Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking of getting into dirt. What bike?

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Reckon! Brett...where do you live mate? Come and have a ride sometime on the RM400 I'm about to (fucking finally) finish. May even give you the fever to come and join in on some VMX racing! It's just like road racing in the dirt generally. A lot of fun...and low key. + cheap.
    Would love to take you up on the offer crasher... alas I am in Dorkland. Like the racing idea though.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay GTI View Post
    Your mates are giving you good advice, if a 250MX bike isn't scary, you're in the right area already. Enduro vs MX is a personal preference, I've spent plenty of time on both and I just prefer to trail ride MX bikes, not because I'm faster on one, just I find I can struggle with the suspension on enduro bikes because of my weight and MX bikes are usually work out to be just right for me for trail riding (i.e. I'd be too heavy to race MX with the suspension as is if I was fast enough, but it's fine for blatting around Woodhill at my pretending to be fast pace).

I'm probably already running out of influence on this, because I've been dishing this out to plenty of people and so far always ignored, but if it's possible, don't let your testosterone decide your bike. I did when I got back into riding in 2006 and it was a massive mistake, I went from riding old clunkers in my teens to an angry 250 2T MX bike 15-odd years later. I learned to short-shift, ride with my throttle hand already in the wide open position and a few other tricks to stop it trying to kill me, but if I'd bought a 250 4T like my mate, I would have had way more fun (might have been able to keep up with him too). You will be faster on a smaller bike, you'll be able to ride harder for longer and have a bigger grin on your face when it's time to load up the trailer or ute and go home. The only area this falls down is beach riding, but a bigger bike will be a compromise that will bite when you're in the forest.

Riding dirt is hugely physical, something roadies just don't appreciate until they try it, but for a long time you will be limited by your fitness. So just think about if you really need all that power, especially on the last loop of the day when you're tired and you've got a big 450 or 2T 250 with a twitchy throttle to pedal around.

I've always found it very interesting how there isn't the same "my dick is bigger than yours" crap in the dirt community. Perhaps it's because dirt riding is a great leveler, you can't pretend to be fast, or buy your way into fast lap times (if you're slow, no bike on any showroom floor will make you fast). There's a few fast guys in this forum section, but most of us are riding for fun and are well aware of our limitations, I know I'll never be a fast rider and so won't ever pretend to be. But I do fecking love my hobby, it's a mad passion and if I can help someone else get into it, perhaps pass on the one or two things I've learned, I'm more than happy to help.

Reckon I could give you a run for your money on spectacular crashes though
    I really appreciate your input bud. I am definitely falling the way of a 250 4T motox. A big grunter would be nice, but I think given the tracks etc. that I would like to ride, 250 makes more sense. Again, appreciate your thoughts in your post.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Would love to take you up on the offer crasher... alas I am in Dorkland. Like the racing idea though.
    Well give me a heads up if you're ever down this way...and I'll do likewise if I'm ever bringing the old girl up your way. I mean...really...check this shit out. How could that not be fun as fuck???!!!

Bike
    2009 KTM 300 XCW
    What sort of trails?
    Fast, tight, really tight?

You have never ridden dirt?

Here is what I recommend.
    Buy an old Honda XR200/250 they is best up looking but runs well.
    Not a bunch of power, but on trails you don't really needs loads of power- just learn not to slow down.
    That bike will be cheap, relatively light, easy to start and you can pin it without scaring yourself.
    You will almost certainly drop it a bunch as you learn how to slide it around, how to lock the brakes (gotta learn the edge) and make mistakes.

Best part, when you decide you love dirt riding you sell it for what you paid- and have a much better idea what you really want.
    If you decide it is not for you (I've seen a number of street riders blow a ton on a fancy dirt bike- then decide they don't like it)- then you ca sell it and get your money back.

They are cheap enough you can keep your street bike.

That's what I would recommend anyway.

(Light is good for tight trails- I've gotten down to 163lbs!)

Mark
    2104 OSSA Explorer, 2005 Ducati 1000S Multistrada, 76 OSSA Phantom (project) - 1986 Honda TLR200 ( project/loaner)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Noicely put JayGTI, my return to the dirt was a KDX250 with a race pipe on it. I spent more time riding the bike rather than riding IYKWIM. Trying to get the bloody thing to go where I wanted without the ass swinging out or the front pawing up or or or. This was in tight stuff, wet clay, in the woods. Paddocks & tracks it was a hoot but way to quick. Too much purple face & pounding heart for me.
    I've always had more fun on bikes I can eventually find the limits of as fitness & ability improve.
    That KDX 200 vid is point in case, a lot of riders on much hairier bikes would be miles behind him.
    I'm in the 250 4t or enduro 2t camp, bikes are more compliant but very very capable & a big lad can get away with murder on them, the bigger your feet the better.
    My KDX200 with its PC pipe on is a bit like that but the torque is amazing for a 2t. On todays trail ride I only stopped on one climb as the guy in front of me fell off. Still amazes me why people try to push there bike up a hill they cant ride up, thats gunna end well. So I just spun it back down the hill and tractored up past the dude in first with next to no revs as he was in the middle of the trail. Im immense which makes it more stunning.

