Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha SR400 reborn

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    I considered it, but the confidence level in Yamaha's quality and reliability won out. Jap-built Yam vs India-built Enfield, where would you spend all but $10k?

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-sr400-benders

Seems to be the fashionable thing to do, so I probably won't.
    To be honest? I think Enfield have invested too much in this bike to make a dog,the companies future on the world market is basically riding on it..... I'd risk the 10k,
    Look the Suzook Savage (650) my local dealer has rebuilt a few, the oil ring can go, and it will empty the sump in just about a ride... Seized motor! I also remember the early XT's had 'head issues'... Low oil feed. So the Japs do have issues at times.

I agree the 400 is a known product, but ... how much would you spend making it 'look' something? (BTW Enfeild spares are pretty cheap too)
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Yep. I saw a Cordia Turbo at the weekend.
    Have a ganders at this cordia.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dY19DBoJJVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Try this one then.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jrq9S-JE__U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Ahhhhh fuck it, its on yewtube.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    he wants the jap import Cordia Turbo
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    I'm a Pom, so buying a RE would have been a very satisfying thing to do but I remain to be convinced of Indian manufacturing - possibly that's coloured by the Lambretta background but...

Neither bike in standard time is perfect so cost to modify isn't in the reckoning.

Maybe a few years of track record and expanded after market down the track for RE, I'd go the other way, but in 5 years? I'll probably be on summat out of Hinckley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer
    a kid i went to high school with used to drive a cordia turbo occas (it was his mums) and had the MOT on the run, their SSS bluebirds and XD falcons couldnt touch it. nor could my 149 powered ej wagon either
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    I'm a Pom, so buying a RE would have been a very satisfying thing to do but I remain to be convinced of Indian manufacturing - possibly that's coloured by the Lambretta background but...

Neither bike in standard time is perfect so cost to modify isn't in the reckoning.

Maybe a few years of track record and expanded after market down the track for RE, I'd go the other way, but in 5 years? I'll probably be on summat out of Hinckley.
    I'm an ex-pat too. Quite possibly a Hinckley product could be the replacement for the MT in a few years, The Thunderbird Commander looks good, but then so does the new 1400 Cali from Guzzi, and I do love my Guzzi's.
    However I digress....
    India is intent on becoming a world player, look at the Bajaj brand, they've had input from KTM, and I think they (under licence) produce the KTM Duke 200, that they have 'based' the new Pulsar 200/400 on.

I understand the 'reluctance' to step outside the 'known' of the SR, but for me the RE would be a second bike.... hell if they ever import the Enfeild 500 'Thunderbird' cruiser as well????
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I'm an ex-pat too. Quite possibly a Hinckley product could be the replacement for the MT in a few years, The Thunderbird Commander looks good, but then so does the new 1400 Cali from Guzzi, and I do love my Guzzi's.
    However I digress....
    India is intent on becoming a world player, look at the Bajaj brand, they've had input from KTM, and I think they (under licence) produce the KTM Duke 200, that they have 'based' the new Pulsar 200/400 on.
    I don't disagree, but the jury's still out IMO and it felt like a bit of a punt. There's a strong argument to say look a Toyota and Nissan's factories in Derby and Sunderland, the UK workforce rescued from a reputation for shit products, but it took a while, didn't it?

Yeah Guzzi's up there, I'm a big time Italophile...Colnago, Campagnolo, Lambretta , Barolo, Penne al Arrabiatta...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    a kid i went to high school with used to drive a cordia turbo occas (it was his mums) and had the MOT on the run, their SSS bluebirds and XD falcons couldnt touch it. nor could my 149 powered ej wagon either
    Shoulda gone Mopar then. 225 VG Val, eats those eighties Mitsis for lunch. Don't put that to the test without a two barrel, and a set of headers though or ya look a bit silly come 80mph.

Bike
    All of them
    I rode the Thunderbird Commander at the Aus launch a few weeks ago. Very nice bike.
    Tenor of the test article is 'Speedmaster on Steroids'.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Bloody hell, that's the way I'd go too!
    Just looked up the specs on the RE Continental GT. Just like the SR it needs to have it's life lit up a bit IMO. 29.1 BHP....bit guttless in this day and age.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    Just looked up the specs on the RE Continental GT. Just like the SR it needs to have it's life lit up a bit IMO. 29.1 BHP....bit guttless in this day and age.
    I could live with it...in small doses.

Bike
    Guess you either 'geddit' or you dont......

My bike was and is 'slated' for being low powered, (some describe it as gutless/breathless as it is 'all over' by 5000rpm). 90bhp is seen as 'small' for max power, but ridden in the 'real world' it's torque and power are adequate, and overall it can keep up with sprotbikes on a 'spirited/general' ride...
    It needs to be ridden with it's design in mind, bikes like the RE are similar, it's a torquey wee motor, will be 'slower and lower' revving than the SR400. Agreed it's best performance is going to be around the 'national limit' speeds, it's 'fun zone' will be on tight twisty roads and even the 'Taka's would be fun.

Sometimes it's the ride, not the 'ultimate speed' you can reach.

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Guess you either 'geddit' or you dont......

My bike was and is 'slated' for being low powered, (some describe it as gutless/breathless as it is 'all over' by 5000rpm). 90bhp is seen as 'small' for max power, but ridden in the 'real world' it's torque and power are adequate, and overall it can keep up with sprotbikes on a 'spirited/general' ride...
    It needs to be ridden with it's design in mind, bikes like the RE are similar, it's a torquey wee motor, will be 'slower and lower' revving than the SR400. Agreed it's best performance is going to be around the 'national limit' speeds, it's 'fun zone' will be on tight twisty roads and even the 'Taka's would be fun.

Sometimes it's the ride, not the 'ultimate speed' you can reach.
    Haha...yes I actually DO geddit. None of my 10 bikes make any more than about 75 HP and all of them are spirited rides on the right roads. but I really think the GT could have made more than a poultry 29 HP. Even the older Indian RE's made less than the original Bullets due to tiny wee carbs and ports. Torquey yes...but not much go. I know several people that own or owned them, that sorted them out a bit in the power dept and they were then quite good rides. I'd still rather ride my Velo Thruxton tho!

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Haha...yes I actually DO geddit. None of my 10 bikes make any more than about 75 HP and all of them are spirited rides on the right roads. but I really think the GT could have made more than a poultry 29 HP. Even the older Indian RE's made less than the original Bullets due to tiny wee carbs and ports. Torquey yes...but not much go. I know several people that own or owned them, that sorted them out a bit in the power dept and they were then quite good rides. I'd still rather ride my Velo Thruxton tho!
    What does the Matchy poke out Nev?

Thread Information