Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vtr1000?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    More thinking is it slower than what I have? Dont mind only a little faster but dont want slower.
    You need to understand that when the 919 was new it was faster 0 - 160kph than the GSXRs and others of that ilk of the same period. The sport bikes were higher geared though and would leave the Hornet after 160. The Hornet is not slow.

Since the Hornet, I've owned a VFR, a Ducati S4R (996) and the Speed Triple. The latter two have more claimed power, but I don't think any of the three had as much "snap" as the Hornet.

I have ridden the VTR and I don't think you should consider "faster or slower", it will just feel different. So ride it how it wants to be ridden. The VTRs advantage in top speed will be lost in acceleration.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Since the Hornet, I've owned a VFR, a Ducati S4R (996) and the Speed Triple. The latter two have more claimed power, but I don't think any of the three had as much "snap" as the Hornet.
    Much to the disgust of a mate, I beat his modified 06 ZX10 twice off the line. He could get me easily at higher speeds, but sportsbikes are also geared not to loop in first. Third time was a spectacular failure on my part when I tried the same revs at launch technique he was using

Hornet won't match the sound of a twin, no way, get the VTR or another twin for that, but economy, low down grunt, reliability, the Hornet has it in spades. 120k service booked for Friday morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Ride many more VTRs and make the choice from there.
    They're nice bikes, pretty beige handling and go well enough. Make beautiful noises (more or less why I want one). You can make a set of manual tensioners easy enough, which I would do.
    Having piloted a few now I would still own one, but would really want some actual suspension as everyone says. No bloody ground clearance either.
    Only thing I really dislike it the economy on them.

Did I mention noise?

I may have a small penis
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    K1300R
    Huh, MCN has the top speed difference between my Hornet and the VTR as 14kph in the VTRs favor but the Hornet is quicker over the 1/4 mile by .7 of a second. VTR has 97hp to the Hornets 110hp. They have the same torque. The VTR is 1 kg lighter than the Hornet.
    Sounds like whp for the vtr vs crank for hornet, or different dynos? By all accounts (google images) they make almost exactly the same power and surprisingly have an extremely similar torque curve!

VTR though, THAT sound!
    Whats he building in there??

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by raziel1983 View Post
    THAT sound!
    I ride a tub of warm lard with the performance of a neglected ride on mower but. It has Kerker pipes which seem to be straight through tubes with some round bits of alloy on the ends. I love it! It's constantly involving and the most common thing I here is "that sounds like a proper bike".
    Go for it, get a good deal & you won't lose. Thread is 3 pages already, a few VTR fans out there.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I ride a tub of warm lard with the performance of a neglected ride on mower but. It has Kerker pipes which seem to be straight through tubes with some round bits of alloy on the ends. I love it! It's constantly involving and the most common thing I here is "that sounds like a proper bike".
    Go for it, get a good deal & you won't lose. Thread is 3 pages already, a few VTR fans out there.
    Amen to that,truth is if you can ride the thing you will be right up anybodys arse on anything if they cant (and theres plenty out there),go for it and enjoy.V-twins rock especially old underated ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drug dog 036 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	294779  
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Amen to that,truth is if you can ride the thing you will be right up anybodys arse on anything if they cant (and theres plenty out there),go for it and enjoy.V-twins rock especially old underated ones.

I want a TL1000. They aren't under rated in my opinion. I'd feel as though an SV1000 or VTR1000 are the TLs more sane cousins. I want the insane one.

Swap bikes? Mine's pretty sexy (but it's not a V twin)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by raziel1983 View Post
    Sounds like whp for the vtr vs crank for hornet, or different dynos? By all accounts (google images) they make almost exactly the same power and surprisingly have an extremely similar torque curve!

VTR though, THAT sound!
    But i have a Hornet. A fairly modded one at that. So im starting to see a lack of benefit to the change. And you have not heard my bike scream......

But I do like the VTR. But my mind is saying its a bit pointless to change.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Just own both? It's that easy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    I loved my VTR, the Z750 I haven't bonded with - it's just a way to get from A to B. I want another V twin. I would have another VTR I've been thinking about selling the Z to get one.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Its a Boat
    But i have a Hornet. A fairly modded one at that. So im starting to see a lack of benefit to the change. And you have not heard my bike scream......

But I do like the VTR. But my mind is saying its a bit pointless to change.
    So you want to spend around $5k on a bike, perhaps throw another $5K at it to get it to where it suits you (just like the hornet) making it owe you $10K when the reality is, it will only be worth $4K by the time you get it to that point (just like the hornet)

PS: all $'s used in this post are for argument sake use only.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    So you want to spend around $5k on a bike, perhaps throw another $5K at it to get it to where it suits you (just like the hornet) making it owe you $10K when the reality is, it will only be worth $4K by the time you get it to that point (just like the hornet)

PS: all $'s used in this post are for argument sake use only.
    LOL, I wouldnt spend anything like that on the Hornet. Problem I will have with value on bikes is I actually ride them and put Ks on them quickly. Im averaging 30k a year. I wouldnt like to buy a new bike unless It was something I was going to keep forever as the deprecation hit on that is immense.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    LOL, I wouldnt spend anything like that on the Hornet. Problem I will have with value on bikes is I actually ride them and put Ks on them quickly. Im averaging 30k a year. I wouldnt like to buy a new bike unless It was something I was going to keep forever as the deprecation hit on that is immense.
    If it's a long term keeper that's the best way of doing it - buy it new and run it into the ground.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    So keep riding the Hornet and wait for an SP1/SP2? Impractical, uncomfortable, but...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    K1300R
    Well yep, If the only reason your thinking of switching from the hornet to the vtr is for performance, it's a bit of a wash. But which bike makes your wiener tingle?!
    Whats he building in there??

Thread Information