Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    F800GS
    Caution !! Lots of pics to follow

Saturday morning duly arrived and I set of earlyish to make the rendezvous at Cape Egmont for the ride. I wasn't first, but wasn't last as well
    Pretty soon everyone was there...

and I picked up a companion/navigator... Meet BACON !!

He left Melbourne around 7 yrs ago and he's been travelling the globe ever since. Full story here >> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287919 I hope we get on
    Looks like UmoPom is having concerns about his bike, should be more worried about the GPS.
    The day started with a really nice ride around some twisty seal part way up the mountain. Then it was into Egmont village for gas.

Followed by some some more seal and a bit of gravel through to Whangamomona and the forgotten highway. We managed to get past a couple of other riders here, they were having breakfast/smoko in the pub. Bacon and I cruised on following a random selection of roads. Here's part of Opotiki rd, which happens to be no where near Opotiki

We had a little trouble here with the end of one track/route and selecting which one was next. Pretty soon we were joined by another rider, the one we went past going the other way earlier Pretty soon Rosie showed up who actually knows how to use one of these devil box's, and we set off again up Ongarue Waimiha rd. and some more back roads.

We went through Pureora forest somehow, going to the geographic centre of the North Isl.

Then made or way to Whakamaru village and a Veeeery late lunch stop...It's a long way between coffee stops Very unsociable

The others were just finishing theirs so it was a rather quick stop before we followed along. Once again I'm not sure exactly where we went but figured we were on the right track, so long as we kept Boxabits in sight sort of This was somewhere between Whakamaru village and Rotorua

We saw Boxabits parked up next to a lake so figured I stop too and take a pic

We soon saddled up and headed along the purple line (refered to as the p.l. from here ) on the screen, pretty soon I hung a right, following the line and lost B.B.
    We waited here, ready to get a shot of him with a knee down on the super tanker, definitely pic of the week material, sadly, his purple line differed to mine and he never showed

Nevermind, we were getting along o.k. and developing a certain sense of trust, so we carried on. Through more cool, flowing forestry roads. All was good with the world
    Then..... as we made to go left at a fork in the road, following the p.l. we were waved down by a couple of o.a.p's in a willys jeep who said "Dont go that way, the other bikes went that way" pointing to the right I explained about the p.l., Bacon just shrugged so we went right.
    We ended up at lake Rotoehu, a bit confused about where to go next, Bacon did his best to figure it out

But I made an executive decision to hit the seal and head for Kawerau and our digs for the night, although I didn't really know where they were
    It's all good though, I ran into another couple of riders as we were heading in the wrong direction and got where we needed to be

A fine Indian meal followed and some interesting taxi service

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    A reason to ride is to go from one coffee to the next, especially if a sticky bun is involved...

This trip, so far, looks a lot of fun - do you think a road bike could do it, provided taken quietly where necessary?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Am enjoying the report. The back roads are giving me some ideas for future rides.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    F800GS
    Sunday...
    After packing up and fueling up we all sortof headed for Opotiki and breakfast, taking in some more back roads, gravel, Stanly rd, Gabriels gully and Crooked roads. I do have a map of it and I'll upload it once I figure out how to
    I'm pretty sure this is Stanley rd... Horrible rolly gravel

Breakfast in Opotiki

Then it was into the Motu

I took Bacon for the short walk up to the trig to show him White island, but we couldn't see it

Nevermind... We saddled up and carried on through the Motu and onto Whakarau rd, which seemed to go on and on and on and on. Nice day for it though

Windy spur was windy...

I still saw BB occasionally

Bacon poked his snout out of his hiding place when we came to a stop.

I don't know what he was doing in there but everything had been moved when I got into it.
    On to Te Karara for some gas and to pick up a couple of others who's devil box's had stopped working. and we Carried on up Waimata vly rd (?) I was leading 'cause my p.l. seemed to be behaving it's self and BB was bringing up the rear incase thing went pear shaped.

Some more cool forestry roads

with a brief stop for lunch

And we carried on some more. We lost BB somewhere and ended up going further than expected on Mata rd, it was no great hardship Stopped briefly to discuss things where someone couldn't help themselves

A discussion followed where p.l.'s were consulted and the lack of BB was mentioned. I was in the lead and had a functioning GPS so I won
    More cool roads and views

then I realized the GPS was telling me to make a U turn. Time to look at a MAP (old skool rules ) we sorted out an alternative route which turned out to be an awsome ride along Ihunga rd with some unique shrubbery which I had to point out to Woodman
    The Naki boys ride had turned into a NADS ride (with less gorse) We got back onto the main rd and headed for the Cape. Woodman decided to go into Ruatoria so UmoPom and me left him to it and carried on
    Running into some of the others as they were coming back.