Looking forward to its new forks though.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Something else to consider... Do you want to do big jumps?

Most of the play bikes XR, DRZ, older school bikes can be great fun on trail rides ...... But landing from big jumps can be fun...... You know when you get good air that it isn't going to be smooth landing... manageable but not smooth.

I can get plenty of Air on the DRZ but it pretty much bottoms the suspension and you feel it do so! Same with the XR and mates old VMX bikes but the first time I rode the RMX450 I gave the throttle a blip to get some air and it flew...... Wasn't looking forward to the landing, Tensed up & eventually it did land and smooth it was, I relaxed in relief of how well it landed and inadvertently let my throttle arm drop and it twisted the throttle and we were off again this time landing on some cattle rutted down hill.... puckered up thinking Shiiiiiiiittttttt but once again a smooth landing, I could not believe how smooth the landings were. Thought I got away with out anyone seeing until I was told I was a mad cunt by the farm owner.... He had seen and I had to fess up the second jump was not intentional!!

So if you think you want to get some air get a modern bike with good suspension and come down the Tuakau and get Gizzy to set it up for your weight and style of riding

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Well...random offer on the CBR1000rr today that was too good to refuse...it's gone (sad as I am to say goodbye to a FANTASTIC sportsbike) meaning I can actually start looking for something to get dirty with.

Bike
    Various things
    Well...random offer on the CBR1000rr today that was too good to refuse...it's gone (sad as I am to say goodbye to a FANTASTIC sportsbike) meaning I can actually start looking for something to get dirty with.
    Hope you end up with a great new toy...and we'll expect lots of pics when you do get something!

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Hope you end up with a great new toy...and we'll expect lots of pics when you do get something!
    Missing the blade already. Not that I had been getting to ride it of late.... Thinking that i will probably look for a Honda CRF250R, later model, fuel injected. What would other alternatives of this ilk be?

Bike
    2012 KX450f
    What sort of price range are you looking at Brett?

If you are looking at slightly older 250fs, the YZ250f are a good buy, great reputation on quality and reliability, amazing suspension as well. Not fuel injected until the 2014 models, but a well set up carb is pretty much as good as EFI. Heaps of aftermarket goodies available as well.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    Missing the blade already. Not that I had been getting to ride it of late.... Thinking that i will probably look for a Honda CRF250R, later model, fuel injected. What would other alternatives of this ilk be?
    There is a Honda ride out at limestone downs this weekend that they will have Demo bikes at..... long way for a ride but if you have the riding gear it may be worth a play, The next Mr Motorcycles ride is on the 30th and they usually have a demo bike available as well

Bike
    Various things
    I've got a late model RMZ250 at work with low hours, and adj fulling map on the fly. PLus bash plate, hand guards etc. Was one of the bosses sons...it's a well set up bike.

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    Any of the 250 MXrs are good, if you're looking at the later bikes. The main thing is, over the last few years especially, all the bikes are now so good, there's not a lemon amongst them. The KXF may have won shootouts regularly, but really, you could pick any bike and it would be great, even the big mags are regularly stating all of them are seriously good and it's only small differences that make one bike rank higher than the other. I'd just pick a bike based on condition and price, not brand (although the Honda will be typically Honda well built).

Might want to see if you can find a later KTM 250SX, they had electric start as an option from 2011, now it's standard. Not that there's any effort in starting the rest on kickstart, but I love being able to just thumb the magic button when I'm half-way up a snotty hill climb that I've completely cocked up, again.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by thorns View Post
    What sort of price range are you looking at Brett?

If you are looking at slightly older 250fs, the YZ250f are a good buy, great reputation on quality and reliability, amazing suspension as well. Not fuel injected until the 2014 models, but a well set up carb is pretty much as good as EFI. Heaps of aftermarket goodies available as well.
    For first dirt bike, hoping to spend $4k to $5k. Could spend more/double, but decided I will cap it until I know whether I like this dirt business or not.

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F
    For first dirt bike, hoping to spend $4k to $5k. Could spend more/double, but decided I will cap it until I know whether I like this dirt business or not.
    You'll get a decent bike for that money, but just be aware that you're in the 'tarted up dog' price range, so condition and signs of a well looked after bike are paramount. Spend a weekend with the wallet at home just looking at as many bikes as you can and you'll soon start spotting the signs of abuse and figuring out what to walk away from.

Thread Information