Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road handguards?

Bike
    Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/8ady6uma.jpg

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.
    Oh, I thought your bike looked different when I parked next to it this morning. It's the handguards

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ive View Post
    Oh, I thought your bike looked different when I parked next to it this morning. It's the handguards
    Small world.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Small world.
    Just this country really....

I'm guessing that you'd have to be careful fitting these to a faired bike to make sure... well, that they fit?

Bike
    CB1300

Road handguards?

Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Just this country really....

I'm guessing that you'd have to be careful fitting these to a faired bike to make sure... well, that they fit?
    Depending on the size of the fairing they may not make any difference either. These would not have fit on either of my last 3 faired bikes at full lock. Having said that I have never had ice form on my gloves with a fairing either.

Edit: as to the small world comment I am forever amazed at where I run into people I know IRL. Especially those from overseas.

Bike
    CB1300
    First proper dousing today. My gloves normally leak really badly in that sort of rain. Not today! :twothumbs:

Bike
    CB1300

Road handguards?

Probably my final update:
    I have had these on for approx 650 kms.
    In that time I have ridden through storms bad enough a lot of stalwarts left their bikes at home. Some questioned my sanity. I have ridden in rain so heavy there was flooding at the top of hills.
    I have ridden in sunny cold weather.
    I have not ridden in warm weather.
    Night and day.
    Brand - Alchemy
    Source - http://www.trademe.co.nz/740654469.
    Trader - thirdgear
    Also available with white blades or amber lights.

The same product listed on eBay claims the blades are paintable to colour match your bike.
    Rating for:
    Cutting the wind chill. 3/5
    Head wind stability. 4/5
    Cross wind stability. 4/5
    Simplicity to install. 5/5
    Build quality. 4/5
    Rain cut. 4/5

- not as effective as the Zeta XC hand armour and LED indicators for cutting wind.
    + handling is less affected in a cross wind.
    + there is no noticeable additional drag as there is with my Zeta ones. This could have more to do with the power to weight difference of the two bikes. The Zeta guards live on a DR350.
    - they wobble a bit due to being attached at only one end, but you have to be paying attention to notice.
    + they should fit virtually any bike with one or the both sleeves on the fit kit. Assuming your internal diameter is between 14-20mm.
    + they reach successfully around the larger levers of the muscle bike. Zeta hand armour do not.
    - I had to move my levers in because where they were the levers were longer than the bars. This means my mirrors are less effective. Smallest violin...
    + they make reasonably effective bar end weights.
    - probably not up to bush bashing. Neither is the bike I bought them for.
    - wires are a little spindly.
    + wires being so thin they don't stand out and look out of place.

I am not convinced they make the bike super visible. I am convinced they allow a better perception of my distance and speed for other road users. Anecdotally at least.
    The intersections where a lot of people either pull out or half lurch with a SMIDSY look on their face the drivers have been extra courteous and maintained eye contact.
    While some drivers still try to obstruct me when filtering more drivers see me from further back and move over more smoothly.

Neither good nor bad just an observation, very high cross winds cause a whistling sound. The sound is quite odd if you're not expecting it.

The important question: would I buy them again? For a road bike, Yes.
    Overall for a road bike 4/5.
    Overall for a motard 4/5.
    For an adventure bike 2/5.
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/resa6u8u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/tepuhu4a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/edapu2an.jpg

Bike
    XR200
    Just FYI I made up bars on each side from flat aluminium strap (Mitre 10) for the Ducati and fitted hippo-hands over them in the winter. Totally windproof and waterproof.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Just FYI I made up bars on each side from flat aluminium strap (Mitre 10) for the Ducati and fitted hippo-hands over them in the winter. Totally windproof and waterproof.
    Photos?

Bike
    '04 Suzuki GSF1200n
    Probably my final update:
    I have had these on for approx 650 kms.
    In that time I have ridden through storms bad enough a lot of stalwarts left their bikes at home. Some questioned my sanity. I have ridden in rain so heavy there was flooding at the top of hills.
    I have ridden in sunny cold weather.
    I have not ridden in warm weather.
    Night and day.
    Brand - Alchemy
    Source - http://www.trademe.co.nz/740654469.
    Trader - thirdgear
    Also available with white blades or amber lights.

