Thread: Books - "Twist of the Wrist" and "Total Control"

Bike
    Blackbird with a million k's on it

Books - "Twist of the Wrist" and "Total Control"

I got all safety minded a while back after reading some reviews on the internet and bought 3 books on better riding - "A Twist of the Wrist" and "A Twist of the Wrist II" by Keith Code, and "Total Control" by Lee Parks. I trust many of you are aware of these titles, just thought a bit of a comparison between them might be helpful for someone who's considering handing over some hard earned cash.

I'd like to start by saying, anyone who has not read any of these type of books, and who's name is not Valentino Rossi, will likely learn *something*. Maybe not much, but it might save your arse you know?

I'll start with the original "Twist". To be honest, if you don't plan on spending much/any time on the track, give it a miss. There's a lot of good information in there, but you're better off with the other titles. Lots of info about determining the best lines and how to approach your racing career - I guess it's a bit advanced for a fairly relaxed street rider such as me.

"Twist II" on the other hand is exactly the book I was looking for. It takes few reads, with a bit of time spent on the bike in between, to really get what Code is getting at, but I definitely feel that it has the greatest quantity of relevant information for the street rider of all three books. I'm not the biggest fan of Code's writing style though.

"Total Control" is a much more approachable book. It is pitched a little lower than the "Twist" books, but I feel that it was the most useful to me. Lee Parks has obviously read the "Twist" books as part of his research into his own book (he credits Code quite a few times), and he distills the information nicely. In my opinion this is the book that every rider should be made to read.

In all cases, the techniques in these books have made my switch from the CBR250 to the 9R easier than I think it would have been otherwise. There is not much that is hard about riding a CBR250, you can do a lot wrong and get away with it, not much torque to worry about. Proper throttle control and countersteering technique makes the big bike a lot more manageable.

In conclusion, if you're only going to buy 1 book, I'd make it "Total Control" by Lee Parks. If you think you can spring for two, get "Twist II" by Keith Code as well, and if you want to improve lap times the original "Twist of the Wrist" might help you.

(disclamer - I have never ridden on the track I might be wrong about that...)

Anyone else who's read any of the above I'd be interestid in your opinions...
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightytaco
    It's like a bunch of guys talking calmly, sharing advice, all utopian like, and then BAM, drunken hobo slams his jug on the table and tells everyone they need to start punching each other.
    Interesting.

Bike
    Various
    Total Control is excellent.
    I credit this book with making my jump from the XV250 strait to the CBR1100XX easy.

Also read "Ride Hard Ride Smart" has some interesting perspectives on the Hurt study. Worth a read, but no where near as good as "Total Control" and a harder (a bit boring) read.

Bike
    Apriliaaah!
    Have just got Twist and Twist II out from the library (finally arrived, been on back order for weeks!). Had started reading the first one last night, but from what you say, I might put that on one side and read Twist II first.
    I told him,
    "Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?"

He said,
    "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    If you like the twist books and want to do some practice, a chap called steve brouggy at aus superbike school runs classes. Haven't been on them myself but he seems to know what he's talking about. Would be worth hearing from someone who has been on them tho.

Also, sometimes, if you post in Keith Codes forum, you'll get an answer to your questions - all those guys are pretty sociable.
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

I've got Total Control from the library now,haven't read it yet,doesn't look too riveting...I'm reading the dirt bike book I have first.I had a revelation when I read Twist of the Wrist II,like most people do,the first book didn't do anything for me - he explained stuff I knew,but couldn't put into words,and when I tried the exercises on the road,found I was doing most of it anyway.

I gotta put a plug in for Huntly Library here - it has the most impresive motorcycling section I've ever seen....the automotive section has a whole isle,and 1/3 of it bikes.Maybe it pays to have MNZ in your home town.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    ..I'm reading the dirt bike book I have first.
    Motu WHats the name of the MX book you are reading ..is it by Eric Gorr by any chance ??
    Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    1997 Suzuki TL1000s
    Have not read any of the mentioned books but I can reccomend "Sport riding techniques" by Nick Ienasatch.
    Not sure if spelling there is correct but it is a really good book and has helped me a lot.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    im on the waiting list for total control atm

Bike
    2000 BMW F650 Gelande Strasse Baby
    Yep, I'd second the thumbs up for "sport riding techniques". Great book with up-to-date info relating to modern bikes. The author makes the point that many books on the subject were actually written back in the 80's or even earlier and that bikes etc have changed since then.

Hey I went from a 500cc Royal Enfield to a 2000 BMW 1100RT and this book helped make it an easy transition. Got mine out from Auckland central library.
    There is nothing to fear but fear itself...and spiders.

Thread Information