Thread: Long distance 50-250cc air-cooled bikes & scooters

Bike
    2010 Honda Cbf125

Long distance 50-250cc air-cooled bikes & scooters

Hello hello all,

Just thought I'd share my 2cents on here.

I've been a rider for 4yrs now and have done some crazy adventures!

I've read a few forums about guys and girls asking about long distance rides on small bikes and scooters.
    I have done allot of rides on these bikes 100-400km rides in NZ,

So this is my beginner guide to a successful ride ---->

These bikes are more than capable of doing this. I would recommend that you -
    Make sure that your bike is comfy and won't give you pain etc
    Give it a good service (New oil, check belt / oil chain, check and or replace brake pads, give your lights a good clean to remove dust etc you'll need to be seen on the highway, check oil filter, fill or change brake fluid, replace or clean spark plug(s) , clean or change air filter, always make sure your tyres are good with lots of grip left and at the right pressure. And check all nuts and bolts are tight

Once you've done this it's time to check the map and plan a route, I like to use 'old' highways that don't get a lot of traffic (I.e state highway 16 over state highway 1 going north).
    I also like to test my bike on a quite road before I go on a long distance on a 'new' bike to see what is a good speed or cruise at (I rode a 08 Suzuki AN125 from Auckland to Dargaville and back my comfy speed was 75kmh where the engine isn't over revving or running redline). Work out how many KM's the trip will be and now work out your stops, I have just ridden a 2012 Piaggio Zip 100 from Auckland - Hamilton I made 3 stops. I've owned 5 air cooled small bikes and a good speed is 80kmh on the highway and I like to stop every 50KM's or every 40-50mins (especially in Summer) to rest my engine and my body. Make your self aware of the petrol stations on the highway / roads and do a quick bit of maths and work out your km/L (make sure you leave a bit in reserve)

Safety :
    You'll need to think ahead and be smart . I rode to Hamilton from Auckland on a cold, dark, overcast morning. The weather forecast said for afternoon rain so I made sure that warm clothing and waterproof gear was packed. I no my gear we'll and no what it can take. I would recommend testing your gear (Go for a quick careful ride on a wet day test your gear in cold conditions and most importantly make sure it's comfy ) . If your going to be going below the speed limit I would suggest a bright hi vis vest (the more colour the better!) I wore a hi vis vest and back back cover on all my rides. Because you a small some motorists won't see you until they get quite close which can be very scary. Your riding position on the road will be critical as cars are like bully's they will push you around because they are big and you are small. Don't be afraid to hold your position on the road! If your uncomfortable with highways sit dead centre to the car you are following or slightly to the right, if you pull to the side of the lane cars and trucks will push past you which will create a danger, when safe pull to the side a signal the traffic to past (use your Indicators when doing this) and carry on. To be a good rider you need to be confident don't be afraid of other people. I have had many experiences with cars trying to tail gate so that I move or they make a dangerous pass and have to cut you off. Just remain calm and clear.

I hope that i have answered your questions about all this

My bikes :
    1998 Suzuki Address Way 50cc - Orewa to Piha (Cruise speed @40kmh)
    Yamaha Jog 07 50cc - Albany to Warkworth (SH16) (Cruise speed @50kmh)
    Suzuki AN125 2008 - Albany to Warkworth (SH16) and (SH1), Miranda / Thames to Orewa (Coast Rd) (Cruise speed @75kmh) very comfy scooter!
    Yamaha Scorpio 08 225cc - Wellsford to Waiuku (SH1) (Cruise speed @80kmh)
    Piaggio Zip 100 4t 2012 - Auckland - Hamilton (SH1) Cruise speed @70kmh)
    2010 Honda CBF125 - Hamilton - Tauranga cruise @75-80kmh

Be safe, happy riding!

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Jeezz!!! I've just been shown how to suck eggs.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    2010 Honda Cbf125
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Jeezz!!! I've just been shown how to suck eggs.
    Not sure if that's a positive comment,

The purpose to this post was to share my experiences etc to hopefully encourage someone else who doesn't much motorbike know how and a small entry level bike to give a long distance ride ago.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AirCooledBiker View Post
    doesn't much motorbike know how and a small entry level bike to give a long distance ride ago.
    hhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttccccch hhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AirCooledBiker View Post
    Not sure if that's a positive comment,

The purpose to this post was to share my experiences etc to hopefully encourage someone else who doesn't much motorbike know how and a small entry level bike to give a long distance ride ago.
    I apologise for my 1st post. Not fair on someone trying to encourage others that small bikes or scooters can do any size trip. I've always prefered the smaller machines myself and have tried to show others through my scooter ride reports ( Waikato scooter rides? ) that an attitude is all you need to succeed.

I took a CBF125F for a short ride a couple of weeks ago. Wrote a short report in the KB Bike & Product Review thread.

my next mission on my scooter is 1,000k in 24 hours. Probably late June.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    FWIW, anyone one a baby bike who does the distances reserved normally for big bikes gets my respect. Doing long trips on small cc bikes unsuited for the purpose and doing it just for the hell of it ... well part of me thinks that these guys are the real bikers. (As long as they don't slow me down).
    Grow older but never grow up

nice, reminds me of my ride i did from auckland to rotarua on a GL145. Such fun.

There was a KB orgainised ride on 50cc bikes auckland to cape reagia a few years back - i didnt go but it looked like a hoot.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Sold
    On one of the 1600 km in under 24 hour rides I did, there was a guy on a Suzuki RG 50 taking part. Not sure whether he finished in time but it was a fantastic effort. I think he also did the Southern Cross ride round NZ in 2003 and finished within the required time - which I think was 6 days then.

Thread Information