Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cracked swing-arm?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Gutted, I'd give the wrecker an earful assuming you asked for a anon-cracked one. From that photo, I wonder if it isn't some flaw in how the axle hole was made. If it were punched out without the proper sized spacer, that would put a lot more stress on that area than it would see during the rest of its lifetime.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    In fairness I didn't specifically ask for a non-cracked swingarm, but I didn't also ask the cafe for my coffee to be free of cat piss either. Certain presumptions are probably reasonable.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    In fairness I didn't specifically ask for a non-cracked swingarm, but I didn't also ask the cafe for my coffee to be free of cat piss either. Certain presumptions are probably reasonable.
    Wreckers tend to sell parts as-is, 'well it came off a runner' is about the only expectation you can have. Hairline crack on inside edge of a grubby and bashed up swingarm would be easy enough not to spot I reckon.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Showed the picture to my mechanic engineer friend (and clarified this in this case the crack is centred about the axle hole and doesn't reach the end of the swingarm) and his best guess at this point is a design flaw that allows stress upon the radius when the axle is tightened. Probably due to an improperly sized insert/spacer. Gotta agree at this point I think.

edit: Yeah bogan fair enough. I wish I could have inspected this part before taking it, but the wrecker sent it down from Auckland.

Bike
    Various things
    edit: Yeah bogan fair enough. I wish I could have inspected this part before taking it, but the wrecker sent it down from Auckland.
    I'd be asking him to take it back and refund you as you were replacing a cracked one. If he's a fair/decent cunt he'll do it. If not...tell him to stick it up his arse.

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    Must be a common manufacturing fault

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    I would pick that either the tube spacers are crushing/deforming under use or they are originally manufactured with to much clearance
    between the ends of the bush and the swingarm, either way I would be making more substancial bushes with minimum clearances and
    weld up swingarm
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I'm surprised by the second one being cracked also. It would seem to be a very common problem, or you're the unluckiest cunt ever.

Google searches only seem to show up your threads on the matter, so can't be too common.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    JB Weld it and a coat of paint mate ...............

Interesting as it may well be a factory issue. Wrecker should take it back IMO.

Feel for ya as it would fuck me off knowing that could happen on the other side after welding it up. Again I'd use it as a good excuse to call Spondon in England .......

I wonder if the GS1200ss swing arm would be a direct bolt on - I suspect so.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I wonder if the GS1200ss swing arm would be a direct bolt on - I suspect so.
    Just got me one of those. Want to make it look like e so...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10168070_10152748530067942_1337604817_n.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	296011

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Received used replacement in the post today - this one also has a crack in it. This time on the inside non-drive side. Not sure whether to be pissed at the wrecker, Suzuki or both.

http://imgur.com/xbK42Ou.jpg
    looks to me like it needs a bigger washer around the axle bolt

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Thread Information