Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting crackdown in Wellington?

Bike
    Ducati 944
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I lane split, but there's no way in heck I can ever actually stay to the left of the lane dividing line the whole way. I spend as much time passing - moving - cars on the right of me (naughty) as I do passing cars on the left of me (not naughty).

So technically, whether or not any officer thinks I'm splitting "dangerously" or not, I could easily be given a ticket any day I ride to work.

I'd be very surprised if there are many that didn't apply to.
    Sure, I split everyday as well, but I want to know specifically what people are actually being ticketed for in this clampdown. It would need to be somethign that is clear to establish - what you describe we all do is genarally hard to observe and provide evidence for.
    Motorcycle songlist:
    Best blast soundtrack:Born to be wild (Steppenwolf)
    Best sunny ride: Runnin' down a dream (Tom Petty)
    Don't want to hear ...: Slip, slidin' away, Caught by the Fuzz or Bam Thwok!(Paul Simon/Supergrass/The Pixies)

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by 90s View Post
    Sure, I split everyday as well, but I want to know specifically what people are actually being ticketed for in this clampdown. It would need to be somethign that is clear to establish - what you describe we all do is genarally hard to observe and provide evidence for.
    Maybe they are after dorks like one I saw this am who blasted up the left hand side of a line of traffic in the (rather narrow) cycle lane.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by 90s View Post
    ... and provide evidence for.
    Cop saw it (or thinks he or she saw it) = evidence.

(But yeah, if someone who actually got a recent ticket could spill ...)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    My money is on the wanker riders doing 60,80 or more K's an hour splitting 10-15 kph moving traffic. I've split past coppers heaps of times even had occasion to say hello, never once been pinged for doing it, moving at reasonable speed compared to traffic, they don't mind that, but what is happening out there is that the rossi's of our ilk are screwing it up for the rest of us. We'd be as well to start giving them stick as the poor ol po po's doing their job as ordered.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2009 Yamaha Majesty 400

It's on again ...

It does seem like there is one particular officer interested in this specific manoeuvre in Wellington, and he is now on a 2-wheel beemer regardless it's wet or dry. His usual fishing ground is around the gorge in the morning. So watch out.

Just of curiosity, has anyone challenged lane-splitting against the authority? Succeed or not, worth it or not please can you share your experience?

Bike
    raptor 1000
    im in Bejing at the moment everybody lane splits here, busses trucks bikes scooters its fucking insane

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly-Ray View Post
    It does seem like there is one particular officer interested in this specific manoeuvre in Wellington, and he is now on a 2-wheel beemer regardless it's wet or dry. His usual fishing ground is around the gorge in the morning. So watch out.

Just of curiosity, has anyone challenged lane-splitting against the authority? Succeed or not, worth it or not please can you share your experience?
    As suggested, keep the speed down, relative to the surrounding vehicles. Police dont actually 'recommend' lane splitting, but if done keep to no more than 20km's higher, and dont lane split above 50kph...
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    im in Bejing at the moment everybody lane splits here, busses trucks bikes scooters its fucking insane
    There are protocols though, and the number one rule is: leave a gap, any gap at all and the nearest vehicle WILL fill it.

Accept that and things become much clearer and more predictable. And astonishingly enough it produces no more carnage than any western system.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    And astonishingly enough it produces no more carnage than any western system.
    its only astonishing, to you, because youre so old, and white

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly-Ray View Post

have seen this particular epitome of humanity on a few mornings, always writing someone up. I tend to arrive in town before the build up begins. Have to say the vast majority of other drivers dont seem to mind filtering IF you give them time to see you, quite a few will even move aside. There will always be one or two pricks who will swing towards the paint and cut you off...whatever.......

I have heard it said that the cop in question is a bit of a Norman-no-mates, his colleagues think he is a prick as well. Maybe he is a KB member? Fits the profile!
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Saw a bike cop ticketing a rider, about half way around the South bound curve of SH1 - just past LV Martin. About 7:45 a.m.

Traffic was moving well, conditions were perfect, and I had several bikes split past. No drama from anyone.

I do see occasional downed bikes in that general area, but it doesn't seem like nearly enough for any kind of crack-down to occur.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    have seen this particular epitome of humanity on a few mornings, always writing someone up. I tend to arrive in town before the build up begins. Have to say the vast majority of other drivers dont seem to mind filtering IF you give them time to see you, quite a few will even move aside. There will always be one or two pricks who will swing towards the paint and cut you off...whatever.......

I have heard it said that the cop in question is a bit of a Norman-no-mates, his colleagues think he is a prick as well. Maybe he is a KB member? Fits the profile!
    Wonder if he was the prat on foot ticketing bikes at the protest last month??
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    GSX1300R
    So how do you know their only crime was lane splitting or filtering? They may well have done something else to draw attention to themselves.

I've split lanes during times of congestions and had officers make room for me. Be courteous, keep the speed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    So how do you know their only crime was lane splitting or filtering? They may well have done something else to draw attention to themselves.

I've split lanes during times of congestions and had officers make room for me. Be courteous, keep the speed down.
    I dont but in forae other than this one there has been discussion of a particular cop, on a bike, who tends to pull people for filtering/splitting in the area where SH1 and SH2 merge. I have seen the same guy on a few occassions, all I know is he is always writing. THis is unusual in my experience because A: I recognise him as the same guy and B: he is always writing, never having a discussion. I have seen same cop writing up car drivers too, presumably they were not lane splitting.

I try to travel at times where I am unlikely to encounter congestion, but life being what it is its sometimes unavoidable. So I split. Like you I have split past cops, even had them wave at me as I pass. 99% of motorists seem happy for me to do this. In part because I believe I do it in a way which is courteous of other road users and partly because they are probably just decent folk who have other things to worry about than stopping me make progress. So I agree with you keep the speed under control and remember you are only one of many people using the road.

THe 1%? mehhhhh

I tend to avoid splitting in area which has been mentioned because whoever this cop is he has a rep for pulling bikes which split. Perhaps that makes him effective at his job?
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I do see occasional downed bikes in that general area, but it doesn't seem like nearly enough for any kind of crack-down to occur.
    One is enough isn't it?

People who get twatted while splitting should not have been splitting. Throw in the whole legality of it and it is bound to attract enforcement.

Thread Information