand already in the wide open position and a few other tricks to stop it trying to kill me, but if I'd bought a 250 4T like my mate, I would have had way more fun (might have been able to keep up with him too). You will be faster on a smaller bike, you'll be able to ride harder for longer and have a bigger grin on your face when it's time to load up the trailer or ute and go home. The only area this falls down is beach riding, but a bigger bike will be a compromise that will bite when you're in the forest.

Riding dirt is hugely physical, something roadies just don't appreciate until they try it, but for a long time you will be limited by your fitness. So just think about if you really need all that power, especially on the last loop of the day when you're tired and you've got a big 450 or 2T 250 with a twitchy throttle to pedal around.

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I agree. Ive always had good advise in this forum. And no "Im faster than you" shit. Although everybody is faster than me, Im better at spectacular crashing.
    I've always found it very interesting how there isn't the same "my dick is bigger than yours" crap in the dirt community. Perhaps it's because dirt riding is a great leveler, you can't pretend to be fast, or buy your way into fast lap times (if you're slow, no bike on any showroom floor will make you fast). There's a few fast guys in this forum section, but most of us are riding for fun and are well aware of our limitations, I know I'll never be a fast rider and so won't ever pretend to be. But I do fecking love my hobby, it's a mad passion and if I can help someone else get into it, perhaps pass on the one or two things I've learned, I'm more than happy to help.

Reckon I could give you a run for your money on spectacular crashes though

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post

. But I do fecking love my hobby, it's a mad passion and if I can help someone else get into it, perhaps pass on the one or two things I've learned, I'm more than happy to help.

Fuck yeah! I've never not had a dirt bike. They're (and 99% of the peeps that own/ride them) awesome fun.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Noicely put JayGTI, my return to the dirt was a KDX250 with a race pipe on it. I spent more time riding the bike rather than riding IYKWIM. Trying to get the bloody thing to go where I wanted without the ass swinging out or the front pawing up or or or. This was in tight stuff, wet clay, in the woods. Paddocks & tracks it was a hoot but way to quick. Too much purple face & pounding heart for me.
    I've always had more fun on bikes I can eventually find the limits of as fitness & ability improve.
    That KDX 200 vid is point in case, a lot of riders on much hairier bikes would be miles behind him.
    I'm in the 250 4t or enduro 2t camp, bikes are more compliant but very very capable & a big lad can get away with murder on them, the bigger your feet the better.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post
    But I do fecking love my hobby, it's a mad passion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Fuck yeah! I've never not had a dirt bike. They're (and 99% of the peeps that own/ride them) awesome fun.
    fuck yeah. for total enjoyment factor there are few better.

Bike
    Various things
    fuck yeah. for total enjoyment factor there are few better.
    Chicks come close.

Thread Information