Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honda NC750X

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    So I just couldn't let it go; signed on the dotted line today on a barely used Japanese import NC750X with ABS + sundry extras today, didn't even test ride it.

Right now the right side of my brain is smiling, while the left is looking at it ruefully and shaking it's head. Or the other way around, or neither...

Picking it up Thursday.
    Was that a black one at Botany? Givi Trekker side luggage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Titanium (??dark silver anyway) at Cyclespot. No luggage but quite a few accessories including an aftermarket exhaust which will be new for me - do loud-ish pipes save lives as well?

Only one I've seen for sale with ABS. Which a lot of people probably think I don't need.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Good on you Rodney, sundry extras = luggage?
    Ooops missed your post, thanks Mark.

Mainly the aforementioned pipe (Mugen) plus a few Honda accessories (heated grips, centrestand, bigger screen), and some crashbars (old-school sticky-out ones), some massive (to me) fog lamps and a handlebar brace (??).

Luggage-wise i'm going to lash out on a new top box and keep my soft side bags, plus the bike has 20 litres built in (some might call it a scooter in drag but I don't care so there).
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    As of today that is mine

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    From 51hp to 54hp. One wonders why they bothered giving what is obviously a commuter bike an extra 3hp.

And since when is 3hp from a 75cc capacity increase anything to shout about...

I mean, I love the helmet storage and all that kinda guff. Just wish the thing wasn't so asthmatic.
    I think more the low down power increase a 50cc doesint sound like alot but it has made big diffrence apprently

my word bit slow arent they the 750cc version came out more than year ago

must be like there spare parts service bloody terrible i might add still waiting on some o rings 4 months and counting

then make out a xr 200 pil pump gasket is no longer avaible on engine thats been sold in the millions yeah right

to be honest i brought 13 brand new hondas and just about had enough blue wing honda . must worst honda importer in the world.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mc F View Post
    Big chance is the 6Nm more torque and if I am not having a senior moment I think they spaced the transmision ratios wider..........meh............ I have ridden and it is a NC700 with more........so imfomatave am I

I like them a lot they are not as bland as the article suggests YMMV
    I was lucky enough ride custom version and the engine was 700cc version was bloody nice i was expecting to hate it.

as i had read where sort runs out steam real fast at top end . but i thought be like sewing machine . but got charcter dare i say it

when hits higher rpm i pretend it had supercharger had that kind sound .

which goes to show its mostley made up in your own head what bike offers you . each to there own i guess .

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Still truckin' along with mine .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	774.0 KB 
ID:	321255  
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    As of today that is mine
    Enjoy, I'll mention it to the old owner when I see him next. He's now on a Trumpy Explorer 800, finding it a bit more suitable for the road/gravel he's now doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Enjoy, I'll mention it to the old owner when I see him next. He's now on a Trumpy Explorer 800, finding it a bit more suitable for the road/gravel he's now doing.
    Cheers, I will.
    For me it will mainly be a commuter, occasional tourer and a coaching bike with a few gravel lessons thrown in there.
    So hoping I made a good choice.

I did have my heart set on a VFR800.... But head said that would be as good on gravel as the CBR used to be, if not worse.... I mean I could do it no problem, but it was as skittery as a feral cat.

It is a credit to the previous owner, he set it up well with some nice gear.

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Still truckin' along with mine .
    Sooooooooo. Hows about a bit of blurb of owning one of these? You know, the usual stuff, the good, the bad and the ugly (typically the rider, haha)

No doubt there is a few wanting to hear from a genuine owner as opposed to the usual censored rubbish on the net aye.

Cheers

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    what sort of range do you get to a tank doing the speed limit, nerd?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Sooooooooo. Hows about a bit of blurb of owning one of these? You know, the usual stuff, the good, the bad and the ugly (typically the rider, haha)
    True that! Anyhoo here's a quick summary from my perspective (only really having ridden smallish bikes in my whole riding career) from commuting around Auckland with the occasional open road excursion.

Describing it as an SUV or 'soft roader' in car terms seems apt. It feels heavy to me at slow speeds (on particularly uncoordinated days I might even have called it a 'pig' by accident) but nice and stable once underway. Handling-wise very neutral, but then I don't push things; the bumps on scenic drive aren't exactly smoothed out, but they don't seem to unsettle things that I've noticed. Haven't tried it on gravel as I'm still a bit put off by the aforementioned weight issue.

