Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring spacer for rear shock?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Spring spacer for rear shock?

I need to add a spacer to my rear shock/spring to get my preload up a bit. Have thought about getting a nolothane(sp?) one from ripco but not sure if it will fit blah blah. Is there somewhere I can buy such a thing or do I need to get one turned up? Want 10 to 15mm.

Bike
    TF125
    Time to eat a few less pies eh?

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    what do you want to achieve with this spacer??
    a better spring would be a better idea

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    what do you want to achieve with this spacer??
    a better spring would be a better idea
    I dont disagree. But for the sake of a spacer its worth a crack. Spring is 10mm to short so not getting enough preload. The springs in these wee Hornets need big rates, may be looking at a 1200lb in the rear shock. But want to try this first.

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I dont disagree. But for the sake of a spacer its worth a crack. Spring is 10mm to short so not getting enough preload. The springs in these wee Hornets need big rates, may be looking at a 1200lb in the rear shock. But want to try this first.
    have fun

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by hayd3n View Post
    have fun
    In the US guys run 1200 for road and 1300 for track. With 1000 mine is still very soft and gets a lot of squat under power and transitions.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Whiz one up out of a bit of alloy?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Whiz one up out of a bit of alloy?
    I would but I dont have a Whiz up machine. And if I pay a man to do it then I may as well buy another spring. But I dont know if the one I have will do.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Run out of preload with that spring? Will the spacer not just raise the length of the shock a bit - subject to the max extension available?

Must be some cheapish spacer available that would suit. Be worth a e-mail to Mr Taylor to see if he has anything in his workshop - take some measurements.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Run out of preload with that spring? Will the spacer not just raise the length of the shock a bit - subject to the max extension available?

Must be some cheapish spacer available that would suit. Be worth a e-mail to Mr Taylor to see if he has anything in his workshop - take some measurements.
    Spacer is to go under the spring to add to the preload. Not lengthen the shock. But a longer shock does help them so im told.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Are you doing this for ride height reasons or to preload the shock so that it starts and finishes its travel through a different part of the stroke? This argument comes up all the time and people equate ride height to seat height and they're wrong.

You need to get a different spring. The spacer is just going to mess with the way the shock works.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Are you doing this for ride height reasons or to preload the shock so that it starts and finishes its travel through a different part of the stroke? This argument comes up all the time and people equate ride height to seat height and they're wrong.

You need to get a different spring. The spacer is just going to mess with the way the shock works.
    To add preload. Nothing to do with ride height or seat height. Im getting a bit much bike sag and the adjustment is at the end of the range. But the spring is 10mm short to start with. Im a long way off coil binding. A guy that knows what he is doing said this will resolve it. Rider sag is bang on.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Rider sag is bang on.
    Big moobs, eh? There's this website...
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    To add preload. Nothing to do with ride height or seat height. Im getting a bit much bike sag and the adjustment is at the end of the range. But the spring is 10mm short to start with. Im a long way off coil binding. A guy that knows what he is doing said this will resolve it. Rider sag is bang on.
    If the rider sag is correct but the static sag is too much then all adding a spacer will do is fuck up the rider sag.

To get them both correct you need a heavier spring.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    yep and my mum is always right

Thread Information