Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ZXR250 vs GSX250 - Fight?

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    if youre going to sell in 5 months, bu the cheapest piece of road legal shit you can find even if its a gn 125 for $500, and tough it out, then buy a decent bike.
    why fuckarse around for the sake of 5 fuckin months? youre only going to lose money on it.
    Agree. If you only want something cheap and cheerful...buy something cheap and cheerful. I have said it on here before, and will say it again...some of the most fun I have had riding bikes was had on my little ZXR250's. If you're reasonably new to riding, I would highly recommend doing 12 - 24 months on one of the higher performance 250's. You learn a lot on much more forgiving and less expensive machines . 600's and 1000's do not have anywhere NEAR the forgiving nature that many of the 250's have.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    The GSX is newer, but it's still 10 years old, so plenty of time to have been butchered and/or neglected. So yes, newer, but don't let that lull you into not looking as hard at it for problems.

Performance, the ZXR every day of the week. Their attitude is much more aggressive, they are more fun to ride.

The GSX is a really basic bike. It doesn't have the rock star appeal of the ZXR, but there is literally less to go wrong and/or maintain.

If you have a car as well, no question it's the ZXR. If this is your only transport, don't totally discount the ZXR, but suddenly there is an appeal to the more basic bike.

Only needing it for 6 months is a bonus... either might give you six months of pain, or six months of bliss.

Look really hard at each bike. Take somebody else to look at them. Ideally your father hates bikes, if so then he is perfect as he'll pick plenty of holes. You want someone who has ridden bikes for a while and knows a thing about them too.

If you're young on a typical crap wage, mad keen on bikes and definitely going to get your full license ASAP, only have 6 months to wait, spend as little as possible. Spend your money on good comfy leathers, a good quiet helmet, you'll get years from them. Spend as little as possible. Both of those auctions are ONO. That means neither seller has confidence in their price. Those are just starting points. If you just can't bring yourself to bargain like that, and don't worry some people can't, find someone who can and have them do it. Some people think it's rude, but I'm telling you now fuck that shit. Every hundy you save is your insurance/wof/rego/petrol/maintenance/oops I fucked it and need to pay my excess, money. Your money. Don't give it to them if you can avoid it.

Having said that. If you're rolling in disposable, ignore all that shit and buy the ZXR. Rape it till it cries enough and hope you've saved enough for the latest 600 you can get your dirty mits on.

There's good info in this thread. Be cold and objective. Don't just read the bits that reinforce what you want to hear.

Welcome to motorcycling, it's fucking awesome.
    I had 3 ZXR250's - one was my main, daily rider. I commuted on it, weekend road it, track day'd it. I serviced it myself, looked after it well, but road it HARD. I could balance point wheelie the thing and corner it so that the sides of the bottom of the fairings rubbed the tarmac. I did 45,000kms on it in 2 years and it NEVER ONCE gave me any issues and was running like a champ the day I sold it. Something I still regret doing. I think that if he finds a tidy one and looks after it, it can be a very reliable bike. I don't think $2.5k will achieve that though..... Edit...had a quick look and there are several around the $3k mark that could be negotiated. OP - ignrore cosmetics, go for something mechanically mint.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Heaps of good bikes available on LAMS without having to piss around with 250s.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    go and research LAMS before you waste time on a clapped out 2 fiddy thats been raped!
    What they said.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I could balance point wheelie the thing and corner it so that the sides of the bottom of the fairings rubbed the tarmac.
    I did that fanging it to St Arnaud a few months ago on one of the hairpins and thought I was the man. Got there and found the clip on the front had come loose and she was swinging in the wind. Ego went back down to sweet fark all haha

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I did that fanging it to St Arnaud a few months ago on one of the hairpins and thought I was the man. Got there and found the clip on the front had come loose and she was swinging in the wind. Ego went back down to sweet fark all haha
    Hahaha...yeah I recall something similar happening to another bloke we used to ride with as well.

