Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best sports tourer for medium-long distance all weather commute?

Bike
    Suzuki

Best sports tourer for medium-long distance all weather commute?

Hi all,

Been thinking about trading up to something with some weather protection for my daily commute.
    I live about 75kms from work, in a rural area near water, so I get a lot of fog for about the first half of my ride on cold mornings.

Other than the obvious advantages of rain and cold protection, could I expect to get any improvement in fogging on the outside of my visor from a decent fairing?

I've been looking at various options for a used sports tourer, including Honda VFR, Suzuki RF900, Suzuki Bandit, Yamaha FZR600 (a bit old now), Triumph Sprint ST, and even Honda superblackbird (quite a bit faster than I need, but seem to be great value for money).

Any experience of the above bikes, or other suggestions?

Cheers, Alex.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Do you ride in from Silverdale/Warkworth area? (cause I do tooooo)

Am oogling up a GSX650FU for my next bike (is LAMS cause I is on a learner) but is identical to the GSX650F (except for the decrease power output) - I took the lams version for a test ride and it was brilliant
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Suzuki
    I'm on a parallel course - I ride in to AK from South Head :-). I wasn't even aware of the 650F. I'll have a look, cheers.

Bike
    bandit
    BANDIT - love them.l

I have a 650 (2005 - carbed oil-cooled) for daily transport and a 1250 for the weekends (2009 liquid cooled, injected) ... I've put more than 50thou ks on each bike ... (My dailty commute for the last 20 years has been all open road, except for the last two or three ks into town ...)

Bandits are hugely reliable, they a fucking fun without being totally aggressive ...

Either a used a GSF650 naked or faired or a new one - the GSX650F or the 1250 ... (or even the older 1200s if that's your price range - a mate had/has one - he had 130,000klicks on the clock last time I saw him ...)

I've done Wellington to Whakatāne, stopping only for gas in Shannon and then Turangi - felt great for a straight run through .... I've done more than 1,000klicks in one day - and had no worries.

The 650 feels a little light long distance - the front end can bounce around a little where the 1250 is completely stable (across the Napier-Taupo road for instance) ...

The standard factory settings on the front forks of the 650 are too light - the bike is better if the front suspension is tightened up a little ...

They will scare the hell out of many sports bike riders who think they are shit hot .. but aren't ... I've seen 213 klicks indicated on the speedo of the 650 .. and the 1250 was still accelerating at 245klicks (indicated) when I shut it down because the corner was coming fast ... (I say indicated on the speedo because it is unreliable and can be dead on or up to 10% out ... and errattic with it)

They both have grunt - the 650 runs at high revs and is more like a sports 600, using the gears more produces good results .. while the 1250 is low down power .. they are NOT the same to ride .. (an oil-cooled 1200 may be similar to the 650) .. the 650 motor is very responsive and I can balance it in the corners on the throttle with a little counter-steering ... an injected 650 would be even more responsive ... (I've opened the throttle on the 1250 and had to grab the bars as the acceleration nearly tossed me over the back .. lesson learnt)

I've heard people complain that their Bandit wallowed in corners .. but they never changed down - Bandits corner best at higher revs ...

I run Conti Road Attacks on the 650 because they are fun and the bike is quite flickable .. and PR3s on the 1250 .. because they suit that bike better .. (I had road attacks on the 1250 but it masde trhe bike turn much quicker than I was used too and I was forever lifting it up in corners ...) I don't throw the 1250 around like I do the 650 ...

So all in all, I wouldn't go passed a Bandit - find one and go for a ride ... I'll bet you won't want to get off it ..

They are not hugely expensive as bikes go .. the equivalent in other makes will cost you more than a Bandit ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Do you ride in from Silverdale/Warkworth area? (cause I do tooooo)

Am oogling up a GSX650FU for my next bike (is LAMS cause I is on a learner) but is identical to the GSX650F (except for the decrease power output) - I took the lams version for a test ride and it was brilliant

Hmmm .. I'm not sure .. from my POV the LAMS Bandit 650 is crap - heavy and underpowered - this is NOT a good LAMS bike ... but once you have a licence - hell yes ... get the real thing.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    A
    Your question is missing a budget range for starters...

