Thread: Chain oiler kit?

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?

Chain oiler kit?

So I'm toying with the idea of a chain oiler kit, something like this : http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index....oducts_id=1270

Is it the worthwhile investment it seems? Any advice when fitting it?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR250 View Post
    ... Is it the worthwhile investment it seems? Any advice when fitting it?
    YES ... it will double (at least) your chain life expectancy.

Fit as per recommendations of the manufacturer.

Check/fill reservoir before it needs it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Never had a issue with oiling my chain myself .........

however, I reckon that would be a fine unit at a fraction of the cost of the Scott Oiler system (which is horridly overpriced). I'd get the $58 one, spring another $10 for the dual feed tip and Bobs ya ... ! Maybe I will.....

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Never had a issue with oiling my chain myself .........

however, I reckon that would be a fine unit at a fraction of the cost of the Scott Oiler system (which is horridly overpriced). I'd get the $58 one, spring another $10 for the dual feed tip and Bobs ya ... ! Maybe I will.....
    I can be lazy, why oil the chain when something can do it for you as you ride? If it oils it AND prolongs life (maybe) Then its a double win and something I'll end up doing.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Tried both the manual and auto, the manual is very small in capacity and a bit of a pain remembering to turn the thing off (more of a pain than I thought it would be), I threw it out.
    I now have their Auto Oiler (as in your link) installed on both my bikes and if the scotty craps out on J's bike I'll stick a Tutoro Auto oiler on her bike too.
    I'll never get another Scotty now I've found the Tutoros.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Always till this bike oiled my own chains (or had shaft drive), as mentioned it's no 'biggie' to oil it yourself, but I decided to be lazy and put a scottoiler on. Absolutely a well oiled chain lasts heaps longer. I am on 60k and the chain is still fine. Where an oiler has advantage is, on a long ride, or weekender you know the chain is consistently lubricated, rather than 'drying out' as you ride. Worth doing IMO.

I am sure the TUTURO units are good, I just preferred to go for the Scott unit.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    looking after your chain is important, but you don't HAVE to have the auto-oilers. Scott make a well regarded one as well.

Personally, I prefer to lube the chain manually myself - doing so gives me a chance to look at other things regularly, like chain stretch, tyre wear / damage, any play in wheel bearings and bushes, and give the rest of the bike a good look over too.

I have found over time that I usually come across things that need attention when I was actually looking at something totally different on my bikes - knowing the chain needs a lube every couple hundred kms keeps me intimately acquainted with my bikes' state of repair.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I use Scott oilers. Some have issues with them when they run chain bar oil through them or some other random crap. But a Scott oiler running scott oil works very well.

I have found running them to the front sprocket cleaner and much less hassle. Looks better to.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I use Scott oilers. Some have issues with them when they run chain bar oil through them or some other random crap. But a Scott oiler running scott oil works very well.

I have found running them to the front sprocket cleaner and much less hassle. Looks better to.
    Agreed, I also run mine to the front sprocket, cleaner, tidier looking!
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    CB1300
    Was it difficult to find the right angle to drip to the inside run of the chain at the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Was it difficult to find the right angle to drip to the inside run of the chain at the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No. Just need to think about it a bit.

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    I'm going to do this. First things first, finish bodywork and paint it. Doesn't look to hard to do, seems like a worthwhile investment.
    Skulls N Flames. Bye bye FZR may you have many more miles with your new owner. 600cc time soon!

Bike
    2003 Aprilia Tuono Racing
    I have a spare, unused Lubeman you can have for $50.

Quote Originally Posted by FZR250 View Post
    So I'm toying with the idea of a chain oiler kit, something like this : http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/index....oducts_id=1270

Is it the worthwhile investment it seems? Any advice when fitting it?
    witty bit goes here; please ensure you have upgraded from the embedded 1/2 witty plug-in

Bike
    CB1300
    If FZR250 is not interested I am.

Sent using iPhone / Tapatalk, so I apologise for crappy auto corrects or miscommunication due to cut down view of thread.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I have had several Scott oilers but can't comment on other brands. In the case of the Scott I'd steer clear of their twin injector model and stick with the single.

The BIKE magazine tester threw the twin nozzle bit away in a fit of exasperation. Basically I did the same. The screw that held the assembly together was tiny, and you couldn't screw it tight enough so that the nib would keep its adjustment. One decent bump in the road and the bugger was dropping oil anywhere but on the chain.

Other than that I've had a good run with Scott Oilers and would have another..
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information