Thread: New CBR500R

Bike
    2014 Honda CBR500R ABS

New CBR500R

So I am finding out next week when I will be getting one of these, brand new off the showroom floor.

Now I have been looking at a few mods,

Pegs, levers, tank protector, og knobs and maybe a slip on exhaust

Came across the below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121208105542

Full unpainted Abs fairing kits

Now I am thinking it would be a good idea to buy a set for around the $300 mark and chuck it onto the bike when it arrives, now assuming fitment is ok (paint I can sort if I want or could vinyl wrap it) it would keep the originals perfect

I'm only going to be keeping the bike for 14months max as I'll be upgrading but swapping the originals back on when I go to sell or on the off chance it has a low speed drop or gets blown over.

Thoughts comments, is it worth it?

I will be getting full insurance but the excess is $500 and tbh the most expensive part of a bike is the fairings

Would it mess with my warranty?

Mainly aiming for minimum risk and loss of value

If I lose 2-3k in the 14months I am riding it due to deprecation that's fine as I'll get the use out of it

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    That's funny, because it sounds like you're aiming for maximum possible depreciation.

Your plan is just fine if that's how you want to spend your money but if you want to minimise the cost over 14 months then buy used and don't fuck around with the unnecessary add ons.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    if you plan on doing some trackdays as well, it probably isnt a terrible idea. but i dont think it will make much of a difference to resale

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Regardless of the other stuff (ie, buy used, don't fuck with it is the best advice), there was a thread on here somewhere about cheap Chinese fairings, and I don't believe they were all that great, and needed modifying to fit. I think the person said yes, cheap, not totally worth the hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Why buy new if your only keeping it for 14 months?

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
    So I am finding out next week when I will be getting one of these, brand new off the showroom floor.

Now I have been looking at a few mods,

Pegs, levers, tank protector, og knobs and maybe a slip on exhaust

Came across the below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121208105542

Full unpainted Abs fairing kits

Now I am thinking it would be a good idea to buy a set for around the $300 mark and chuck it onto the bike when it arrives, now assuming fitment is ok (paint I can sort if I want or could vinyl wrap it) it would keep the originals perfect

I'm only going to be keeping the bike for 14months max as I'll be upgrading but swapping the originals back on when I go to sell or on the off chance it has a low speed drop or gets blown over.

Thoughts comments, is it worth it?

I will be getting full insurance but the excess is $500 and tbh the most expensive part of a bike is the fairings

Would it mess with my warranty?

If I lose 2-3k in the 14months I am riding it due to deprecation that's fine as I'll get the use out of it

work out the loss based on days owned and see what it cost you to own the bike per day kinda like a renta car, very very cheap actually
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    2006 VFR 800
    If I were you I'd wait until you get to a bigger bike that you're looking at keeping for a number of years before I'd go modifying it. Every modification you do to the bike just costs YOU money and does not increase the value of the bike. I learned this with my CBR!

Bike
    CBR 500R

cheap for comfort

definitely the levers need changing to adjustables. the stock exhaust is, too quiet, maybe some suspension tweaking. depending on your weight. I'm only 90kg and stock suspension setting is fine. to me stock fairing looks good. but the windshield can and should be changed. the 2016 model has remedied most f these problems. they still need a louder stock exhaust. in my opinion.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Why buy new if your only keeping it for 14 months?
    I think my Agusta is the only new bike I have owned for more than 14months. Maybe I had the zx14r about the same.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    my little pony
    The only person I know that has a cbr500r is an ol' man, actually he is 75. He doesn't complain about the exhaust sound, maybe he is deaf and doesn't care, or maybe it is just an old man's bike.

Thread Information