Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me some tips for riding in the rain!

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by biketimus_prime View Post
    I.

Should I use my rear brake when coming to a stop?
    Should I use my rear brake as I slow down entering a corner?
    Should I use my rear brake if I need to rub off a bit of speed mid-corner? (Hopefully I never enter it too hot to do that though!)
    Are motorbikes prone to locking up the rear wheel if you mess up a downshift? (letting out clutch too suddenly, over revving etc)
    What else should I watch out for? What are some good practices such as lane positioning, when to open the throttle etc

Sometimes
    Sometimes
    No
    Not all of them
    Other road users ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Cool I shall look into Pinlock visor options or even the visor inserts as I don't have an anti fog coating or anything. However I don't hold much hope as there is hardly anything available for my Box BX-1 helmet.
    I do ride well within my limits even when there is a group of us and it's easy to get carried away. I think my younger days of being stupid in cars taught me it's not worth being a hero on the road.
    I never realised how slippery the road is even when you put your boot down! I've had it slip on the manhole covers and I see what you guys mean about them being slippery!

Great youtube video thanks, that guy is really easy to follow. The other videos I watched though they only pulled the bottom of the cable out of the gearbox housing to expose the cable so all the dirt and oil runs out to a rag they place around it whereas this guy takes the whole cable out.

Thundercross looks good, I wouldn't mind going for it if I ever get the chance, maybe during uni holidays. Thank you for offering me the chance to join you guys

Oh one more thing, after riding in the wet like the guy in the video says, should I always lube my chain? Is it really that crucial?
    Also my owners manual says to use light engine oil, otherwise the O-rings get damaged. However the last owner has been using this green and white castrol chain lube spray. It says it's safe for O-ring chains. The bike has a new DID X-ring chain installed too. Is the castrol spray ok? I lube my chain about every 400km as it is.

What other components should I tend to after riding in the rain? Should I wipe the bike down after I pull into the garage or let it just dry itself off.

Bike
    bandit
    Oh one more thing, after riding in the wet like the guy in the video says, should I always lube my chain? Is it really that crucial?
    I oil mine once a week - needs no more than that ..

Also my owners manual says to use light engine oil, otherwise the O-rings get damaged. However the last owner has been using this green and white castrol chain lube spray. It says it's safe for O-ring chains. The bike has a new DID X-ring chain installed too. Is the castrol spray ok? I lube my chain about every 400km as it is.
    Any chain lube will be fine - I use wax, because I also use it on my boots to stop them squeeking ...

What other components should I tend to after riding in the rain? Should I wipe the bike down after I pull into the garage or let it just dry itself off.
    Up to you - bikes are waterproof ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    I oil mine once a week - needs no more than that ..
    That's generous! I do mine maybe once a month!

OP - I think the general advice is once every 500kms or when necessary, like after a wash or ridden through heavy rain.

Up to you - bikes are waterproof ..
    But not rust-proof!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    2008 R6
    - soften your preload by 3 clicks and throw on some rain tires. Just kidding.

There is so much you could do, but here goes... and this is applicable for rain or dry.
    - Smooth always... dry, wet, street, track, dirt... smooth.
    - Practice, researching how the bike works is great, but the best thing you can do is practice. When I use to street ride I'd practice emergency braking on almost every ride. You should know how to emergency brake from whatever top speed you ride at. Like that if you need to brake from a high speed, you know what to expect. Of course, start from a slow speed and increase emergency braking speeds from there. FYI: It is possible to lock the front and release the front brakes before the front wheel tucks. At first, keep with dry practice (or dirt riding).
    - IMO, the majority of the braking should be done with the front. If it isn't an emergency situation I might tap the rear to settle things down a little, but very little pressure. If it is an emergency, I immediately press on the rear brake fairly strongly while at the same time engaging the front. It takes only a short time for the front to load. As the front starts to load, I release the rear, because at that point the rear brake is doing next to nothing and will lock up very easily. In the wet, one might want to keep on the rear a bit longer, since it takes longer for the front wheel to load. Note on a cruiser, you might need to keep on the rear the entire time. On a sporty bike, no way.
    - Yes you should have things all sorted out as you approach a corner, HOWEVER (and others will disagree on this) if you are going TOO FAST, you need to keep on braking until you have slowed down enough. Using the brakes is the only way to significantly reduce speed. Caveat: As you start to lean, you need to reduce the amount of brake pressure. I don't use my rear in a corner. If I want to brake in a corner, I have already started braking before the corner even started I am trailing it into the corner and at that point the rear has been released long ago. You can start to brake mid corner, but it is difficult.... you need to be smooth, but if you HAVE TO, it CAN be done.
    - As far as getting use to low traction - dirt riding is excellent.
    - You can read in the Survival Section about braking into a corner, tightening a line etc... there are a few threads that cover this.

