Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250cc club in Hamilton?

Bike
    1992 Kawasaki ZXR 250 C

250cc club in Hamilton?

Hey guys, just wondering if there's a club or group for 250's in Hamilton besides Hamilton motorcycle club? I'm new to Hams and have been riding for a year and 3 months, keen to meet some like minded people cheers

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    It's a pity you haven't had any interest. There are a lot of 250's on the roads. Its quite good to ride with others on similar size bikes. I tried to drum up some interest among the scooter riders in the Waikato. Same response as your thread. Now I just do my own thing.

I do ride a friends 250 Aquila from time to time, to give it a decent run.

Am off up HW22 this Sunday and having a look around the Franklin/Waiuku area. I might return via the Hunua rd to Miranda then back through the upper Waikato.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    None :(
    I ride slow because the bike (or me) cant handle going fast so would be keen. Saturday's out during winter due to sports.

Bike
    1992 Kawasaki ZXR 250 C
    Hey man. Yeah it is quite a pity would only make sense for us 250 riders to stick together, could even be beneficial to learn together as we go. I'm always up for a ride on the weekends so just hit me up 0278903240

Bike
    '09 Bandit 1250s
    Do you ride as slow as you reply?

Bike
    he's back !!!
    not a 250cc club but check out laxed out rides in the meetings/events thread good learner environment group with weds night drinks in the tron somewhere.....
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Cold Riding.

Just to bump this 250 section along. I have a neighbours Aquila 250 parked up in my shed while she gets a new garage built. I've ridden it a few times and the invite is there to use it if I wish. Started yesterday by putting it through for a new wof. Flew through that so this morning I put some gas in it and motored on over to Putaruru to catch up with family.

Christ!! it was cold. I've ridden in winter snow, hail and all kinds of crap but this morning for some reason, I really felt the nip in the air. After the scooter, it was great to be sitting on a full size bike again. The wide bars and tank between the knees reminded me why motorbikes are what they are. On this bike tho' I dont like the position of the brake pedal or the gear change pedal. They are too far from the footrests I dont like the idea of going looking for the rear brake pedal when it is needed. Also the wide tank means my feet are not fully on the pegs. If this was my own bike, I would be changing a few things.

Taking the Pahue rd the bike breezed through the corners. The Aquila is a heavy bike for a 250 and the motor feels slightly breathless below 5,000 revs, but it does pull quite well. The crackle from the twin exhausts was magic after the 2t at full revs. On the Kihikihi- Arapuni road I just rode at 90kph. I've done 17,000k on the scooter over the last 16 months and I guess the slower speeds have become the norm.

Stopped at the dam for a pit stop. ( cold weather and old age ). I'll throw in this pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140717_114208.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	299245

After a warm up at my sisters place, I headed back via the Te Waotu road. Lots of sweeping corners, lots of rolling hills, lots of no traffic. A quick stop at Jones Landing, ( still cold and even older ) then away again. I stopped at a driveway that was lined with old Oak? trees. The driveway was carpeted with fallen leaves and the sun was filtering through to give a lovely reflective winter photo. I tried to capture a rustic winter scene but the photo didn't show the colours as I hoped for.

Name:	IMG_20140717_132438.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	299246

After this I pootled on back to Te A. Now, not this coming Sunday, but the 27th July, I might do a ride on the 250 through the back Waipa/Waitomo roads from Te A to Piopio. This will be on sealed roads ( about 80k there ). Would be a slowish ride, so may suit anyone who has a smaller capacity bike. I'll be leaving the Caltex stn in Te A at 10am. Will drop a post in the Waikato LOR section.

Bike
    1992 Kawasaki ZXR 250 C
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Just to bump this 250 section along. I have a neighbours Aquila 250 parked up in my shed while she gets a new garage built. I've ridden it a few times and the invite is there to use it if I wish. Started yesterday by putting it through for a new wof. Flew through that so this morning I put some gas in it and motored on over to Putaruru to catch up with family.

Christ!! it was cold. I've ridden in winter snow, hail and all kinds of crap but this morning for some reason, I really felt the nip in the air. After the scooter, it was great to be sitting on a full size bike again. The wide bars and tank between the knees reminded me why motorbikes are what they are. On this bike tho' I dont like the position of the brake pedal or the gear change pedal. They are too far from the footrests I dont like the idea of going looking for the rear brake pedal when it is needed. Also the wide tank means my feet are not fully on the pegs. If this was my own bike, I would be changing a few things.

