Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with expired temporary imported motorbike

Bike
    moto guzzi NTX 650 1989

Problem with expired temporary imported motorbike

Helle guys,

Back in 2007 I shipped my Moto Guzzi NTX to New Zealand to ride it around the Islands while I was here on a working holiday.
    But my dad passed away and I had to return home to take care after my family. I left within 24 hours and left everything at a friends house. Including the bike.
    Now I've come back to complete my trip, we have got three months, of which I spend two weeks working on the bike to get it back on the road, and I now want to register it, but I'm running into problems.

The bike was when I first got it here on a Temporary Import Entry. This would last for a year.
    This as you understand is now expired. I've paid the duty and now the bike is fully imported according to customs.

The bike is in very good condition, so I don't expect any problems regarding WOF and REG, but the paperwork is the issue.
    The guy at VTNZ was not very helpfull (I was there more than a week ago and he said he was going to ring me back).
    He said the bike has to be vinned, but since it is only for two months, it might not be worth it (he reckons it's gonna cost $800,-).
    This half what the bike it worth.
    Time is also slipping away from our precious holiday time and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I went back to VTNZ and asked if he had made the call to Wellington but he only said: I was gonna ring you wasn't I?

We have now come to the idea of swapping number plates of a friends bike but I'm not really into that actually.

I would not mind spending some time to get it Vinned, but 800 dollars is out of my reach.
    Anyone knows what it really costs? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim
    Exploring New Zealand on my working holiday...

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by timpel_800 View Post
    We have now come to the idea of swapping number plates of a friends bike but I'm not really into that actually.
    do it.........

Bike
    less than I used to have
    do it.....

Bike
    2013 Honda CBR250R
    do it...

...also you could try the AA instead of VTNZ. In my area when I was trying to get my license and some lessons sorted VTNZ were almost useless, AA sorted it in minutes.
    "In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society" - Unknown

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    The cost is around $800 for the check and vinz #, plus WOF and reg cost.
    The fine will be $150, plus demerits, but they might be a dick and make you get it towed.

But that's if you get caught.

Just speak to them in Nederlands or some other language, pretend to not know, and they will more than likely let you off.

Bike
    moto guzzi NTX 650 1989
    Thanks for the replies.
    I also made that calculation Boris, that is indeed a good way to think about it.

I will definitely consider the numberplate swapping. Thanks, that's got my mood up again !

Bike
    gsxr1000
    Thanks for the replies.
    I also made that calculation Boris, that is indeed a good way to think about it.

I will definitely consider the numberplate swapping. Thanks, that's got my mood up again !
    So if you get a ticket for any reason would the cops remove the plate from the bike? if so you would be screwed

Bike
    moto guzzi NTX 650 1989
    If we are swapping the plates, we are also going to fix a little aluminium frame plate on which we stamp some things like the year and the model

Bike
    TF125
    Do it.

The Dutch have always been good forgers.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    After looking at the police programe on TV they only prevent unregistered and warranted vehicles from being driven if they are found to be unsafe as well. Is there a fine for vehicles being unvinned as we'll?
    To get Registration it needs to have current Vin check. To get a WOF ... it needs a current registration license label.

The applicable fine for not displaying either is (I think) $250 for each offense.

Actions of the Highway Patrol Officer roadside rely a lot on his/her discretion at the time.

Having plates fitted that are not applicable to his bike ... will not enhance this discretion in any way. And possibly drop his friend in the shit too ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    If we are swapping the plates, we are also going to fix a little aluminium frame plate on which we stamp some things like the year and the model
    Wouldn't bother. As I understand it you've got a plate but it's registration isn't current?

In which case while your chances of being caught are the same with the expired or swapped plate the cost of being caught with the swapped plate are much higher.

If you don't misbehave unduly you'd have to be very unlucky to be pulled over, and if you are you're on your way again with no more than a slap on the wrist.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    To get a WOF ... it needs a current registration.
    That is actually quite incorrect. To get a registration licence (rego) it needs a current WOF, not the other way around. Early start today FJ?

Bike
    moto guzzi NTX 650 1989
    Maybe I should've been more clearly. If we are swapping plates, I'm going to get a new WOF and Rego for the bike! Should be not a big problem I guess. It's a moto guzzi and the bike were I get the plates from is also a Guzzi. Different model but still hard to tell the difference.

Bike
    Assorted British
    Maybe I should've been more clearly. If we are swapping plates, I'm going to get a new WOF and Rego for the bike! Should be not a big problem I guess. It's a moto guzzi and the bike were I get the plates from is also a Guzzi. Different model but still hard to tell the difference.
    You will need to get the WOF issued while the plate is on the original bike as they will check the VIN to see that it matches the paperwork. Once that is done then swap the plate over and update the registration, if necessary, at the AA.
    Because both bikes are Guzzis i can't see you having a problem unless you are involved in an accident. If you ride safe and carefully you should be ok.

Bike
    Custom Ag100
    Do it esp if the plates belong to same make of bike & you'll have rego and wof for plate.

Don't ride to attract attention & you'll be sweet.

Anyway what's the worst they'll do? Deport you
    "Sorry Officer, umm.... my yellow power band got stuck wide open"

Thread Information