Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tightening the line?

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750

Tightening the line?

Ok so i was plodding along the other day and as I came around the corner it seemed I had mischosen my line leaving me coming out wide and entering the left hand lane. Maybe it was a lack of concentration on my part but also the fact I haven't been riding long has a bit to pay.

So my question is what is the best way to tighten the line:

Is it to anchor up let the bike slide for a while and accelrate (hopefully) out of it?

Is it to apply the rear brake as a slowing mechanism whilst still maintaining forward momentum?

Should i just peg to the ground and let the sparks fly?

Just some pointers would be good, this has been part covered in so many threads it is hard to put all the knowledge in one place.

Thanks

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by The Little Gixxer View Post

Is it to anchor up let the bike slide for a while and accelrate (hopefully) out of it?
    ^^^^this is the best learners method. Don't forget to put your foot on the road for stability

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750
    Yeah it might not be the safest but will give the most thrills.

Essentially what I did was slow using the rear brake then lean into the corner further. Is this what should be done?

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    If you're not scraping anything, you've got more lean angle left, turn in/lean more, balance with more throttle and ignore all the "I'm gonna die" survival instincts screaming in your brain.
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Ok so i was plodding along the other day and as I came around the corner it seemed I had mischosen my line leaving me coming out wide and entering the left hand lane. Maybe it was a lack of concentration on my part but also the fact I haven't been riding long has a bit to pay.
    Plodding along ... at what speed ... ?? A two lane road and you still got it wrong ...

So you got it wrong and didn't hit anything ... this time. Next time you may not be as lucky.

Slow down and get your lines sorted first. THEN entry / exit speeds sorted. Braking with the rear wheel (only) is likely to lock up the rear tyre. After that ... life can get bad.

Quickly.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Why are we handing out licenses so easily?

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    or why do we teach them sooooo little in the basic handling course. Sure they know how not to drop the bike in a car when riding slowly in first gear but no idea how to judge their line and speed on corners - wonder where they are likely to meet a ton or so coming in the opposite direction?

Read up on vanishing points and judge your speed right.

Light rear braking will slow you without washing out like the front. Locking the front gets really exciting and even braking on it straightens up your line sooo much.

Main thing is look where you want to go NOT where you think you are going or where you are trying to avoid. If you look where you want to go you will automatically make the required adjustments and the bike will auto-magically head that way, scraping what it needs to bet you were no where near the maximum lean angle - the bike will out perform you so use it, you can change your undies when you get home.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750
    Good advice. Thankyou.

I wasn't going too fast only just on 90 prior to going through corner (don't really check the speedo whilst trying to corner) it looked like a sweeper and for most of the corner it was til it started to L out towards the end. Momentary loss of concentration was the main problem I needed to focus on what was ahead and as stated above look where I was going not start stressing over where I have been.

The learners basic handling course is just that. BASIC. Few turns at low speed teach you how to steer not how to lean and really on the road picking the line and knowing how to control it is way more important than being able to stop at 5km an hour.

Yeah i do use light braking just enough to keep it in control, had it slide a little once when I first got the bike but that I think was because I pulled the clutch at the same time.

Thanks everyone.

PS Yes I have hit something before when I was young and that wasn't pretty...

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I have been asking for years.

Once you noticed you were running wide, you probably started looking that way.

There is no way to know what the best answer is for each time it might happen, the only constant is that you look where you want to go and it'll most likely happen. The odd time ya go down, was gonna happen anyway and we'll all give you arseholes for having gone into a turn so bloody much too fast.

This is basic stuff, and you should know it by heart before riding. Not your fault you don't, you're just the latest example to use.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I have been asking for years.

Once you noticed you were running wide, you probably started looking that way.

There is no way to know what the best answer is for each time it might happen, the only constant is that you look where you want to go and it'll most likely happen. The odd time ya go down, was gonna happen anyway and we'll all give you arseholes for having gone into a turn so bloody much too fast.

This is basic stuff, and you should know it by heart before riding. Not your fault you don't, you're just the latest example to use.
    Gotta stamp your foot down......fixes everything

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Good advice. Thankyou.

I wasn't going too fast only just on 90 prior to going through corner (don't really check the speedo whilst trying to corner)
    Was there a speed advisory on that corner ... ???

Under the posted speed isn't automatically making it a safe speed on a corner .... especially for a learner rider.

Experienced riders don't need to check their speed as often as the noob's need to ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    To justify the existence of ACC ... and the number of industries it helps fund ... and increases/guarantees future employment in the public health system ...

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Foot down......that's all

Bike
    1999 GSXR 750
    No speed advisory for the corner just a standard one with arrows. I think you are right though I still haven't quite got the hang of look where you want to go. Will just keep working on it and hopefully not bail out too quickly. I wish I did know this by heart already have wanted to do Prorider etc but a Bay of Plenty rider so nothing like that I have found.

If anything training wise pops up that is in that price bracket would be good though, might just have to cruise to Auckland for the day after all.

Thanks

Bike
    Lean more

I'm still learning, too and although you might feel like you're close to the ground, you ain't, so just counter steer or lean more into the corner. If you notice you're coming in to hot a bit in advance you can usually grab a quick pulse of front brake while you slam it down a gear and counter steer into a decent lean to bumble around as well Make sure you blip the throttle if needed, but you're probably not up to coming in that fast yet anyway.

I haven't come to any grief or 'slides' from doing so, but I wouldn't be touching the rear over the front brake in a corner, but that comment comes with an expectation of common sense as well

Find a some sharp slowish speed corners to practice on, without taking the piss it sounds like you'd benefit from it to learn how to handle the bike. Something with a massive drop off to the side is good motivation not to fawk it up too (although very un PC advice )

Thread Information