Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring spacer for rear shock?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    yep and my mum is always right
    CSB but whats your Mum got to do with a spacer?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Far be it from me to draw an implication, but spacers are generally for loose things...

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    If the rider sag is correct but the static sag is too much then all adding a spacer will do is fuck up the rider sag.

To get them both correct you need a heavier spring.
    QFT
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    some guy telling you what to do to fix your rear , and believing him,

is the same as believing everything my mum said when i was a kid

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    some guy telling you what to do to fix your rear , and believing him,

is the same as believing everything my mum said when i was a kid
    OIC. This guy knows his shit. I trust him over just about anybody on this topic.

I will do a drawing and see what it would cost to get one turned up out of alloy.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    OIC. This guy knows his shit. I trust him over just about anybody on this topic.

I will do a drawing and see what it would cost to get one turned up out of alloy.
    CSB, but where is RT when you need him.

If you're determined to half-ass it, you could just bang a drift or two in there until the preload readings are right...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    CSB, but where is RT when you need him.

If you're determined to half-ass it, you could just bang a drift or two in there until the preload readings are right...
    It was Dave Moss that did a once over of my bike and said it was the way to sort it.

Bike
    06 zx10r
    het mate. dont know much bout sus so wont added anything there but can assist with machining up a spacer from alloy if youd like.all i need to know is a few dimensions,maybe sketch a pic and pixt it to me and itll take all of half an hour id say,should have material too so bottle of piss would have it covered 02102789016

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by mhm View Post
    het mate. dont know much bout sus so wont added anything there but can assist with machining up a spacer from alloy if youd like.all i need to know is a few dimensions,maybe sketch a pic and pixt it to me and itll take all of half an hour id say,should have material too so bottle of piss would have it covered 02102789016
    Cheers. I will draw something up tomorrow. Its just a big washer really. Will be in contact.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Are you doing this for ride height reasons or to preload the shock so that it starts and finishes its travel through a different part of the stroke? This argument comes up all the time and people equate ride height to seat height and they're wrong.

You need to get a different spring. The spacer is just going to mess with the way the shock works.
    It wouldn't be an argument if many of those arguing had an appreciation of the science and combinations and could then say something plausible. It is better to say nothing and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

There is a certain point where there obviously is too much preload BUT there are no hard and fast rules that work for everything. For example a Ducati 1098 / 1198 will run in excess of 20mm preload as part of some ''fudge'' engineering to keep the bike away from the ridiculously progressive link that it comes with. In combination with that it needs a very ''aggressive'' top out spring.

To get a certain characteristic we only run 8-10mm on the racebikes of Messrs Charlett, Cole, Smith, Fitzgerald, Frost, Hassan etc. That must be combined with very effective low speed damping control

Too may people overspring to try and attain acceleration squat control when in fact the issue very often is that the low speed compression damping ( internal ) has very poor control and is allowing the bike to squat too readily. Overspring and you will get rudimentary control but rather less ability to absorb abrupt bumps.

The Yamaha MT09 is a case in point, very poor acceleration squat control so the 5 minute experts on forums are saying ''spring up''. Bollocks, the compression damping is very weak. Once this bike has credible low speed compression damping you can actually spring down

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    None
    It was Dave Moss that did a once over of my bike and said it was the way to sort it.
    He has advised a budget solution, yes. How much did he charge you and is he paying income tax to the NZ Government ?

Note that we ( Kiwi Suspension Solutions ) have spring spacers in stock. These are 90% machined so just need a little more machining to suit each application

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    He has advised a budget solution, yes. How much did he charge you and is he paying income tax to the NZ Government ?

Note that we ( Kiwi Suspension Solutions ) have spring spacers in stock. These are 90% machined so just need a little more machining to suit each application
    How much? And what needs finishing?

Bike
    None
    How much? And what needs finishing?
    $48.90 plus gst and freight. This one will ''add'' 12mm of distance. If you are lucky no finish machining but what it would pay to do is to e-mail me current shock spring i.d and the dimensions of the preload adjust coollar that this spacer would sit on. We will then see what would be required and if its just a couple of minutes in the lathe for us then no danger

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer

I see what you did there RT! A nice segway into aspersions about Dave. Rather than getting into a slagging match on here, I suggest you do some research into answering your own question. You may be pleasantly suprised.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    I see what you did there RT! A nice segway into aspersions about Dave. Rather than getting into a slagging match on here, I suggest you do some research into answering your own question. You may be pleasantly suprised.
    Im not knocking Moss, I just pointed out that he advised a ''quick fix'', which is fine if it suits the ''customer''. But also this thread has given me a means of explaining that upping in spring rate is not always the most correct way of attaining more ''chassis hold''.
    I would have a very dim view of Moss if he didn't pay tax whilst he was here, like all the local businesses have to. I think that's very fair to point out.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    It wouldn't be an argument if many of those arguing had an appreciation of the science and combinations and could then say something plausible. It is better to say nothing and be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

There is a certain point where there obviously is too much preload BUT there are no hard and fast rules that work for everything. For example a Ducati 1098 / 1198 will run in excess of 20mm preload as part of some ''fudge'' engineering to keep the bike away from the ridiculously progressive link that it comes with. In combination with that it needs a very ''aggressive'' top out spring.

To get a certain characteristic we only run 8-10mm on the racebikes of Messrs Charlett, Cole, Smith, Fitzgerald, Frost, Hassan etc. That must be combined with very effective low speed damping control

Too may people overspring to try and attain acceleration squat control when in fact the issue very often is that the low speed compression damping ( internal ) has very poor control and is allowing the bike to squat too readily. Overspring and you will get rudimentary control but rather less ability to absorb abrupt bumps.

The Yamaha MT09 is a case in point, very poor acceleration squat control so the 5 minute experts on forums are saying ''spring up''. Bollocks, the compression damping is very weak. Once this bike has credible low speed compression damping you can actually spring down
    I dont disagree with what you are saying with low speed compression being the issue on the Hornet. But within the stock shock there is no way to adjust this. I believe from what Ive read overseas there has been some success with the squat issue by using a few mm longer shock with better low speed damping control. But to be fair putting a $1500 rear shock into a 4k bike that is at best an average bike is somewhat pointless. If it were a Gixxer or the likes that I had 10+k invested in then it would be a no brainer. I would only up the spring rate now if the sag numbers were way out. The spacer is to reduce the bike sag a smidge. This was Daves suggestion after looking at my bike and he spent a good half hour going over it and was the only homework item he found. The bike is much better for what he did to it.

And for the record I paid the business that he was visiting, not him directly.

Thread Information