Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring spacer for rear shock?

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Thanks for the pricing, thats food for thought. Is the $899 Nitron the one way one? If so how good is it? And the Ohlins without the external can, what does it lack over the full spec model?

Now to address the above. To use your quote, about what you said Nothing could be further from the truth. The basis of what he was doing was making sure bikes were not in a dangerous state. Example, rebound set to slow, seals causing stiction, regular fork oil changes etc. At no time did he say at the night I went to that you have to put up with what you have. What he did say was lets make it safe. He said at the end for everybody to pass the information on to help keep others safe. With the more racer guys Ohlins was mentioned as an option.

Your name did come up a couple of times and even though I cant remember the exact context he was speaking highly of you and your work.

I believe as a workshop night his was the best motorcycle one I have been to.
    Yes one way, our experience is that these are on a par with Ohlins, the pricing is certainly very good! Any shock specs that add a reservoir and compression adjuster gives you more adjustability plus more fluid and nitrogen capacity.

Granted re your elaboration of Dave Moss's approach. What I was intimating is that more than a few people would think ''this is as good as it gets''. We do the odd track day and make the settings better with the stock suspension. The riders come back and say ''its perfect'' to which we retort, ''no its not. its just better''

Here also is a cynical statement...............( !!!!! ) If we make the suspension work better it gives you the ability to crash at a higher speed!!

Ph: 06 751 2100 * Email: robert@kss.net.nz
    Mob: 021 825 514 * Fax: 06 751 4551

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Thanks RT-Food for thought around the MT09. Accountants-turning winning designs into losing realities since ages ago......

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post

Here also is a cynical statement...............( !!!!! ) If we make the suspension work better it gives you the ability to crash at a higher speed!!
    Always the cynic?

Now I was made aware today that Ohlins are somewhat modular. And can be changed to fit different bikes. This changes my whole out look on them. Can you confirm this is correct Robert? Within reason of course but if say in 2 years I bought a Gixxer 750 in the future could this shock be changed to suit?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Always the cynic?

Now I was made aware today that Ohlins are somewhat modular. And can be changed to fit different bikes. This changes my whole out look on them. Can you confirm this is correct Robert? Within reason of course but if say in 2 years I bought a Gixxer 750 in the future could this shock be changed to suit?
    Very interested in an answer to this Robert. It may change my view on an Ohlins. Might have to start saving up.

Bike
    None
    Always the cynic?

Yes indeed they are and that is a ''crowning glory''. We do this in a very ''kiwi'' way in as much as if it requires a slightly shorter body tube for the new bike we will machine the existing one instead of selling you a new one. Minimisation of cost without compromising quality. Every Ohlins shock made at the factory has an identifying code stamped into its cylinder head. For instance if its a Honda shock it will start with a HO prefix followed by a 4 number suffix. On receipt of that code we access a database and it will tell you everything thats inside the shock, spring rates, valving specs etc etc. We can then cross reference the spec code against the spec code for the shock for the new proposed bike and work out almost to the nth degree what will be required to respec it before there is any committment. Also of course to see that it is economically viable to do so, in each instance.

Sometimes we will trade used Ohlins for new. ( providing of course we sold the shock in the first instance )

There is also a service we offer to people who are looking to purchase used Ohlins shocks off E-Bay, Trade me etc. We encourage the buyer to first request from the seller the spec code and also the numbers off the spring(s) This so we can verify that the shock the seller is representing it as is correct. Its really disgraceful how much product is misrepresented by so many private resellers.

This is a complimentary service we offer and all that we reasonably expect in return is that if we have done the verification etc that we will get a return on it down the track if it needs changes / servicing by sending to us.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm running the Ohlins non reservoir shock from Robert on my Hornet. Excellent stuff and given the jump in price for the bells and whistle unit it is very good value. Made a huge improvement to all aspects of the bike. I'd done the fork springs and oil first which only highlighted the shortcomings of the rear end. Once the rear shock was installed the best description was along the lines of the rear of the bike was now tied into the front - first ride I was left with a mental image of a large steel rod having been added from front to rear!

The Nitron at that price if of same spec and quality to the Ohlins I run is very good value.

PS - deleting the reservoir saves weight and makes your Hornet faster

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Yes indeed they are and that is a ''crowning glory''. We do this in a very ''kiwi'' way in as much as if it requires a slightly shorter body tube for the new bike we will machine the existing one instead of selling you a new one. Minimisation of cost without compromising quality. Every Ohlins shock made at the factory has an identifying code stamped into its cylinder head. For instance if its a Honda shock it will start with a HO prefix followed by a 4 number suffix. On receipt of that code we access a database and it will tell you everything thats inside the shock, spring rates, valving specs etc etc. We can then cross reference the spec code against the spec code for the shock for the new proposed bike and work out almost to the nth degree what will be required to respec it before there is any committment. Also of course to see that it is economically viable to do so, in each instance.

