Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tightening the line?

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    As the others have said - get some instructor lead training, bronze silver and gold cost less than a new fairing panel.

Whilst you are waiting do some research, it helps to understand:
    * delayed apex cornering (helps you choose where you exit the corner and stay away from oncoming)
    * vanishing point (Helps you judge correct entry speed)
    * target fixation (learn to make it work for you)

Read some books (not just one, there are different theories - make your own mind but don't rely too much on race techniques on the road)
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750
    Thanks all. I think the main thing that phased me was how much you can lean. I was thinking through it the other day and think I cracked why it happened. I got close to the center line then looked at it. As has been stated where you look is where you go. Then I kind of came unstuck. Since then have been practicing pretty hard at checking the corner before entry (ie. loose gravel etc) and then looking where I want to go rather than watching the road right in front of me. This has had good results as it allows me the time and focus I need to progress.

Still need the pro training though so will do that. I found that Twist of the wrist series here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...of-the-wrist-2 which was a good find. Still got lots to learn though.

I don't wear sneakers btw so foot down although being a problem, should leave it mostly intact. Haven't felt the need to put foot down yet except trying to turn around in my driveway.

My biggest problem is I am a speed freak. So have to try and figure that out. Did a lot of training for the car so I could drive fast so obviously need to do the same for the bike and head to track days to get it out of the system.

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750
    Ok that link is broken but I found the Twist of the Wrist 2 full version on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-Wqs37Ug4

Should be good. Very common sense and easy to understand, just have to do it now.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    What you have said works for me as I will do a 1 finger tap on the front brake which enables me to increase my lean angle giving me a tighter line.
    A tap on the front brake will make the bike want to stand up, a tap on the rear will make the bike lean over more. Obviously we're talking taps and not handfuls as it gets bad from there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    A tap on the front brake will make the bike want to stand up, a tap on the rear will make the bike lean over more. Obviously we're talking taps and not handfuls as it gets bad from there...
    That was my understanding... Maybe she means before the lean over. Anyway at Cassina's speed I doubt you could do anything that would bin the bike.
    Sticking to the back roads

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by The Little Gixxer View Post
    I don't wear sneakers btw so foot down although being a problem, should leave it mostly intact. Haven't felt the need to put foot down yet except trying to turn around in my driveway.

My biggest problem is I am a speed freak. So have to try and figure that out. Did a lot of training for the car so I could drive fast so obviously need to do the same for the bike and head to track days to get it out of the system.
    Really......don't put your foot down...........and learn to recognise irony

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    .......and learn to recognise irony
    I believe sarcasm is the word you're looking for.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I'm repeating myself... But. I started practising moto gymkhana to improve my riding. It has. Immensely.

Lookie here

Erm, these riders on youtube are the best in the world, it ain't that easy.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest you temper the twist of the wrist a little as it has a "track meets road" philosophy. much emphasis os placed on being quick. Quick will come but skill should be first.

Even in this video which is short and has a lot of good technique there are a couple of things missed - the intersection on the left was in the dead ground and he has left himself quite hard on the left and therefore in SMIDSY territory. Also he gets very close to the centre line, I try and give myself a bit more room to breath, it doesn't cost much speed but will add to safety and smoothness.

Where they mention "Cross Views" this is looking past the vanishing point for other clues as to where the road is going and what is on the road.

Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I'm repeating myself... But. I started practising moto gymkhana to improve my riding. It has. Immensely.

Lookie here

Erm, these riders on youtube are the best in the world, it ain't that easy.
    Have you tried a timed GP8 course? If so what is your best time? I've done 34.8s on my Transalp, may bring this up in a different thread.
    Motorbike only search

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@ View Post
    Have you tried a timed GP8 course? If so what is your best time? I've done 34.8s on my Transalp, may bring this up in a different thread.
    Yup and your way ahead of me on the TDM. New thread good. Old thread dredge perhaps even better. I would but struggle with searchy function thing.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by The Little Gixxer View Post

Learn proper riding techniques first - then speed will come easier than going for it and trying to learn by your mistakes (if you survive). Track days are good for learning about your bike - what it can do and what you can do, but, remember, road riding is a different kettle of fish to track riding and you need a different attitude and riding style - riding like a racer on the roadsall the time often leads to a shorter riding life.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    In the debate over the roadcraft cornering training another poster picked the same fault.
    Yep, and I'll still call it a faulty cornering technique even in this thread.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    A footful of rear brake will make the bike stand up as well - I've seen it happen - banana shaped 996 anyone....?
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Anyone else think the thread title is perhaps a foreshadowing? tightening the line, like reeling them in, fishing, trolling if you will...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Thread Information