Made it

It was decided a walk up to the lighthouse was in order, some weren't keen, but made the effort anyway

The views were worth it

And Bacon had to get in on the act

The other 2 took off when we got back down and left me to get organised, another pic, just cause I can

I felt something tugging at my leg on the way back and wondered what it was.... It was this

I gently made my way to Hicks bay, intending to pitch the tent and dine on cheese and crackers, but I was ambushed by the motel there with a soft bed, steak meal and cold drink, and the company of most of the other riders.

So that was the cape to cape ride. Excellent route, Good company, Mint riding. Thanks to the organizers

Next day was just a ride to Auckland.... Airhawk on, headphones in, and ride, nothing special. I did manage to check on the status of the bickie tin in Katikat (still empty ) but the bacon sammies were damn good and I picked up a couple of avocados to give to lil sis for her birthday
    Also...Holiday traffic sux

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    A reason to ride is to go from one coffee to the next, especially if a sticky bun is involved...

This trip, so far, looks a lot of fun - do you think a road bike could do it, provided taken quietly where necessary?
    Yip They're just gravel roads, if your comfortable with that you'll be fine. If your not comfortable with it, do it anyway and you soon will be

Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    Am enjoying the report. The back roads are giving me some ideas for future rides.
    GPS route over here >> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013975

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Great work, and yes that tree you "rode over to" was very nice wasn't it.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    F800GS
    Auckland.... I honestly don't know how you guys up there do it. I was half contemplating moving back there, but I went out on the Tues morning and hated it I couldn't cope with living there.
    I took Bacon for a walk in the avo, between showers. We strolled along the beach and up North Head.

I showed him the guns...

We hid from a brief shower in here...

Then carried on into Devonport...

A quick call to someone I know, and we were on the ferry

The city sure has changed since I was last there. We shuffled on and came to this big tower

Bacon scored a special pass so we went up

The views were pretty crap so we didn't hang around long

The next day was equally uninspiring, infact it was even worse...
    Thursday couldn't come soon enough. Time to exit the big smoke

Bike
    F800GS
    Time to go
    I'd planned on getting away early to beat the bridge traffic. I guess 6:30 is not early enough

It wasn't to bad and the rain seemed to have stopped. We made good time down the autobahn and hung a right at Pokeno. I'd planned to have breakfast there, but nothing was open, except a dairy and servo ...ahhwell... maybe I'd have better luck at Port Waikato ?
    Nevermind I thought. Perhaps Raglan will be open We made tracks along the Port Waikato/Waikaretu road

Things were great down in the valleys, but some of the wind gusts on the ridge tops were a little...ummmm....Intense
    Along Pukerewa rd and the TeAkau coast rd. I spotted a sign on the side of the road which piqued my curiosity
    Just what I was looking for

Nikau caves cafe...They weren't expecting business so early, but managed to knock up some breakfast. While Bacon and I studied the map

Nice place, but don't tell anyone, otherwise it'll get over run

Suitably nourished we carried on down towards Raglan

Or was that pic on the way to Kawhia ? We gave Raglan a miss and went to have a look at a waterfall, Bridal veil falls.

If your up that way Woodman you should go have a look, I'm sure you'd like it

After that we carried on down towards Kawhia for some gas, taking in some more little roads. Then onto Hauturu. What a gem that turned out to be

I was tempted to have a go at catching this little kid. He seemed lost without his mother, and the sheep didn't seem interested

This tree was pretty cool too, IMHO

Pretty soon I popped out on TeAnga rd and hooked a right, another real nice road. If anyone's going through there keep an eye out for my chicken strips, pretty sure I left them on that bit of road
    Also this is worth taking 15 mins out of your life for

Mangapohue natural bridge, very nice spot We carried on to Marokopa and had a cruise round the township and a look at the inlet

Pretty soon we came to a sign I'd seen a few years ago when I'd picked up a DR350 from New Plymouth (I took the long way home on that trip too ) Pomarangi rd, it had stuck in my head and I needed to have a look

More to come....