Sometimes we will trade used Ohlins for new. ( providing of course we sold the shock in the first instance )

There is also a service we offer to people who are looking to purchase used Ohlins shocks off E-Bay, Trade me etc. We encourage the buyer to first request from the seller the spec code and also the numbers off the spring(s) This so we can verify that the shock the seller is representing it as is correct. Its really disgraceful how much product is misrepresented by so many private resellers.

This is a complimentary service we offer and all that we reasonably expect in return is that if we have done the verification etc that we will get a return on it down the track if it needs changes / servicing by sending to us.
    Ok. Thats a very interesting thing. Im now saving for one. This may take some time. It wont be the $1900 one but the cheaper version.

I would suggest that you try to make this more public knowledge as it changes the whole prospect of the thing.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    I would suggest that you try to make this more public knowledge as it changes the whole prospect of the thing.
    Yes, because I sure Robert is in urgent need of business advice from a failed push bike merchant.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm running the Ohlins non reservoir shock from Robert on my Hornet. Excellent stuff and given the jump in price for the bells and whistle unit it is very good value. Made a huge improvement to all aspects of the bike. I'd done the fork springs and oil first which only highlighted the shortcomings of the rear end. Once the rear shock was installed the best description was along the lines of the rear of the bike was now tied into the front - first ride I was left with a mental image of a large steel rod having been added from front to rear!

The Nitron at that price if of same spec and quality to the Ohlins I run is very good value.

PS - deleting the reservoir saves weight and makes your Hornet faster
    Speaking of forks. Mines just developed a leak.

I think for the long term Ohlins will be the way to go. Ive done springs and oil. Maybe some valve work in its near future.

Bike
    TF125
    Try reading more & posting less

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Speaking of forks. Mines just developed a leak.

I think for the long term Ohlins will be the way to go. Ive done springs and oil. Maybe some valve work in its near future.
    Speaking more of forks: Thank you Robert for the tune up on the Buell's, there's a deal less dive as a result of that spring and spacer change and I've found I'm running a lot less compression damping to good effect. The occasional harmonic-like chatter on very rough corners has disappeared too.

I half expected the improved front compliance to highlight some deficiencies out back, but I guess I'm just not trying hard enough, it feels fine.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I has a spacer coming. Thanks to a fellow KBer. That will keep me going untill I can get the new shock.

Bike
    None
    Its pertinent to reinforce that when we sell an Ohlins shock / suspension components we just dont take it out of the box and ''there you are''. We ensure that it is sprung for the customer and where we deem neccessary we revalve slightly to better suit our high ratio of challenging roads and riding expectations. That is not to say that they are not a significant improvement out of the box, they very much are. Its just that where there can be improvements and personal customisation to the customer we automatically do so

That is the value of buying locally, we are attuned to the riding environment / customer expectations and are accessible. Moreover we put our money back into the local community and employ New Zealanders.

If you buy out of ''North Mexico'' you might get them to fit an alternate spring, at best. If you find that the valving could perhaps be a little bit better they arent going to fly here at no cost to you to sort it!!! These resellers care nothing for other than taking your money ( which they put back into their communities, NOT ours ) and know that they are ( conveniently ) insulated by distance if there is something you are not completely satisfied with. Sounds harsh but that is the reality. I think its fair to say that most New Zealanders have a much keener sense of fairplay if something is not quite correct.

We have pretty much met the market on price anyway, when you also consider the added value that we have built in.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Its pertinent to reinforce that when we sell an Ohlins shock / suspension components we just dont take it out of the box and ''there you are''. We ensure that it is sprung for the customer and where we deem neccessary we revalve slightly to better suit our high ratio of challenging roads and riding expectations. That is not to say that they are not a significant improvement out of the box, they very much are. Its just that where there can be improvements and personal customisation to the customer we automatically do so

That is the value of buying locally, we are attuned to the riding environment / customer expectations and are accessible. Moreover we put our money back into the local community and employ New Zealanders.

If you buy out of ''North Mexico'' you might get them to fit an alternate spring, at best. If you find that the valving could perhaps be a little bit better they arent going to fly here at no cost to you to sort it!!! These resellers care nothing for other than taking your money ( which they put back into their communities, NOT ours ) and know that they are ( conveniently ) insulated by distance if there is something you are not completely satisfied with. Sounds harsh but that is the reality. I think its fair to say that most New Zealanders have a much keener sense of fairplay if something is not quite correct.

We have pretty much met the market on price anyway, when you also consider the added value that we have built in.
    Well Dan Kyle Racing do the full spec one with hydrolic preload etc as a special deal at $919. That because one of there techs is a fan of the Hornets which are called 919s there due to the Hornet name being used by a car maker. But I do see the value in getting it local, I just cant afford the top ones price.

Out of interest can you do the same with the Nitron?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Well Dan Kyle Racing do the full spec one with hydrolic preload etc as a special deal at $919.
    When the spring or valving is wrong will he change it free of charge as part of the purchase price?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information