The same product listed on eBay claims the blades are paintable to colour match your bike.
    Rating for:
    Cutting the wind chill. 3/5
    Head wind stability. 4/5
    Cross wind stability. 4/5
    Simplicity to install. 5/5
    Build quality. 4/5
    Rain cut. 4/5

- not as effective as the Zeta XC hand armour and LED indicators for cutting wind.
    + handling is less affected in a cross wind.
    + there is no noticeable additional drag as there is with my Zeta ones. This could have more to do with the power to weight difference of the two bikes. The Zeta guards live on a DR350.
    - they wobble a bit due to being attached at only one end, but you have to be paying attention to notice.
    + they should fit virtually any bike with one or the both sleeves on the fit kit. Assuming your internal diameter is between 14-20mm.
    + they reach successfully around the larger levers of the muscle bike. Zeta hand armour do not.
    - I had to move my levers in because where they were the levers were longer than the bars. This means my mirrors are less effective. Smallest violin...
    + they make reasonably effective bar end weights.
    - probably not up to bush bashing. Neither is the bike I bought them for.
    - wires are a little spindly.
    + wires being so thin they don't stand out and look out of place.

I am not convinced they make the bike super visible. I am convinced they allow a better perception of my distance and speed for other road users. Anecdotally at least.
    The intersections where a lot of people either pull out or half lurch with a SMIDSY look on their face the drivers have been extra courteous and maintained eye contact.
    While some drivers still try to obstruct me when filtering more drivers see me from further back and move over more smoothly.

Neither good nor bad just an observation, very high cross winds cause a whistling sound. The sound is quite odd if you're not expecting it.

The important question: would I buy them again? For a road bike, Yes.
    Overall for a road bike 4/5.
    Overall for a motard 4/5.
    For an adventure bike 2/5.
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/resa6u8u.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/tepuhu4a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/edapu2an.jpg

After your in depth review of these hand guards, I have ordered some today, along with some blackpool mirrors, shorter/adjustable levers, and some LED daytime running lights.
    Did you have to put inline resistors in for the leds?
    Thinking of getting the handguards hydrodipped.

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
    "Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs."
    "Any colour you want as long as its black" - Henry Ford

Bike
    CB1300

Road handguards?

Quote Originally Posted by drift77nz View Post
    After your in depth review of these hand guards, I have ordered some today, along with some blackpool mirrors, shorter/adjustable levers, and some LED daytime running lights.
    Did you have to put inline resistors in for the leds?
    Thinking of getting the handguards hydrodipped.

Yeah, pretty in depth for an iPhone review with a baby sleeping in that arm lol.
    I am using mine as "body position lights". This is because If identify them as and try to comply with rules as daytime running lights they need to go off automatically if your headlight is switched on. Kind of pointless on a bike with a hard wired headlight in a country that requires use of a headlight at all times. Body position lights just need to be less than 1.5 high.

If you are using yours as indicators and you are removing your standard indicators you will need resistors. If you plan to do the back as less in the future save yourself the heartache. DRC do a replacement relay for LED indicators. $45 ish I think from any northern accessories stockist. Otherwise you need to mess around finding the right resistance. Then repeat when you inevitably match the rear. Mathematically this seems simple but for the DR I had a mech do it, then due to a small issue with clearance and the back tyre I had a need to shorten the wire. Cue fast phasing.
    Bought individually the resistors for four corners will cost more than a relay.

Bike
    '04 Suzuki GSF1200n
    Okay, just realised what I asked and clicked that if I aren't using using them as indicators, I don't need resistors. I will be using my handguards as clearance lights as well. I don't know if I will use the other lights yet. Will post a pic when i have them fitted up.

Bike
    '04 Suzuki GSF1200n
    Got the Handguards on and they z are brilliant. Cuts the wind chill on my hands very well.
    Also fitted some "Blackpool" mirrors, Shorty levers and put on the rim stripes. Not to sure on the rim stripes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1404262097643.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	298667  

Bike
    CB1300
    Looking good. Give the rim stripes a few kms. They always look awkward on day one but can really make a bike pop.
    But then they can still look awkward. Only way to know is see how you feel in 2000kms.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    How are these hand guards surviving?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    How are these hand guards surviving?
    Mine are all sold with their bikes. Will probably get more for the SDR though, it don't have heated grips and for me the road handguards are a good solution.

The Acerbis ones in particular look to be made from good materials but a few friends have the cheaper ones and they look as good.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information