Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KTM backup

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    To the actual questions: brand backup service. Warranty, parts supply and mech service etc

Brand backup service - KTM THEMSELVES 2 out of 10: When I look / read the international forums, KTM at this end of the world are very poor. For example, the extension of warranty, not seen anything. Other things like the on-line service history - fail. The air box design problem on the 1190 2013 required me to talk to the shop owner, who talked to KTM, before they would actually do anything about the issue. THE SHOP I BOUGHT IT FROM 1/10 for service. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Never return phone calls as promised (yes you read that correctly - I cannot remember them ever returning a single phone call as agreed), don't answer emails until the 3rd or 4th chaser, and even then half arsed answers to half my questions. PM me for their name and I'll tell you how it happened for me. If there was another auhorised KTM service agent in reasonable travel distance I'd go there in a nano second.

Warranty: All good. No problems invoking warranty (with the exclusion of the air box issue).

Parts supply: Can't comment as haven't needed any.

Mech Service: Quality = OK, just a pity that it gets used so much! KTMs and from what I can see euros in general need it a lot!. I've owned a whole bunch of new and near new Suzukis, Hondas and Kwakas over the years and there is a gulf between them in terms of little things needing attention. Current bike has a long list of small anoying things that need attention. None of my jappers did / have. Timelyness = crap, took 4 weeks to fix a loose steering head bearing!!!

What you didn't ask is what is the bike like. It is the best bike I've ever ridden by quite some margin. There are a number of reputatable overseas (and even local) bike mags that say it is currently the best all round bike ever made and the safest ever made. Which is why I'm putting up with all of the bullshit above under the belief that eventually all of the issues will be resolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    KTM stand by their product so well they've recently tacked on another 12 months factory warranty to owners of 2013 model 1190 Adventures. The new batch of LC8 powered machines (Adventure and Super Duke R) have 15,000km service intervals.
    Yes, I've read that over-seas people have had letters (with conflicting dates / typos) regarding that. http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=469

Not seen anything from my dealer or KTM here. Mind you they didn't even send me my welcome letter with my codes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Paturoa, I was going to PM you as I see you own one, but you have pre- empted me.
    As to the riding, I have only seen rave reviews so far!
    Thanks Cassina, I am a bit schooled up on the new strom as well and it is definitely still on my list. Mainly cos my 07 Strom has never put a foot wrong in85,000 km!
    I am nearly at the point where I am sick of looking and researching. Test ride time!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Be aware that Gremlin is at the unfriendly end of KTM ownership, a complete bike rapist.
    No... the shop and I were both at a loss as to how I was buckling the rim. Apparently they're stronger than normal... beat me. The sub frame was simply a bad design, but screwing with it would have voided my warranty. BMW is far stronger in that sense (just has other problems instead )

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    I am nearly at the point where I am sick of looking and researching. Test ride time!
    I'm not seeing a down side to this course of action
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paturoa View Post
    To the actual questions: brand backup service. Warranty, parts supply and mech service etc

Brand backup service - KTM THEMSELVES 2 out of 10: When I look / read the international forums, KTM at this end of the world are very poor. For example, the extension of warranty, not seen anything. Other things like the on-line service history - fail. The air box design problem on the 1190 2013 required me to talk to the shop owner, who talked to KTM, before they would actually do anything about the issue. THE SHOP I BOUGHT IT FROM 1/10 for service. They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. Never return phone calls as promised (yes you read that correctly - I cannot remember them ever returning a single phone call as agreed), don't answer emails until the 3rd or 4th chaser, and even then half arsed answers to half my questions. PM me for their name and I'll tell you how it happened for me. If there was another auhorised KTM service agent in reasonable travel distance I'd go there in a nano second.

Warranty: All good. No problems invoking warranty (with the exclusion of the air box issue).

Parts supply: Can't comment as haven't needed any.

Mech Service: Quality = OK, just a pity that it gets used so much! KTMs and from what I can see euros in general need it a lot!. I've owned a whole bunch of new and near new Suzukis, Hondas and Kwakas over the years and there is a gulf between them in terms of little things needing attention. Current bike has a long list of small anoying things that need attention. None of my jappers did / have. Timelyness = crap, took 4 weeks to fix a loose steering head bearing!!!

What you didn't ask is what is the bike like. It is the best bike I've ever ridden by quite some margin. There are a number of reputatable overseas (and even local) bike mags that say it is currently the best all round bike ever made and the safest ever made. Which is why I'm putting up with all of the bullshit above under the belief that eventually all of the issues will be resolved.
    My experience is similar

Took bike in for big service, suggested to them they pull it all to bits to find out what parts they needed to order, but O no they knew better, ordered first bits, 1 month later arrived, then found they needed more parts when started second part of job, 1 month later, bike was ready after nearly 3 months and $1500 later

IMHO KTM Adventures are the best bikes with the worst back up

Love mine and would struggle to part with it even if it sits Idle for a few months waiting for parts, its just that good to ride
     photo Pictures080.jpg

Bike
    a red heap
    KTM's can back up? chur!

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    KTM's can back up? chur!
    They're not even french!

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    After reading up a bit on a ktm forum, it seems they are a bit of a prima donna! Still up for a test ride tho so will have to call in sick one day next week.
    Feeling a bit poorly already!

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bikekid View Post
    My experience is similar

I think that was where you took it as ordering parts for my KTM has been easy, the longest i have had to wait (headlight surround) was a week.

When i needed the top end doing i went to Spectrum not KTM, they were cheaper, and i got it back quicker and just better.

most other things i do myself.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    I think that was where you took it as ordering parts for my KTM has been easy, the longest i have had to wait (headlight surround) was a week.

When i needed the top end doing i went to Spectrum not KTM, they were cheaper, and i got it back quicker and just better.

most other things i do myself.
    I like the guys a spectrum and use them for all my dirt bikes and singles, but not sure I would be keen on them working on an ADV RC8 twin? it takes about 4hrs to get to the heads for a valve check then you have to put it all together again ( might sus them out next time I'm down there to see how confident they are)

BTW rode a friends 350F at Woodhill the other day it was pretty cool

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    After reading up a bit on a ktm forum, it seems they are a bit of a prima donna! Still up for a test ride tho so will have to call in sick one day next week.
    Feeling a bit poorly already!
    I'm suspicious that if you ride one (in sports mode) you best have you cheque book at the ready or you may not sleep that night
    (you probable won't sleep either way)

O dear the worlds gone mad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld5QeWLC28k&safe=active

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I'm suspicious that if you ride one (in sports mode) you best have you cheque book at the ready or you may not sleep that night

O dear the worlds gone mad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld5QeWLC28k&safe=active
    So I have insomnia! Told you I was sick,

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

My 990SM only had one mode... hooligan. Once 6th gear was usable from 120kph (instead of 130kph) power wheelies in 3rd were far too easy to not do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    How they are meant to be ridden.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    How they are meant to be ridden.
    I very like that!

Thread Information