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

Nice stuff here...

Liking this...You have stirred some emotions mate...Nice work...

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Excellent read Jatz.
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    Liking this...You have stirred some emotions mate...Nice work...
    Nice to have you along for the ride mate

Photobuckets playing silly buggers just now, so I'll have to finish tomorrow...

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Nice to have you along for the ride mate
    Next time...it will be in person bud!
    Tag along.....

Bike
    F800GS
    Right... back into it

Pomarangi rd didn't disappoint, it was windy and bush lined, and kindof remote feeling, just what I like

It went up and up and up... near the top Bacon started making noises about needing a coffee and some scroggin, I didn't argue as I felt ready to stop too. Out came the percolator and pretty soon we were enjoying a fresh cuppa
    We discussed farming, native flora and fauna and the weather.

All to soon we were moving on again, eventually popping out in Piopio. The nice lady in the garage asked where I was going and in all honesty, I replied I had no idea
    She suggested staying in Ohura, at the old prison. How could I refuse a night in the cells
    Pretty soon we were heading through Aria and onto Waitewhena rd (another cool road). Looks like they'd had a bit of wind down here

Not a road cone or hazard sign to be seen just as well we were in cruise mode, infact... we're always in cruise mode
    We eventually got to Ohura and pulled up at the prison

to be greeted by the post lady. I enquired about a room and after a bit of ummming and aaahhing she said o.k. and agreed to cook me some tea, otherwise it would've been off to the cossie club.
    Aparently they don't usually open for walk ins, but prefer groups, not surprised really as there wouldn't be many passers through in Ohura
    After settling in and having tea I went for a wander round town, it's surprising what's there when you have a good look. I gave the cossie club a miss preferring to thumb through a North & South magazine from 2001. No T.V. and no cell coverage suited me just fine. The post lady had finished her duties just after I got back from the walk, so I had the whole complex to myself.... How cool is that ?
    The next day dawned perfect....overcast and drizzling, a rooster crowing just across the road, and a gunshot just up the valley. It just seemed to fit.
    Ready to roll...

We went right in the middle of town and headed along the Waitaanga road, where the heavens really opened up

Not to many pics from here, it was a little damp We'd been looking at the map last night and decided Kiwi rd would be worth a look... It was

There's a tunnel there... I like tunnels

But stick to riding in the wheel tracks of this one No I didn't fall off, but it's not what I expected

We made our way along Moki, Uriti and Kaka rds, complete with more tunnels

and rock outcrops

Eventually popping out at Waitoetoe. Then I made my way back to New Plymouth

Bike
    F800GS
    Saturday was another stunning Naki day, and after a sluggish start to the day I made my way down the coast towards Opunake. Stopping to take a pic or 2 out at the coast and soak it up
    Y'know.... I think I've been here before

We carried on down the coast and round the south side of the mountain, I've not been there before so it was good to have a look around.
    Who knew Manaia was the bread capital ? I certainly didn't , but I do now

After that I just put my head down and headed for Wellington, I think Manaia was going to be the highlight of the day. We shot over the Akatarawa rd, just for something different

It's kindof narrow in places

I thought I was going to lose a pannier to oncoming traffic on more than one occasion
    And caught up with my son in Wellington for an ale or two....or three . He had other stuff to do so me and Bacon found some digs for the night and planned to try and get an early ferry the next morning.
    I had to take Bacon up to the BeeHive for a look....as you do with international guests

Wasn't much happening there at 7:00 on a sunday morning We caught an early ferry, Bacon grabbed my headphones and listened to music to pass the time

I just sat there losing the will to live, not keen on ferry crossings
    After about 3 weeks we were almost there... Bacon's happy. It was kindof windy too

A nice ride round Queen Charlotte dr and over the Whangamoas and we were nearly home....then heading along Whakatu dr....

Thankfully a nice lady turned up and offered moral support and a quiet place out of the wind to listen for air leaks. She's watched me fix punctures roadside before so knows the drill. Thankfully someone had left a couple of bricks beside the road to help support the bike

Wasn't that considerate

Thats about it for this little trip.... All this writing has given me itchy feet, I think I need a holiday And Bacon has more of the South Isl to see

Stay tuned....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Some funny pics of Bacon

Does he always have a stupid grin on his face?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information