If I was put in that situation I'd be looking at FJR1300 or ST1300. But really, if you're commuting 150 or so clicks each day, something has already gone wrong logic wise, IMHO. Last time I lived that far from work I had a company car for example...

Bike
    Suzuki
    Thanks Banditbandit, yeah I'm definitely interested in looking at a bandit.

caspernz - good point - I should have put what my budget is. I'm looking at about $5k.
    Any suggestions in that price range?

Bike
    Suzuki
    Banditbandit - do either (or both) of your bikes have fairings? Are they full or half? What sort of weather protection do they give you?

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    I'd look for a V-Strom (Suzuki DL650).

Comfortable, big windscreen, frugal on the gas and will do almost anything. Quite a few in your price range.

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Fairings are gay, so are jap bikes.

True story.

And being gay is bad for your health, also a true story.

aids

True story

Buy a street Triple.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
    Fairings are gay, so are jap bikes.

True story.

And being gay is bad for your health, also a true story.

aids

True story

Buy a street Triple.
    Ummm, thank you for that, errr, nugget. Of wisdom I mean, obviously.

Bike
    Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    I'd look for a V-Strom (Suzuki DL650).

Comfortable, big windscreen, frugal on the gas and will do almost anything. Quite a few in your price range.
    Yeah, I've heard they're a great machine. Unfortunately I just can't get excited about the adventure tourer style bikes. Dunno why - my first bike was an enduro/motocross style bike.
    Cheers, Alex.

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by alexp36 View Post
    Ummm, thank you for that, errr, nugget. Of wisdom I mean, obviously.
    Plenty more nuggets where that one came from.

Fear Not, Kiwibiker.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I've heard they're a great machine. Unfortunately I just can't get excited about the adventure tourer style bikes. Dunno why - my first bike was an enduro/motocross style bike.
    Cheers, Alex.
    You're a little off track if "Style" is more important than the main task that needs to be performed well.

You need comfort, economy and reliability. Enough horsepower to power through a head wind ... but not enough to chew out rear tires faster than necessary. The bigger the bike .. the heavier it is .. and also this adds to faster tire wear. Low speeds in city traffic isn't fun on the bigger (sport) bikes. And unless your Home/Workplace route only involves open road speeds ... look for something comfortable to use in slower traffic too ... (and can lane split with ease .. ??)

The initial budget is one thing ... the weekly/monthly running costs are another. Fuel is the cost most look at ... but each month ... you'll most likely spend more on tires. Add servicing costs (oil/filters/brake pads etc) and you may find it isn't cheap to commute by bike.
    Fun .... ?? well that depends a lot on weather too.

Even the gear you wear for the commute may differ from the usual day/weekend rides.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    bandit
    Banditbandit - do either (or both) of your bikes have fairings? Are they full or half? What sort of weather protection do they give you?
    The 650 is naked - I put a Skidmarks flyscreen on it - it catches a lot of flies - but gives bugger all weather protection

The 1250 has what we used to call a Bikini fairing - I think that might be what you mean by a half fairing .. that's OK ..

But weather protection? I'm not that worried about it - I come from the days of wearing two pair of jeans and an army greatcoat to keep arm - bugger dry, never happen ... so a the modern gear is just wonderful. I kinda think that if you're worried about weather protection buy a car - then you get a stereo as well ...

For around $5grand I'd suggest this: (You didn't specify an engine size) It has the full fairings

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-708396410.htm

Or for just a little more, this GSX650F - the TNAB - the same engine with GSX forks and other bits ..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-696745112.htm

The later models are all a little more pricey ..

Thread Information