Engine and gearing are veeerrrry relaaaxxxed which is what i was looking for, so thumbs up there, makes for a stressless commute. First gear might be a little too tall, having said that? Gearbox can be a little vague, probably more my problem than the bike's.

Don't like the front brake - thought it was sticking the other week, that just seemed to go away by itself, but in general I feel like I have to pull on it quite hard to stop, to the point where I expect the ABS might even kick in, but it never does, and the bike always stops. So I guess there's not much 'feel' to be felt. Actually I've never felt the ABS kick in on the front, even when practising emergency braking, so I wonder sometimes if it's even working. Paranoia probably (hopefully, anyway.)

Everything else suits me just fine, cheap to run (I'm averaging 4l/100kms mainly commuting) and easy to live with.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    what sort of range do you get to a tank doing the speed limit, nerd?
    Haven't ever tracked a purely open road tank, but in general use I get 250-300kms before the 'reserve' starts flashing.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Actually I've never felt the ABS kick in on the front, even when practising emergency braking, so I wonder sometimes if it's even working.
    I've never had a bike with ABS but have driven heavy vehicles with it, and my car has it. I have done some "spirited" driving in the car but the ABS has never kicked in. The only time it operated in a heavy vehicle was once when I braked on wet grass.

The only people I know who deliberately made the ABS cut in on a bike knew what they were doing. Your version of emergency braking is likely more like mine than theirs.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Righto, a review from me.....

Previous bikes: 92 CBR600 F2 until I took up racing it, Ninja 250r which I rode on the road before racing it, 98 GSX600F, 88 CBR400 (Many years ago for 5 years... before that I was young and silly on a few 2 strokes

One Thousand k's down on the NC750X

This bike is awesome for me! It is everything I need in a bike.
    I have used it mainly to commute over the motorways and cut through traffic in Auckland. Future uses will be instructing and two up touring.

So far I average about 3.5 l/100k! Exceptional considering the "car park" that I have had to filter through.

I took it out for a spirited ride to Maraetai Beach to pick up something off Trade Me.
    What I didn't expect was the road work that was going on, but the NC didn't give a hoot!
    I know the CBR was as skittery as a feral cat on road work, but being a "Soft Roader" the NC just ploughed on through (Note the Tractor Reference).
    Away from the lights it is like a diesel (Or some other very torquey motor). First is tallish, in the same way and reason my Clubsport is.
    It has so much torque it needs to be tamed a little otherwise you would hit the rev limiter far too soon.
    There is only a few seconds from launch to 6500 RPM. Remember it is actually half a car engine in there!
    I laughed as a Repsol CBR6 was screaming away beside me as we left the line at a set of lights and the NC was putting away keeping up. All the while he was burning up clutch plates and making a noise about it... I kept up for the most part, not that I was actually racing.
    Once he was over 8000 RPM and doing some stupid speed I just sat back and smiled to myself... I can do that stuff on the track, but on the motorway network of our biggest city you just look like a twat!
    The weight is highish on paper (compared to off roaders with lights) and when physically moving it around it is a little bulky, but it is easier to manoeuvre at low speed than my CBR 600.
    This is not an off roader with lights though. If I was doing more dirt stuff, I would get a dirt bike. However shingle roads and things like that, this is awesome.
    Mine doesn't have ABS. It does stop very well, as I discovered as I was coming up very quickly on a line of traffic that decided to stop suddenly. No dramas at all. I had quite good feeling through the stop. Nissin callipers have come a little way in the past 25 years...

Fuel economy is unreal. I don't buy motorcycles to save on gas, but with this one you really do! 14 Litre tank is ample and you need to get off and have a rest at that point anyway. 340k before the "light" (Actually the final bar flashing) is a long ride without a break.

Filtering through traffic is great, right up until you have two SUV's side by side too close to each other... The mirrors are the same height as the NC! Haven't hit any yet, but use caution when filtering anyway.....
    Sometimes it seems like the car drivers are absolute muppets, but as a car driver too, I too find it hard to spot a bike doing 40km/hr between all the stationary traffic.... So exercise caution anyway.

I am yet to load it up and do a two up tour. I suspect that it will be a little limited, but I have done a 2-up fully loaded tour on a CBR400 before (and GSX600F), so this will be luxury! Especially with hard luggage.... Oh, and the massive storage box in the front.

So there is the story so far.
    I will add more as I ride more.... Off for a two up trip to Hamilton and back one night next week, so will let you know.

Thread Information