The BEST thing you could do is a good track school. A track school isn't about becoming a racer, it is about learning skills at the track that will take you many many miles of road riding to learn. Plus, the track teachers can get you out of bad habits quickly.

AND: #1 Rule of motorcycle riding DO NOT TRY TO KEEP UP WITH ANYONE!!!! Ride your own ride.... unless you are racing at the track.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    I'm quite sure the advice applied only to when moving at a constant speed and a straight line only, you can ride over the white lines/arrows. They are to be avoided when cornering, accelerating or braking.
    uhhm,...maybe what the poster wanted to say - but not what was said...quote "only when cornering"......

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice so far everyone
    That reflections thread was great. I do find my visor fogs up frequently if I ride slow so I have to crack it open a bit, but then the wind gets in my eyes. What is a good proven way to stop fogging? I am afraid to put any chemical stuff on my visor as I hear many things can ruin the plastic. Does the potato thing work?

I often get told not to ride on wet white lines or manhole covers. Problem is, some manhole covers are really hard to see until you're right up to them!

I definitely have to be smoother in my actions though. I still get the odd jerky gear change up and down, and throttle jerk. It could be my undoing on a rainy day
    The stuff to use on your visor is a product called Fog Off. Works a treat.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The stuff to use on your visor is a product called Fog Off.
    How rude! Oh wait....

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    That's generous! I do mine maybe once a month!
    Habit - prolly 'cause I was commuting 110ks a day - or 550 ks a week - then you get your "every 500ks"

OP - I think the general advice is once every 500kms or when necessary, like after a wash or ridden through heavy rain.

But not rust-proof!
    See ..

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Riding at open road speeds in heavy rain can have the same effect on your chain as water blasting it. Back in blighty I sometimes oiled mine daily. If not, when I got the bike out next day the rollers would be rusty.

I usually give my bike a wipe down if it gets home wet. No other reason than it's a very quick & easy way to keep it looking clean.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Habit - prolly 'cause I was commuting 110ks a day - or 550 ks a week - then you get your "every 500ks"

See ..
    Si, si...

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Thanks for the tips Metastable. I'm thinking of attending track days but I don't know how my GSX250 (only air cooled too) will handle it. I don't really want to flog a dying horse. It has only 37,000km on it but it's not a bike built for track work is it? It'd be like taking an old toyota corolla to the track...

Lane splitting in the rain, anyone had slippery encounters as they cross over white lines? I find myself going over them regularly as I go between cars and some guy won't move over enough to let me pass etc, never done it in the wet so far and as everyone is saying watch out for road markings, I don't want to dent someones door!

Supercheap has a sale on now, time to get some kerosene and more chain lube

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Lane splitting in the rain, anyone had slippery encounters as they cross over white lines? I find myself going over them regularly as I go between cars and some guy won't move over enough to let me pass etc, never done it in the wet so far and as everyone is saying watch out for road markings, I don't want to dent someones door.
    You seem to be answering your own question?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    Sorry what I'm getting at more is, has anyone had a bad encounter with white lines while lane splitting when it's wet? or do you guys go out of your way to try avoid crossing them at all
    I know it may sound like a stupid question but I'm curious as to how annoying these white lines are in the wet!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Sorry what I'm getting at more is, has anyone had a bad encounter with white lines while lane splitting when it's wet? or do you guys go out of your way to try avoid crossing them at all
    Yes. Not a bin but wheel spin on acceleration & front lock ups. Super slippy bits of road in UK citys.
    Nowadays in the rain I only filter onto "good" road. It's hard enough in traffic figuring out what drivers are doing behind fogged windows & peering through a shit covered visor to add slippy bits of road to the mix. Well, for me any hoo.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information