Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The cheater MX85 argument. I might be changing my mind.

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Ahh boolshit. That Derbi is a peaky 24-25hp. And a bit more than 80 I think but only a bit.

And comparing it with the Works RSA is just moronic. C'mon, none of us are ever going to get anywhere near that potential are we? I mean really.

The comparison with a 40hp RS125 is a target. Heck the RS125 is a HRC racebike. You're not going to beat that, but if you're real skilled you might get close. By the way most NF4s put on a dyno will muster mid to high 30s only, isn't that right Scott?

The lap record Nat recently set is with the tamer engine, about 21hp. The spread of power is important on some kart tracks & the ability of the rider on a rough track is clearly the key factor here.
    yip nx4 all around 35hp , weight is one of the biggists keys in buckets . nat frame been light engine light and him self . with out that its realy not the go

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Ahh boolshit. That Derbi is a peaky 24-25hp. And a bit more than 80 I think but only a bit.
    Yes 24ish and the one I saw on the dyno was not at all peaky, it had a good spread of power and looked well suited to kart tracks.

And comparing it with the Works RSA is just moronic. C'mon, none of us are ever going to get anywhere near that potential are we? I mean really.
    At one time people were pretty convinced that a 24mm carb would limit the 125's to 20hp at best but then just like pulling a rabbet from a hat some moron went and pulled 30+hp from a restricted 125.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hat Rabbit.gif 
Views:	37 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	296924

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    Nothing wrong with change, if they never changed we wouldnt have FXRs in buckets, maybe the 85cc thing is a few years premature as there is no shortage of FXRs or fxr parts.
    I cant see the point in crippling them with stock cdis and small carbs and stock pipes, if you let them in they need to be open everything , porting , pipes, cdis , frames and wheels just like all the other bucket classes , except for the aircooled thing but they just about gone. Crippling them will just lead to cheating keep it simple, if they make fxrs Bclass bikes so be it , new shit comes along every day improve the breed.

so 85cc , competition engines allowed
    thats it !
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    so 85cc , competition engines allowed thats it !
    I already have a KX80 engine in the shed so I am keen ...... and there are so many good looking aftermarket cylinders available for Derbes and the like. A credit card and a weeks delivery from Europe, 85cc and 30hp no problem.

Bike
    husaberg
    Problem i see they have nice CR gearboxs, they have lovely bearings and rods all designed for racing, all stuff not legal for the other bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Various things
    The whole frame thing "one or other" is interesting, but I don't think its necessary given the current performance. I like those kind of rules in some classes, 2 valve, FI, water cooling, any 2 of the above sort of thing.

std mx frame will be too restricting for size/geometry & add cost as shocks/forks would be Waaay too soft for a bloater adult. :
    Odd you should say that. You see...I managed to beat purpose built grand prix machines at many street circuit races back in the day on a very near stock moto-x bike. One thing I never bothered to modify was the suspension. And yes I know an 80cc moto-x bike's suspension is different to a 500cc moto-x bikes...but so are your tracks vs what I was racing on and the speeds I was/you are doing. Maybe I'm not allowed in this convo as I don't race buckets.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Odd you should say that. You see...I managed to beat purpose built grand prix machines at many street circuit races back in the day on a very near stock moto-x bike. One thing I never bothered to modify was the suspension. And yes I know an 80cc moto-x bike's suspension is different to a 500cc moto-x bikes...but so are your tracks vs what I was racing on and the speeds I was/you are doing. Maybe I'm not allowed in this convo as I don't race buckets.
    S'more the 80s are designed for 30kg kids
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Yes 24ish and the one I saw on the dyno was not at all peaky, it had a good spread of power and looked well suited to kart tracks.

At one time people were pretty convinced that a 24mm carb would limit the 125's to 20hp at best but then just like pulling a rabbet from a hat some moron went and pulled 30+hp from a restricted 125.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hat Rabbit.gif 
Views:	37 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	296924
    But 30hp isn't 54hp is it? It's just not a valid comparison to suggest anything like the RSA is possible
    Heck other factories couldn't manage it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Jeez, the convoluted constraints you have to invent just to make everything fair. At least you guys aren't shackled by any need to keep your machines looking like production equipment in order to drive sales while still insisting the race bikes are "cutting edge".

The main knob everyone seems to want to screw with to level the various discrepancies caused by different configurations is capacity. But I've sometimes wondered how you'd regulate a class while leaving capacity completely open.

And what the resulting machinery would look like...
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Bucket Sidecar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Jeez, the convoluted constraints you have to invent just to make everything fair. At least you guys aren't shackled by any need to keep your machines looking like production equipment in order to drive sales while still insisting the race bikes are "cutting edge".

The main knob everyone seems to want to screw with to level the various discrepancies caused by different configurations is capacity. But I've sometimes wondered how you'd regulate a class while leaving capacity completely open.

And what the resulting machinery would look like...
    For a MotoGP $10millon budget each year, I would probably tidy my bike up for production sale purposes...

Bike
    Various things
    S'more the 80s are designed for 30kg kids
    Yeah I hear ya and I appreciate that. But it's a cheaper fix surely than diff chassis etc etc no? Isn't bucket racing supposed to be cheap?

Bike
    Bucket Sidecar
    Yeah I hear ya and I appreciate that. But it's a cheaper fix surely than diff chassis etc etc no? Isn't bucket racing supposed to be cheap?
    No reason it can't be both, everybody is having fun out there, regardless what Grade or experience they have. There is a sharp end and a tail end, just like in every form of racing.

I like it because it has retained a deep appreciation of the home grown talent in this country, and the chance to try different things in a practical engineering way.

Bike
    GPR150
    just remember there is a gp125 class out there

Bike
    KX450 Motard/Flat Track KTM150SX H2R
    have you not ready the thread where someone is building their own supercharger for a bucket, i think compared to that, a frame change is easy

Thread Information