Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Riding tired? Please don't

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Your ability to avoid an accident in the example you give is really down to you being a local resident with the knowledge of which direction other commuting vehicles usually head which is something a visitor to Dunedin would not know or reasonably be expected to know.
    I was pointing out just another technique that one can use when it's available. Your comment seems pretty A) obvious, B) pointless?

After focussing on all that I am surprised you are able to be able to look where you are going
    Who says one has to focus on something to see it and be aware of it? Open your mouth more, there's still room for a little more foot.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    The problem with your attitude is it has made you feel bulletproof due to your mind reading ability/luck and you think there is something wrong with everyone else for not having it. You better hope you never loose it eh!!!
    My attitude of self improvement you mean? how would I lose that as by definition it is something I continue to work on. Just stop trying to write off the ability to self improve as luck or mind reading, and give credit where it is due, defensive riding works.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    After focussing on all that I am surprised you are able to be able to look where you are going and often there can be situations where you have to be able to look out for more than one car. I still say you have just got lucky with your situational awareness/mind reading.
    I never saw the word "Focus" in any of his posts ... but you need to get in the habit of looking for clues the driver might be planning something that is NOT in YOUR best interest ...

Those subtle clues ... that just may mean you get the warning bells in your head soon enough ... to make the difference. (between being dead or NOT)

Doing your able best to put yourself in the right place when things are turning bad ... relies on a dam sight more than luck.

Start guessing what other vehicles near you might do to ruin your day (automatically) ... and you will live longer.

Situational awareness is not just knowing where those other vehicles are ... it's being aware of what they could do. And be prepared for it. That may mean covering the brake ... or buttoning off the gas. If all you lose is a few seconds of your time and nothing eventuates ... there's no harm (to you) in that.

Guess right and you'll be happier than you might think you should be ... funny that ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Cars are so much better than motorcycles when one becomes very tired while driving - you can just pull over and have a nap in them - crack a window though. Years back while riding on a long trip I did pull over into a country church and had a nap in the sun in the church grounds.
    I keep a bivvy bag on the bike. Takes up as much room as my spare coke bottle of gas (fuel rated in the form of a note from mum of course).
    Haven't had to use it yet and most of my long night rides begin after midnight, but I'm sure once I do I'll be stoked to have it (and maybe a little high from the petrol and oil soaked into it. Yeehaw).

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Your ability to avoid an accident in the example you give is really down to you being a local resident with the knowledge of which direction other commuting vehicles usually head which is something a visitor to Dunedin would not know or reasonably be expected to know.
    Even as a stranger to an area ... you ask yourself "WHY did he/she do that" .. ???

Unanswered questions get (and keep) your attention.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Not all of us have the mind reading skills of other drivers. The fact you agree with me its hazardous despite your mind reading skills just goes to prove my original point multi vehicle overtakes are dicing with death.
    Well no it doesn't. You are taking a massive leap from a potentially hazardous situation (like overtaking a single vehicle is, or cornering, or slowing down in the wet or, dare I say it, riding a motorbike) and coming up with dicing with death. Absolutely ridiculous and the sort of thing a non-rider like my dead gran would come up with. And I still don't know where you are coming from with this mind reading rubbish. Mind reading = assumption = pain. It is also impossible.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reibz View Post
    Cop came out of a corner on a Hayabusa and passed 3 cars without breaking the speed limit. Sounds legit
    Didn't you hear. That's fine - he wasn't "Tired".

He was high on P.

Clearly his dad's drugs weren't as good as his.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Your mom
    Snort some meth, but only a little, and don't smoke it. Then you won't be tired.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    unless of course you had mind reading skills (like one poster on this thread)
    To a simpleton anything of sufficient advancement looks like magic... To one of advanced ability, it becomes simple.

I think it obvious to everyone except perhaps yourself which of these categories you fit into
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    It was not a single vehicle overtake I said was dicing with death but a multivehicle overtake as if the vehicle in the middle decides to overtake the the one in front
    If you're not comfortable overtaking the middle vehicle in a line of three then why would you overtake the one at the back? It could just as easily pull out to overtake.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender EnZed View Post
    If you're not comfortable overtaking the middle vehicle in a line of three then why would you overtake the one at the back? It could just as easily pull out to overtake.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    What, you mean the rear one would overtake the other two? nah, no way, be dicing with death that would

Also, I've been the lead vehicle in this exact situation, middle car pulled out to pass my shitty hatchback as another car started to pass him; three abreast along a pretty rural highway, no contact at all. we all deaded, 3 times each at least, rolled it 63 times.

Bike
    Between bikes
    But that technique is pointless anyway except maybe for other riders on your commute
    You mean, 'except for any other person who regularly rides a particular road'. Did you seriously think I was offering up some advice only for Dunedin riders? Fuck me dazed.

Bike
    2013 Honda CBR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    The conjecture seems to be snowballing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    sadly died on 11 September 2013 in Wheddon Cross, Somerset
    It could be terrorists!
    "In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society" - Unknown

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I often wonder every day why people do stupid things. But that is in fact the essence of it. Stupid people are just that.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Thread Information