Page 293 of 338 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295303 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,395 of 5060

Thread: Friday Night Rants?

Bike
    nightrod
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Purchase is the easy bit. If the Motorcycle is registered to a person without a full license, they (an unlicensed rider) may (or may not) get caught out by a random reg check by patrolling plod if ridden on public roads ... or if stopped for a traffic offense. They usually know the owners details before the red & blues come on. Even with a licensed rider at the controls ... they can expect to be stopped if the registered owner has not got a full license.

I have never heard of anyone prevented from buying a motorcycle (privately or through a dealer) they weren't licensed to ride.

As for Insurance ... even that may vary. They may even sell you insurance ... even knowing under the terms and conditions of the insurance ... your claim will (may) not be accepted.
    I have been turned down by several sellers on Trademe because I don’t have a full license.
    Private and business.

This is news to me.
    Whenever I tell them I don’t have a full license they either cancel the inspection or tell me on the spot.
    Even though I tell them I’m not intending on riding it on the road - I am looking at trying out track.

Bike
    nightrod
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Yes they can. They might not get finance for the bike (depending on the lender) but otherwise it's open season.
    News to me, do you recommend any dealerships that would allow me to purchase?

I’m giving up on Trademe - getting turned down a lot and interrogated about what my intentions are (ie are you going to try ride on the road illegally, which I am not).

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    News to me, do you recommend any dealerships that would allow me to purchase?

I’m giving up on Trademe - getting turned down a lot and interrogated about what my intentions are (ie are you going to try ride on the road illegally, which I am not).
    Wouldn't surprise me a dealership would turn you down, they don't need the bad press if it all goes wrong, ie 'XYZ Motorcycles sold killer bike to unlicensed rider'. And for that matter a lot of private sellers would feel the same. So while it can be done legally, it won't be without some hassle. Regarding you telling them I'm only going to use it on the track, sorry but that sounds like a line. People are cynical dude.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 14th September 2020 at 09:27.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I have been turned down by several sellers on Trademe because I don’t have a full license.
    Private and business.
    I can't recall ever being asked for my license details from any private or commercial seller.

But covering their own ass is their right. However they see fit.

Such is life nowadays ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    nightrod
    I can't recall ever being asked for my license details from any private or commercial seller.

But covering their own ass is their right. However they see fit.

Such is life nowadays ...
    Sounds like I need to take someone like yourself in to the next bike shop to buy it then change it over down at the post shop afterwards lol.

I’d like to think that it’s not because I’m young.
    Sorry I don’t want to throw that card loosely around, just saying....

But nonetheless I’ve considered this option - getting an older kiwi guy to accompany me or purchase it - no one will even bat an eye lid. No interrogations, no asking about my ride history, no testing me on my road knowledge & no side eyes.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    I don’t have a full license.
    ...What, you don't have a full license...a millennial problem arising almost instantly...there are certain criteria that we must adhere to...us old cunts have been having to adhere to them...or not, forever, it seems...are you experienced* enough, or do you think you are just good enough...or owed the recognition...or maybe rules are just for other cunts...it's a millennial trait, I've found...

*Jimi Hendrix...circa 1967...

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Why not? I had mine within 6 months of buying my first m/c in 1978.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like I need to take someone like yourself in to the next bike shop to buy it then change it over down at the post shop afterwards lol.

But nonetheless I’ve considered this option - getting an older kiwi guy to accompany me or purchase it - no one will even bat an eye lid. No interrogations, no asking about my ride history, no testing me on my road knowledge & no side eyes.
    If that is what you need to do ...

But I'm old. Been old for years.

I doubt if it's the other cause you mentioned. Age maybe ...

Bike
    nightrod
    If that is what you need to do ...

But I'm old. Been old for years.

I doubt if it's the other cause you mentioned. Age maybe ...
    Thanks for your help anyways.

I edited my previous post - think I came in a little too hot there.

But for the record I’m not trying to ride illegally. I want to have a track toy for open days.
    Have a work vehicle and too busy to ride during the week. Just want something fun to open up on the track.

Bike
    nightrod
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me a dealership would turn you down, they don't need the bad press if it all goes wrong, ie 'XYZ Motorcycles sold killer bike to unlicensed rider'. And for that matter a lot of private sellers would feel the same. So while it can be done legally, it won't be without some hassle. Regarding you telling them I'm only going to use it on the track, sorry but that sounds like a line. People are cynical dude.
    Thanks OAB for the advice.

Yes not many people buy into my reasoning.

Maybe I will try KB.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 14th September 2020 at 09:27.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Your info says you have a Nightrod, how'd you get that?

Whole story sounds like bullshit to me anyway. You won't get a test ride, but you wouldn't struggle to buy a bike.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    But for the record I’m not trying to ride illegally. I want to have a track toy for open days.
    Have a work vehicle and too busy to ride during the week. Just want something fun to open up on the track.
    Yep I get that. But there's still some out there that think that ... if it sounds dodgy ... it must be.

Sign of the times ....

Bike
    nightrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Your info says you have a Nightrod, how'd you get that?

Whole story sounds like bullshit to me anyway. You won't get a test ride, but you wouldn't struggle to buy a bike.
    Do you want to hire a private investigator as well mate?

I got the night rod though a mate - it’s another one of my toys I keep in the garage.
    I’m looking for another toy.

My daily transport is via my work Ute.

Bike
    nightrod
    Yep I get that. But there's still some out there that think that ... if it sounds dodgy ... it must be.

Sign of the times ....
    Yeah well looks like I don’t even need to go to a Dealership to find those kind of cynical mentalities.

I just need to scroll this thread.
    Prime example of people who judge without knowing the facts.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Previously, a long time previously, when buying a bike from a dealer with whom I'd no previous contact I've been asked about my experience.

That was long before the introduction of OSH and their 20/20 hindsight.

The prospect of legal penalties of one sort or another probably causes a higher degree of caution among reputable dealers these days.

Of course, if you want a test ride they will want to see, and hold on to, your licence. And therein lies a problem.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information