Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KTM backup

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries

KTM backup

Keen to get some feedback from owners re their brand backup service. Warranty, parts supply and mech service etc. thanks.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    a shiny one... for now.
    watchya buyin?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Looking at a few options but unsure at the moment.. Shame Aprilia dont make a good two up bike with the v4 in it! Yet!

Bike
    a shiny one... for now.
    i've been told that the rear seat on mine is very comfortable! I'm certainly loving the engine. Have you looked at the caponord

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Would you spend 2 weeks touring on it sitting on the back seat? That is what I have to think when I check out a new model..
    Really have to take the advise of reviews on that one as 2 week test rides are getting rare these days. Jo did not find the GTR Kawa comfortable which surprised me. Maybe she just doesn,t have a Kawasaki shaped arse?
    Yes, also would consider the Caponard. Why have they not shoved the V4 in there?

Bike
    a shiny one... for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Would you spend 2 weeks touring on it sitting on the back seat?
    Nope! but then i wouldn't tour on the back seat my legs aren't quite that long. Caponord is similar price to 1190, could be worth a look? Reports i've heard are its quite a good tourer.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Looking at a few options but unsure at the moment.. Shame Aprilia dont make a good two up bike with the v4 in it! Yet!
    Depends what you define as 2up, and posting in road bikes, what you're looking at in KTM. Aprilia does have the Tuono (plus the new one has the V4).

As for KTM itself... it doesn't seem to focus on it's road range quite as much as it's dirt range. Backup, yep, wasn't bad when I owned my 990 Supermoto from 08 to 11. Did think that perhaps the reliability of the KTM was more around the brand than the bike, as I buckled the front rim twice, broke the rear subframe twice, and some other random stuff. That said, I moved to a full blown adventure bike, and the SM never left me stranded... just needed lots of attention

I did find the constant changing of shops to be a little concerning as I really value the relationship with a shop, the history of servicing etc. While owning, Triple X Moto was my go to, then they closed and TMG bought out the kit etc. TMG has gone (was Yamaha as well) and now it's only Cyclespot Euro I think in Auckland. Mech service is the shop, not the brand.

All said and done, I'd probably own another KTM if that's what I wanted. Out riding, gawd, it was a fantastic bike. I did 63,000km in 27 months

edit: That's right... KTM: Keep Throwing Money
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Development of the new big road KTMs has supposedly focused on rationalising service intervals.

Don't know what they are though, be interested to find out.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Depends what you define as 2up, and posting in road bikes, what you're looking at in KTM. Aprilia does have the Tuono (plus the new one has the V4).

As for KTM itself... it doesn't seem to focus on it's road range quite as much as it's dirt range. Backup, yep, wasn't bad when I owned my 990 Supermoto from 08 to 11. Did think that perhaps the reliability of the KTM was more around the brand than the bike, as I buckled the front rim twice, broke the rear subframe twice, and some other random stuff. That said, I moved to a full blown adventure bike, and the SM never left me stranded... just needed lots of attention

I did find the constant changing of shops to be a little concerning as I really value the relationship with a shop, the history of servicing etc. While owning, Triple X Moto was my go to, then they closed and TMG bought out the kit etc. TMG has gone (was Yamaha as well) and now it's only Cyclespot Euro I think in Auckland. Mech service is the shop, not the brand.

All said and done, I'd probably own another KTM if that's what I wanted. Out riding, gawd, it was a fantastic bike. I did 63,000km in 27 months

edit: That's right... KTM: Keep Throwing Money
    I had a ride on Wyns V4 Tuono and loved it, but he didn,t want to swap for me Buell so I had to give it back.
    Basically I am looking for the best compromise of one bike does all.
    My V Strom has been pretty good so far and I have ridden plenty of bikes that I would not have. But am still tending towards the adventure style bikes for two reasons, they tend to have a good comfort level and good suspension for our roads in general. IMO.
    Thanks for your response too, that is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

Bike
    KTM 950ADV,DR750,APRILIA TUONO ,YZ290F
    Blog Entries
    Keen to get some feedback from owners re their brand backup service. Warranty, parts supply and mech service etc. thanks.
    Would you spend 2 weeks touring on it sitting on the back seat? That is what I have to think when I check out a new model..
    Really have to take the advise of reviews on that one as 2 week test rides are getting rare these days. Jo did not find the GTR Kawa comfortable which surprised me. Maybe she just doesn,t have a Kawasaki shaped arse?
    Yes, also would consider the Caponard. Why have they not shoved the V4 in there?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynw View Post
    Nope! but then i wouldn't tour on the back seat my legs aren't quite that long. Caponord is similar price to 1190, could be worth a look? Reports i've heard are its quite a good tourer.
    Owning both KTM and Aprillias, so completely unbiased , would go Coponard for your needs, the original Rotax engines were Beautiful and super reliable so expect similar from the new Aprillia engine and the Coponard has reportedly the best active suspension on the market
    http://caponord.aprilia.com/en/versions.html http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/03/25...pecifications/

Would be in Motorcycle heaven if my KTM had the Tuono Rotax in it (plus a better seat)

PS, unless you are a serious offroader the KTM may be overkill especially with a pillion

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks 10, having just sold a rotax powered Buell, it is a taste of power that i am also wanting hence these big bikes. there has been talk of Eric Buell producing a rotax powered adventure style bike later this year as well, but I am not going to hold my breath on that one. Ihave been checking out a lot of reviews and the KTM seems to win a lot of approval. Will look for the Caponard ones now!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Caponord sure looks interesting.

The thing I like about adventure bikes is the long travel suspension, which makes mincemeat of NZ roads. As for one perfect do all bike... she's a hard road. The BMW isn't perfect, but it's by far the best bike for everything I do.

I presume you're looking at the 1190 Adventure. For you, I'd stay clear of the Adventure R unless you do want to adventure ride, purely because of road tyre choices on a 21/18 combo. On the 19/17 you have some really nice tyres. Bosch brake system on the Adventure is also being raved about.

I'm annoyed at the "support" for Aprilia in NZ, but then the same company is now handling part of BMW's supply chain, with predictable results
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    Thanks for your response too, that is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.
    Be aware that Gremlin is at the unfriendly end of KTM ownership, a complete bike rapist. I'm on my third KTM (with the use of a fourth - my partners) and have had no concerns about the product or parts availability. Servicing is shop dependent.

Mine hasn't broken anything significant and has been generally cheap to look after.
    That's a 690 SM, 200EXC, 690 Enduro R, and 990 Superduke R.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Devil and Gremlin, I have heard stories about Aprilia being a bit useless but recently my mate has his bike sorted by them pretty quick. So they are back on the "consider" list along with the KTM. Apparently the Caponord has the most advanced active suspension.
    A lot to think about and I need to take the time to try and test ride them back to back.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    KTM stand by their product so well they've recently tacked on another 12 months factory warranty to owners of 2013 model 1190 Adventures. The new batch of LC8 powered machines (Adventure and Super Duke R) have 15,000km service intervals.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Thread Information