Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SIAM: the fix for the SMIDSY

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Kinda distracted me when I started, too. I tried to do it literally as a commentary like you see on the telly but I realised that most of the stuff was not really a hazard once it's registered. I sort of file or discard what I see. Much easier. What I have gained since that wee revelation is looking as far ahead as possible, yeah, we all do that I know, but I mean really seeing as far as I can and registering it. On my daily commute there are stretches of road that I can see a long way through, dropping into & out of a valley, a straight going into a windy uphill etc and my wee "check list" has got me seeing the furthest piece of road where it disappears and everything in between. Twice in the last week I have clocked cyclists just vanishing around the corner at this point giving me reason to be cautious maybe a Km or more from where I spotted them, just wee specks disappearing. The road in between has a clean bill of health sort of so I'm thinking further ahead. I don't think I would have been seeing such detail a couple of years ago, more interested in the line for the next corner. It's manifested in all sorts of ways but basically one thing leads to another to figure out what lies ahead and what I should be doing about it.
    I guess the "hazard scale" and commentary have helped me think further ahead and increased pro active riding.
    Cool, I also look out for driveways, farm gates. Countless the number of times I have seen farmers plough out of a field across or turn left onto a road, along with any animals that might stray.

Country roads - harder to see, sometimes I see the dust kicked up in the distance. Goats, Sheep etc appear from ditches which can be fun. but they tend to turn away and pretend if they don't see me, they wont get hit.

Ducks and opposums are my worst enemy at the mo, they turn around and cross in front LOL now I never assume they are running away - assume nothing is becoming my motto

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroIndex View Post
    At my stage in riding, it's fairly automatic, everything is in two categories. 1). is it mobile (people, vehicles, animals) 2). is it inanimate (parked vehicles, gravel, roadworks, etc)... Mobile stuff, take notice of, be prepared to slow down, stop or look for escapes. 2). Inanimate stuff, do I need to change my road position due to part of my lane being taken up, had the road surface changed at the beginning of a corner etc
    fair enough and perhaps a good way of breaking stuff down

esp the has the road surface changed at the beginning of a corner, I was victim to change in road condition midway through a corner, which I couldn't see.

I look at lot more at the road condition when I ride. As per the old ad - Everything is riding on your tyres

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Just seen this video and I beg to differ.

I've ridden close to 200,000km since I got back into riding ten years ago. Been in lots of situations where cars have pulled out like on that video. But I had a SMIDSY three weeks ago. This occurred literally in the split second when the ute towing a double axle trailer in front of me turned left and a silver Corolla saw a gap and darted across SH1. The road was greasy and I over-braked, went down and slid across the road. Bike is easily repaired and I'm now just about 100%. A good reminder. By the way, the normal gap that I leave in front to give me time to avoid SMIDSY's like that was filled by the ute who aggressively filled the gap from an intersection just up the road.

Weaving would not have been possible in that situation. But I disagree with the approach in principle. If you have enough time to weave, then you have enough time to slow down and move to the right of your lane. If anything, weaving will reduce your traction and ability to avoid a collision. You may weave just when a car behind is overtaking (I note the recommendation to look behind, that means you aretaking your eyes off the primary hazard). And there is no guarantee that they will see you.

So I disagree with SIAM. I propose THAI.

So my rules are:
    - Travel at a speed where you can stop in time (or at least scrub off most of the speed).
    - Look for Hazards
    - Assume that the Corolla, Massey-Ferguson, border collie, etc will move into your path
    - Initiate braking

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Just seen this video and I beg to differ.

I've ridden close to 200,000km since I got back into riding ten years ago. Been in lots of situations where cars have pulled out like on that video. But I had a SMIDSY three weeks ago. This occurred literally in the split second when the ute towing a double axle trailer in front of me turned left and a silver Corolla saw a gap and darted across SH1. The road was greasy and I over-braked, went down and slid across the road. Bike is easily repaired and I'm now just about 100%. A good reminder. By the way, the normal gap that I leave in front to give me time to avoid SMIDSY's like that was filled by the ute who aggressively filled the gap from an intersection just up the road.

Weaving would not have been possible in that situation. But I disagree with the approach in principle. If you have enough time to weave, then you have enough time to slow down and move to the right of your lane. If anything, weaving will reduce your traction and ability to avoid a collision. You may weave just when a car behind is overtaking (I note the recommendation to look behind, that means you aretaking your eyes off the primary hazard). And there is no guarantee that they will see you.

So I disagree with SIAM. I propose THAI.

So my rules are:
    - Travel at a speed where you can stop in time (or at least scrub off most of the speed).
    - Look for Hazards
    - Assume that the Corolla, Massey-Ferguson, border collie, etc will move into your path
    - Initiate braking
    you are taking the weaving to far..its not a weave from side to side in a violent way,its not much more than a repostioning in the lane,but the same move back and forth ,the sideways movement may be more visible to the smidser than path that shows no sideways movement

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    you are taking the weaving to far..its not a weave from side to side in a violent way,its not much more than a repostioning in the lane,but the same move back and forth ,the sideways movement may be more visible to the smidser than path that shows no sideways movement
    Yep, it's about creating just enough movement that your lights aren't "stationary" from a distance.

I've definitely found my foglights I installed on the ZX14 have definitely helped in regards to being seen. It also helps create a wider profile for my bike.