Bike
    2006 Honda Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielM8 View Post
    Zxr is far more powerful.. Will win a race any day. 4cyl so the screaming engine you're used to. Gsx is 2 cylinder, much tamer, not as fast, much heavier, but is a sports tourer so more stable on the road, more comfortable, easier to ride, easier on the posture. As a speedcomparison, the zxr should do between 180 and 200 and I imagine the gsx tops out around 180 at most. Power wise, the zxr wins with 45hp and the gsx only has between 36 and 40. Though the gsx should have a lot more torque being a twin.

Sent from my iShit using Tapatalk
    Ha! I'd like to see that ZXR do 200km/h. The GSX is a heavy toad, can't jump much past 150km/h.

Get a Hornet, it's a ton of fun at any speed it's capable of

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Yeah, you would need a good back wind to achieve a true 200kph on any 4 stroke 250. Indicated 200kph...yes, a ZXR250 will do that.

Bike
    1989 Yamaha FZR400
    Yeah, you would need a good back wind to achieve a true 200kph on any 4 stroke 250. Indicated 200kph...yes, a ZXR250 will do that.
    I was probably talking about an indicated 200 then??

Bike
    2015 DRZ400SM, 2010 R1
    I have a GSX250, exact same as in that auction but less mileage. Riding for a month and a bit now. When I first got it, it was good, not great, good. I was used to fast cars already. Now... it's so boring... Honestly so damn boring. Having to commute everyday it's nothing crazy awesome, just feels good because it's a bike rather than a car. Drop a gear and open the throttle and there isn't much there to make you feel all tingly inside... After hearing all this about the ZXR I'm so tempted to sell this bike and get it. Don't get me wrong, the GSX is an awesome bike to suit a learner and meets my needs. It's probably the reason I haven't even had an accident yet. You've already had another learner 250 though and you will be taking a step sideways rather than upwards, so to speak, by getting the GSX.

I like that the GSX is newer and quite reliable as it is. As well as the fact I'm still learning so it's better to stick with this underpowered bike (it also keeps my idiocy in check) until I get my full in a year or two and get a bigger bike.
    Anyway, I think I'd go with the ZXR too if given the option to do it all over again. Even my mate's hyosung gt250r is more fun and faster than the GSX.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I disagree completely. They have smooth, linear power delivery....
    While the two I've ridden I found to be peaky horrible things to ride, I'm not saying they are a bad bike per se.The point I'm making is that they are a lot of bike for a beginner. I've ridden for years but those bikes demanded my complete attention when I rode each for a few days and I remember thinking that it was no wonder the odd beginner tossed them down the road.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    While the two I've ridden I found to be peaky horrible things to ride, I'm not saying they are a bad bike per se.The point I'm making is that they are a lot of bike for a beginner. I've ridden for years but those bikes demanded my complete attention when I rode each for a few days and I remember thinking that it was no wonder the odd beginner tossed them down the road.
    Yeah, they would appear peaky compared to say a 250cc single or twin. I get that.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    While the two I've ridden I found to be peaky horrible things to ride, I'm not saying they are a bad bike per se.
    Odd, I've found the opposite... no discernible peak, just the ever slowly climbing revs that don't appear to even be necessary (i.e. why you wind it out to the red line other than because you're cranked over to the left and physically can't change gears, I do not know). Still a bundle of fun though, but like any 250 you are working the box some (and if you hate doing that, which I don't personally, I can see why you would not enjoy it).

I would call them an enjoyable bike, not a great one.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I think you need another Bandit.

Which is because I am selling mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    lambo
    There's a guy selling this ZXR250 saying he'd consider $2800

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=72...&pid=315138052

But he seems odd insists on me driving to otherside of auckland to pickup rather than meeting halfway even...

Plus new fairings no decals meaning what? Dropped?

I hate buying used -_-'

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    Quote Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
    There's a guy selling this ZXR250 saying he'd consider $2800

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=72...&pid=315138052

But he seems odd insists on me driving to otherside of auckland to pickup rather than meeting halfway even...

Plus new fairings no decals meaning what? Dropped?

I hate buying used -_-'
    It is a 20 year old learner bike. Of course it has been dropped. Doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. It is up to you to inspect it properly before purchase.

Why is it odd that he wants it picked up?

Thread Information