Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Future Classic?

Bike
    So old you won't care

Future Classic?

yeah - I dunno....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-701526462.htm

This thing was not exactly 'top of the tree' when it was new.... Has it got anything going for it other than the price? Opinions???

Cheers

Bike
    Are they selling the company or the bike? Hard to tell from the description.....

Bike
    Street Triple R
    http://www.ducati.com/history/80s/750_f1/index.do

I have seen a road bike with that colour scheme (Italian flag)...

that one is the common or garden variety but to be collectable it has to be one of the factory hot ones. Ducatis are very confusing in that regard especially to us non-Ducatisti.

Like there is a 748 and a 748 either R or SP and you would think they would be similar. Nup. different bore and stroke, different engine castings, Ti rods, different chassis and geometry, CF bodywork blahdeblah. One is very special and the other... not.

this is not.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Yeah I thought - hmm - thats the basis of a cheapish cafe racer thingy... not, wow this must be preseved and all costs...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    The mileage is accurate too, because it's spent 20 years of the last 25 at the mechanics getting heads rebuilt and new valves. A mate of mine had his leg set on fire by one of these lunching an inlet valve and firing burning fuel back through the carb. It was a very entertaining event.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I was/am looking at pre 89 900ss's for a pre 89 thasher but several 750s like that have come up.
    I had a read about them and the 16" wheels put me off, of course later wheels will fit.
    There was one up here for $3500 ( with Dells) recently but I could not find much on the net as they never sold many.
    Paso's hover around the same $ but have you seen the frame on them.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e3c_1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	294832
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I was/am looking at pre 89 900ss's for a pre 89 thasher but several 750s like that have come up.
    I had a read about them and the 16" wheels put me off, of course later wheels will fit.
    There was one up here for $3500 ( with Dells) recently but I could not find much on the net as they never sold many.
    Paso's hover around the same $ but have you seen the frame on them.......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4e3c_1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	294832
    If the one you mention is the one i think it was....then I built it way back for a guy who raced it only occasionally.
    Yes, not particularly collectable. Too much work to do to bring them up to date. There were small runs at the time of the really good stuff - the Santa Monica etc. But those are in collections now...

Bike
    2005 ktm duke 2
    It looks cool!
    I've heard many horror stories about 1980's ducks, you'd probably have to be quite the ducati enthusiast to buy one of that era, if the stories are true.
    It's one of those each to their own kinda things, haha.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    I'd prefer a 1000DS..
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    I had one of those when i lived in Wellington,possibly that one dunno.Cant say ive many fond memories of it anyway though did have some enjoyable afternoons on the Rimituka hill followed by a graze at the cafe.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    bro, give it 50 years, the hyo gt250 will be a stunner, i can hook you up with a sweet deal on a 2010...

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    bro, give it 50 years, the hyo gt250 will be a stunner, i can hook you up with a sweet deal on a 2010...
    Cool a big bucket racer, whats the going rate $5 and scoop of chips?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Cool a big bucket racer, whats the going rate $5 and scoop of chips?
    unfortunately, no. But it might be down to 3000$ today.
    Its like a reverse auction....

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    The only way a 750 sport of that era would become a classic was if it was still in the crate, they were the bare basics introductory model... a plain jane duke.
    Stupid to make a comparison between them and any of the 4 different F1 models, they're a totally different kettle of fish.
    A mate brought one to keep his 500 Pantah company and just couldn't get his head around the handling of the Sport, rode it maybe 10 times in about 3yrs and kept going back to the Pantah, wee fat 16" hoops didn't agree with his style of riding.... he always said the Pantah would cut it to ribbons on a tight road.

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    yeah - I dunno....

This thing was not exactly 'top of the tree' when it was new.... Has it got anything going for it other than the price? Opinions???

Cheers
    In twenty years if its in the same nick,it will be worth more than a modern Panigale.
    Every other Ducati from it's era will be in cottonwool and way out of the price range of you or me.
    These are the affordable bikes for the enthusiast rider to buy now.

Thread Information