There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Yep, it's about creating just enough movement that your lights aren't "stationary" from a distance.

I've definitely found my foglights I installed on the ZX14 have definitely helped in regards to being seen. It also helps create a wider profile for my bike.
    Bright Image - Far Canal
    Reminded me about 'Close Encounters of 3rd Kind' but I like it

Its really dark in the Waikato at night, so used to AKL street lights

only problem with toooo much light is

blinding yourself when you goto dip and up again - fatigue
    adjustment of the light, put them where you want to see.
    My bike has a nice light but doesn't show much of the road when cornering, ie the sides of the road.
    I have more lights to be fitted that will help like yours

as usual just a small amount of weave/jiggle is enough to attract attention
    Last edited by eldog; 5th September 2015 at 18:16. Reason: forgot about OVERSIZED image-deleted

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R100GSPD

the extra width makes it easier for the onlooker to judge your approach speed,but they may still be fooled into thinking you are a strange car,further away than you actually are.

Bike
    the extra width makes it easier for the onlooker to judge your approach speed,but they may still be fooled into thinking you are a strange car,further away than you actually are.
    You never know ...I've always looked at it like this: single or dual headlight that is close together gives the impression of "distant car"... wide lights (like the fog lights I have mounted on my crash pegs) give the impression of car at actual distance with extra auxiliary lighting. When I throw on hi-beam, it truly is amazing how much road gets lit up. Since installing the fog lights, I am yet to have any cars make any stupid moves. I managed to get two nights (last night and tonight) of back-road late night riding in... lots of fun.
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    R100GSPD
    You never know ...I've always looked at it like this: single or dual headlight that is close together gives the impression of "distant car"... wide lights (like the fog lights I have mounted on my crash pegs) give the impression of car at actual distance with extra auxiliary lighting. When I throw on hi-beam, it truly is amazing how much road gets lit up. Since installing the fog lights, I am yet to have any cars make any stupid moves. I managed to get two nights (last night and tonight) of back-road late night riding in... lots of fun.
    I agree that the wide set lights are better than single,but the are narrower than the average car

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    wtf is he talking about the background movement relative to the car?

Is he just saying that if the car is moving then he's in a SMIDSY situation?

I personally think if the car is moving it's a bit too late to go larking all over the road, even if the driver does see you he's only going to jump on the brakes and block the lane. I think you're best to start looking for escape routes.

I've often approached an intersection with a gut feeling that a car giving way isn't aware of me, and wondered how to alert them. I worry that flashing my high beam might indicate "GO!" to them, tooting my horn from the range I have in mind seems ineffective, staring them straight in the eye seems to work (sometimes you get stink eye back - fuck 'em), but you compromise the rest of your situational awareness. Weaving seems nice, but I worry that it might compromise my road position if I have to make an evasive maneuver.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post

Weaving.
    Only a small weave so you create movement relative to the car/surrounding behind you.

Think of it as if you are in/on the oncoming vehicle and you are trying to see whats ahead when you turn.

A motorcycle and its headlight only show a small shilloette when at a far distance and approximately the same when closer. Often if a car is behind the motorcycle then it may appear as part of the 'vehicle' coming.

Creating a small wiggle will create movement and alert the driver that some other vehicle is there.
    On my bike I put small LED positioning lights which modulate. I put them up high and wide to make the bike appear bigger and closer than it really is. A triangle pattern of lights makes it just a different shape - also helps.

Small weave 50mm not a whole lane movement.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Only a small weave so you create movement relative to the car/surrounding behind you.

Think of it as if you are in/on the oncoming vehicle and you are trying to see whats ahead when you turn.

A motorcycle and its headlight only show a small shilloette when at a far distance and approximately the same when closer. Often if a car is behind the motorcycle then it may appear as part of the 'vehicle' coming.

Creating a small wiggle will create movement and alert the driver that some other vehicle is there.
    On my bike I put small LED positioning lights which modulate. I put them up high and wide to make the bike appear bigger and closer than it really is. A triangle pattern of lights makes it just a different shape - also helps.

Small weave 50mm not a whole lane movement.
    i move from one wheel track to the other and back as i am approaching the intersection

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    i move from one wheel track to the other and back as i am approaching the intersection
    Up this way the wheel tracks are generally just tar bleed and lately with it being wet, slippery.
    i try and avoid these areas. But understand what your doing

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    BMW R850RT
    The effect of two novel lighting configurations on the conspicuity of motorcycles

http://www.trl.co.uk/reports-publica...?reportid=6882

the extra width makes it easier for the onlooker to judge your approach speed.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post

Is he just saying that if the car is moving then he's in a SMIDSY situation?

I personally think if the car is moving it's a bit too late to go larking all over the road, even if the driver does see you he's only going to jump on the brakes and block the lane. I think you're best to start looking for escape routes.

I've often approached an intersection with a gut feeling that a car giving way isn't aware of me, and wondered how to alert them. I worry that flashing my high beam might indicate "GO!" to them, tooting my horn from the range I have in mind seems ineffective, staring them straight in the eye seems to work (sometimes you get stink eye back - fuck 'em), but you compromise the rest of your situational awareness. Weaving seems nice, but I worry that it might compromise my road position if I have to make an evasive maneuver.
    Did you even watch the video?

Thread Information