Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting crackdown in Wellington?

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Great collection of idiots. Love the one with the scooter who pushed the other scooter into the car. What was the Harley rider thinking in the first vid...
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    2009 Yamaha Majesty 400
    Quote Originally Posted by DougieNZ View Post

Or we can all put in $20, hire a good lawyer so that the case be heard (and appealed if necessary) through the court system. Then we can actually have some legal precedent so that we ALL know where we stand on this issue.
    Good idea. I am in.

I know of someone who has appealed his lane-splitting ticket twice to police infringement bureau and both got rejected. He is now undecided if he will request court-hearing. Any advice for this guy?

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
    Certainly the bureau is the first step - though decision will be up to the individual making it. Those decisions would indicate that the police believe they are on solid ground. The next step would be to take it to court. I would imagine that the case would be heard by a JP. It would also be wise to take a lawyer along at that stage If the decision goes against you there - there is an appeal process AFAIK. The court will set precedent (at a variety of levels). We might not agree, but at least we would all know the answer!!

Personally I don't like the chances of this activity being proven legal - but then I'm not a judge.
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
    The thing is if you want to appeal you would need the patience, time , lawyer(s) and $ to do so. Plenty of people pull the pin at police, JP , District Judge level for a variety of reasons or below that level complain on here... One thing I can guarantee is that complaining on here will NOT set legal precedent! :-)
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    2009 Yamaha Majesty 400
    Thanks for the advice, Dougie. Will pass it on.

Bike
    aprilia Tuono
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly-Ray View Post
    Good idea. I am in.

I know of someone who has appealed his lane-splitting ticket twice to police infringement bureau and both got rejected. He is now undecided if he will request court-hearing. Any advice for this guy?
    Is your mate in Wellington Ray?
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen" Douglas Adams (1952-2001) - not riding a TUONO then!

Bike
    2009 Yamaha Majesty 400
    Quote Originally Posted by DougieNZ View Post

Personally I don't like the chances of this activity being proven legal - but then I'm not a judge.
    Whether it's legal or not, it should be made clear to road users (and the public) so people know what to follow (or choose to breach), instead of being in a discretionary area where we don't know where we stand upon.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha Majesty 400
    Quote Originally Posted by yevjenko View Post
    Is your mate in Wellington Ray?
    Yes. Any advice for his case would be appreciated. PM me if preferred.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Whether it's legal or not, it should be made clear to road users (and the public) so people know what to follow (or choose to breach), instead of being in a discretionary area where we don't know where we stand upon.
    I think most of us know that if we get ticketed for it (passing on the left) in flowing traffic that the law's not on our side. Splitting done safely at low speeds the police don't generally bother us, they are good people with a tough job to do who cut us some slack.

Seems however in this thread their's one officer who's going to ticket anyone he catches splitting and the law's on his side. The partition, public discussion/education, lobbing for a law change are good steps forward. But taking this to court more than likely will get police more motivated (public pressure) to crack down on this if the media are bored that day or some turkey get's their 15 seconds of fame. Uneducated public discussion (media coverage) is never a good thing so don't invite it unless your dam sure your right. You can bet every granny will want to have there say.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha Majesty 400
    This is where the annoyance arises.

While NZTA has confirmed lane-splitting can be legal and will officially include the term in the next edition of Rode Code, we still get tickets for it? Is that just me or it's not even sensible?

Bike
    TF125
    This is where the annoyance arises.

While NZTA has confirmed lane-splitting can be legal and will officially include the term in the next edition of Rode Code, we still get tickets for it? Is that just me or it's not even sensible?
    So let's legislate the fuck out of it and impose a 30km/hr limit on it while we're at it.

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Still confused how a cop can catch a motorbike splitting in traffic?

Thread Information