Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The cheater MX85 argument. I might be changing my mind.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I haven't voted because
    a) I don't know the answer yet.
    b) I didn't start this thread for Choppa's benefit. Besides, he'll only build a bike race it once & sell it straight away. Again.

Wouldn't have minded a pork around on that 380KTM.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    How do you figure that?? The poll has the Yes's winning. Or is that irrelevant??
    If its a restricted 85MX we are talking then it is irrelevent for anyone wanting a bike that can compete for the win (freak riders left out of this equation)
    AND
    Because it would only take a petition from the NO voters submitted to MNZ with some form of well thought out arguement to stop any proposed rule change.

Bike
    SW-125R(F4-TF125), ZXRD400, RD250LC
    Blog Entries

The cheater MX85 argument. I might be changing my mind.

I want to ride a two stroke. I don't give a fuck about winning as I don't ride that well. I just want to keep up so I can race someone.

If it ain't smokin', it's broken.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    I want to ride a two stroke. I don't give a fuck about winning as I don't ride that well. I just want to keep up so I can race someone.
    Then you dont need a restricted 85MX. Send me your TF for porting, I'll send it back with what you need.

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    How do you figure that?? The poll has the Yes's winning. Or is that irrelevant??
    Probably irrelevant, the premise of the Bucket rules is that of building hp not buying it, plenty of other standard production classes for those that only want a cheap ride.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    Then you dont need a restricted 85MX. Send me your TF for porting, I'll send it back with what you need.
    But will that work for everyone like me?

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    If its a restricted 85MX we are talking then it is irrelevent for anyone wanting a bike that can compete for the win (freak riders left out of this equation)
    Not everybody wants to win. Skunk isn't wanting one to win on, he's wanting a bucket that is of similar performance to others so he can have fun racing. A field of these things gives exactly that.

Because it would only take a petition from the NO voters submitted to MNZ with some form of well thought out arguement to stop any proposed rule change.
    I'd be amused to see if this actually happened as arguing on the internet is totally different to someone doing it (not saying you wouldn't start a petition as you are obviously passionate about buckets, however, if you didn't then who would?)

Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Probably irrelevant, the premise of the Bucket rules is that of building hp not buying it, plenty of other standard production classes for those that only want a cheap ride.
    That makes No's side of the argument a lot clearer to me. Ta.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that was the premise of buckets... It was more about fun I believe (from talking to people who started it). The engineering came after that.

Bike
    Honda NSR300 track hack
    I think you'll find the original premise of bucket rules was buy a bucket of shit then race it.

Now it is clearly not that any more as the class has developed which is great, now I find the issue is that it is to much of either a financial investment (getting a motor built) or time (building one yourself) to get a mid level bike.

I think important to keep the engine building freedom there for people such as you an even I with the supercharger project. But the reality is that project bikes spend quite a large percentage of time not running. This is why I have a personal interest in the 85s as they are easy, fun and simi competitive. I wont be able to beat richban on my 85, but its quick enough that i'll give it my best shot!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    I think you'll find the original premise of bucket rules was buy a bucket of shit then race it.
    That is true and at the same time as having fun racing it was building your own hp, not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy_Racer View Post
    I think important to keep the engine building freedom there for people such as you an even I with the supercharger project. But the reality is that project bikes spend quite a large percentage of time not running. This is why I have a personal interest in the 85s as they are easy, fun and simi competitive. I wont be able to beat richban on my 85, but its quick enough that i'll give it my best shot!
    I voted no, but totally agree with your thinking here, and I believe that if they are allowed in then the only restriction should be capacity so as the fiddlers can enjoy them too. And lets not forget that there is a guy on an 85 that is totally dominating up here at the moment, so it is possible to build something competitive from one of these.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Rob I think you are wrong to say "And lets not forget that there is a guy on an 85 that is totally dominating up here at the moment" as that gives an impression that it is an MX85. It isn't. What it is is another debate. But I think in its current form it isn't a advantage over other top runners bikes.

There is also the rider factor & he is clearly in tune with that bike & tight tracks.
    By comparison Sketchy actually on an MX85 in a nice chassis, was dueling with Fishe on a Warm FXR in a nice chassis (some top runners were absent though).
    For some time Sketch has other people buying him his larger racebikes so he's no slouch.

I think I'd favour a std ign box if it did go ahead. If I were to buy one I'd ignitech & design a pipe to get it to rev for RR power. That would bring some decent power increases. Now note I started this thread, but I'm not pushing my own barrow. I'm not intending to buy one. Heck I'm going to struggle to afford to rebuild my flawed MB in a stable platform.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    If I were to buy one I'd ignitech & design a pipe to get it to rev for RR power. That would bring some decent power increases.
    Yes, me too and with a Trombone pipe you could take a peaky as all shit engine and get a really decent spread of power.

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Rob I think you are wrong to say "And lets not forget that there is a guy on an 85 that is totally dominating up here at the moment" as that gives an impression that it is an MX85. It isn't.
    No intention to mislead, just trying to point out 85cc's can be turned into something very useful by someone with the inclination to do so.

An MX85 is a very good platform and is no slug to start with, there is plenty of good 2T tuning info about and in the hands of the right person a road racing example could be very competitive.

With Buckets being the premier tuning and development class maybe unrestricted (for all except capacity) MX85's would be a good thing.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

With Buckets being the premier....
    Perhaps if more bucket racers looked outside the class, they might drop the above misconception. Then things may get simpler for everyone regarding the outdated rules governing them.

Bet few bucket racers have the slightest idea what is involved in making a competitive superbike motor.

Bike
    I just lost count
    For what it is worth, in my opinion this thread has run its course and is starting to go in circles.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    RS/KE125, PW50
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Bet few bucket racers have the slightest idea what is involved in making a competitive superbike motor.
    A fat wallet?
    A mechanic?
    A bunch of off the shelf parts?
    Somebody elses time and money?

Come on, I couldn't let that pass.

Thread Information