Taking the Pahue rd the bike breezed through the corners. The Aquila is a heavy bike for a 250 and the motor feels slightly breathless below 5,000 revs, but it does pull quite well. The crackle from the twin exhausts was magic after the 2t at full revs. On the Kihikihi- Arapuni road I just rode at 90kph. I've done 17,000k on the scooter over the last 16 months and I guess the slower speeds have become the norm.

Stopped at the dam for a pit stop. ( cold weather and old age ). I'll throw in this pic.

Name:	IMG_20140717_114208.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	299245

After a warm up at my sisters place, I headed back via the Te Waotu road. Lots of sweeping corners, lots of rolling hills, lots of no traffic. A quick stop at Jones Landing, ( still cold and even older ) then away again. I stopped at a driveway that was lined with old Oak? trees. The driveway was carpeted with fallen leaves and the sun was filtering through to give a lovely reflective winter photo. I tried to capture a rustic winter scene but the photo didn't show the colours as I hoped for.

Name:	IMG_20140717_132438.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	299246

After this I pootled on back to Te A. Now, not this coming Sunday, but the 27th July, I might do a ride on the 250 through the back Waipa/Waitomo roads from Te A to Piopio. This will be on sealed roads ( about 80k there ). Would be a slowish ride, so may suit anyone who has a smaller capacity bike. I'll be leaving the Caltex stn in Te A at 10am. Will drop a post in the Waikato LOR section.
    This is a wicked write up man! Really captures the spirit if the ride and that last photo may as well have been taken by a photographer! Really appreciate the input. I might ask a few 250 riders at the uni sometime if they might want to start something up and we can make these smaller capacity rides a regular thing!

That said, going from a scooter back to a motorcycle would be quite a change in itself especially the riding position in the Aquila.
    These last few days have been freezing in general, the old kawa has been struggling to get going in the mornings haha.

I'll be seeing you for that ride next weekend then man, sounds like it would be a good ride

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyu View Post

That said, going from a scooter back to a motorcycle would be quite a change in itself especially the riding position in the Aquila.
    These last few days have been freezing in general, the old kawa has been struggling to get going in the mornings haha.

I'll be seeing you for that ride next weekend then man, sounds like it would be a good ride
    45 years today since getting my motorcycle licence, have owned many bikes of all styles and sizes, so going from one style to another isn't too differcult. I've only been writing ride stories since getting the scooter last year. I post them here.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-scooter-rides

See you next week hopefully.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Kyu, are you interested in the ride this Sunday? I have a workmate who is on his learners and is coming, plus one on a ZX14. Three bikes confirmed so far. It wont be a race but good experience for someone who wants to cruise. Good roads lots of corners.

Bike
    1992 Kawasaki ZXR 250 C
    Kyu, are you interested in the ride this Sunday? I have a workmate who is on his learners and is coming, plus one on a ZX14. Three bikes confirmed so far. It wont be a race but good experience for someone who wants to cruise. Good roads lots of corners.
    Yeah man I'm really keen! Sounds like it would be a good experience. I'm also on my learners atm so I won't feel like a complete newbie having someone else there too. Also sounds like it could be a good learning experience Sorry for the late replies, been a bit busy at uni.

Bike
    Will do a short trip to Otorohanga / TeKuiti or wherever the first hour takes me - see u @ Caltex TeA Sunday 10. Being a bunch of Hyo 250's there is no need to fear

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wharekura View Post
    Will do a short trip to Otorohanga / TeKuiti or wherever the first hour takes me - see u @ Caltex TeA Sunday 10. Being a bunch of Hyo 250's there is no need to fear
    That'll make 3 of us on 250 Hyo's. The chap on the 176hp ZX14 is shaking with fear already.

Bike
    That'll make 3 of us on 250 Hyo's. The chap on the 176hp ZX14 is shaking with fear already.
    That ZX14 has more power than the 3 hyos put together - are u sure s/he wants to tag along?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Donny is quite happy to run at our speeds all day. A very experienced rider, he started work as a motorcycle courier in Capetown for 16 years when he left school .
    Phil rides a K1100, he and I have done many miles together. He can punt the bike along or just be the tail end charlie.

The 250s' can go as quick as it's safe to go on these roads. The run is about not wearing out the footpegs. Two riders will be on their learners so its all about them gaining confidence and enjoying the ride.

Thread Information