Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie's guide to getting on a bike

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    if youre not falling off youre not pushing hard enough.

True of most things in life.
    Thats what She said!

Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Thats what She said!

Goats talk in Akzleland?
    Sticking to the back roads

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Illustrated "How-to" U-turn guide: http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=61243.0

Actually quite helpful as I'm still a bit shaky on them.

Bike
    Between bikes
    No 'fence, but your guide lapses into "I did this" rather than generic advice, in parts.

It's also a tad wordy and waffly. You're stating your opinion, get to it.

Add to gear :
    - Earplugs. Foam, reusable, moulded... just keep trying til you find something you like. Ian Hutchinson grew back four inches of bone in his leg. But once your hearing's gone you ain't ever getting it back.
    - A neck tube - lightweight merino one, ideally. Will keep you warmer in winter; and when doused with water, can help cool you down on hot summer days too.

Other than that, it's nobbad.

Oh, where'd you read that kevlar jeans outperform textile pants? Sauce please.

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    No 'fence, but your guide lapses into "I did this" rather than generic advice, in parts.

It's also a tad wordy and waffly. You're stating your opinion, get to it.

Add to gear :
    - Earplugs. Foam, reusable, moulded... just keep trying til you find something you like. Ian Hutchinson grew back four inches of bone in his leg. But once your hearing's gone you ain't ever getting it back.
    - A neck tube - lightweight merino one, ideally. Will keep you warmer in winter; and when doused with water, can help cool you down on hot summer days too.

Other than that, it's nobbad.

Oh, where'd you read that kevlar jeans outperform textile pants? Sauce please.

Yeah I wanted it to be more of a personal experience yet guide as to how I went about making decisions. Earplugs are definitely helpful, didn't realise until I had been riding on the motorway properly (hadn't done it at time of writing)
    Sadly I can't edit my main post anymore

I just did some reading all over the net about information regarding jeans and textile pants and mainly this was what convinced me: http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=231812
    Saw this site also and kevlar jeans came out weaker than textile pants: http://www.bikebandit.com/community/...s-buyers-guide

When I did shopping around I found bull-it jeans. Their Laser4 type has Covec which is better than the Aramid type used in the above tests, 3.5 times better they say. The jeans were also cheaper/same price as most decent textile pants with the added bonus of not absorbing moisture and degrading the kevlar lining, I could wear them all day to uni etc so I decided to go with the Laser4 jeans.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I started on the questions. 2nd; got this wrong. I have never heard of saccades. I wonder if this could be a legitimate defence in a 'smidsy ' case.

Question 2 of 78
    Why is a motorcycle often not seen by other road users? Select all that apply

A. Drivers of other vehicles don't look

B. Motorcyclists wear dark clothing

C. A motorcycle has a small profile compared to a car

D. Saccades - minute eye movements that render us blind for fractions of a second at a time

You selected C, the correct answer was C, D
    Drivers usually do look but don't see motorcycles because they are small and may be obscured easily by road furniture such as signage, or other vehicles; also we are technically 'blind' between saccades, which are the rapid movements your eye makes between each time if focuses (often three to four times a second), and there are scenarios where your bike can be missed if the driver just takes one glance
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Up to Q8 and not doing so well. Have just twigged, there can be more than one correct answers

It is raining and you are about to stop at a red light, but see that there is a large area that looks like an oil spillage. What should you do to stop safely? Check all that apply.

A. Stay upright

B. Ride through the stop light if it's safe to do so

C. Use both brakes, but apply the front one first

D. Use both brakes, but apply the rear one first

E. Try to steer away from the oil if possible, but don't make any sudden moves, and don't try to steer if you're on the oil

You selected E, the correct answer was A, C, E
    Staying upright gives you the best chance of stopping without the bike skidding from underneath you. Be prepared to put your feet out if that allows you to balance better. It will also prop you up if the bike does slip, but bear in mind you won't be able to use the rear brake if you take your foot off it. Applying the front brake first reduces the chance of a skid, and if at all possible, steering away from the hazard in the first place is preferable.

I dont agree with suggesting thinking about taking your feet off the footrests. 1; you would lose some of your contoll of the bike, and If you are wearing smooth soled riding boots and on a 130+kg bike, you aren't going to have the grip to support that weight anyway.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Saccades are true, it happens especially if you aren't paying that much attention to begin with. When your eyes move, you're temporarily blind, your brain just fills in what should be there until your eyes stop again.

When you do the actual theory test, they ask the question and then you don't pick multiple answers. Instead answer A will have "b,c and e". B will have "a only" etc. Or like A "stay upright, use both brakes only". B "stay upright, use both brakes, try steer away if possible"

Some of the answers also made no sense to me though, you can tell someone who hasn't really ridden bikes has written them up. My BHS instructors advice differed from the answers at times too. But anyway I just did the test so many times that I memorised it and passed it. Better to learn practically anyway You'll never remember every single thing until you practice it.

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Understanding why you have to lean on a bike and countersteering explained in an interesting way: http://www.howfastcanigo.com/howitworks.html

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    One of the best books I have read that helped improve my riding greatly:
    Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch
    http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-T.../dp/1893618072

Local Auckland libraries have a copy
    MUST READ for a newbie!

Thread Information