Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    My back yard. Nice to see it through someone else's eyes, cheers.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Cool read thx Jatz.

Haven't heard the Headless Chooks in an age...really enjoyed that
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    Brilliant write up and great pic's, thanks for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    If I'd known you were in Dannevirke I would have invited you around for a beer.

I spent many hours swimming and eeling at that waterfall growing up. Awesome spot.

That derilect woolshed is about 2km down the road from the family farm. In fact, the land on the opposite side of the road belongs to the old man. I remember that shed being used by the neighbour when I was a kid.

There are a lot of old buildings around the area. Most the farms out there have doubled in size in my life time, so there are a lot of redundant buildings. Most end up being used for fire brigade practice.

You should have had a nosey at the Makairo track while you were there. You went past the east entrance.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110
    superb write up and pics as always James - looks like you had a great time - go well Cheers Oaters aka Aslan
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Wow. That was a great read. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Ride safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Great read, great photos... a bit of everything - architecture, landscapes, culture, agriculture, machines, food, drink, dietary advice...

Thanks, really enjoy reading of and seeing yours and George's adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    My back yard. Nice to see it through someone else's eyes, cheers.
    It's a nice back yard you got there I like poking around in it, it's got everything anyone could want

Quote Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
    Cool read thx Jatz.

Haven't heard the Headless Chooks in an age...really enjoyed that
    It's a pretty eclectic playlist I have, I never know whats going to show up next

Quote Originally Posted by ruaphu View Post
    Brilliant write up and great pic's, thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post

Good stuff mate...
    I am gonna kill off a few Mototokens in the next few days!
    Also going to suggest a few more to include for the North Islanders!
    As for the trip south? Not this time I am afraid.
    You'll have to get back down here at some stage.... you know you want to

Thanks for reading you others, makes it worth while

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    If I'd known you were in Dannevirke I would have invited you around for a beer.

I spent many hours swimming and eeling at that waterfall growing up. Awesome spot.

That derilect woolshed is about 2km down the road from the family farm. In fact, the land on the opposite side of the road belongs to the old man. I remember that shed being used by the neighbour when I was a kid.

There are a lot of old buildings around the area. Most the farms out there have doubled in size in my life time, so there are a lot of redundant buildings. Most end up being used for fire brigade practice.

You should have had a nosey at the Makairo track while you were there. You went past the east entrance.
    Maybe next time eh ?
    It's quite cool seeing the old buildings dotted about the place. Shame the fire brigade uses some of them for practice. I did recognize the name Makiro on a signpost, it's your's and MarkS's, RR's, among others, where I remembered the name from. If I'd shot up Makiro rd east i would've been on it, yeah ? However... post trip googling of it found this >> http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...ission.149226/ . Is it still like that ?

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Maybe next time eh ?
    It's quite cool seeing the old buildings dotted about the place. Shame the fire brigade uses some of them for practice. I did recognize the name Makiro on a signpost, it's your's and MarkS's, RR's, among others, where I remembered the name from. If I'd shot up Makiro rd east i would've been on it, yeah ? However... post trip googling of it found this >> http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...ission.149226/ . Is it still like that ?
    Add an 'a' and google Makairo and you might get a few more results. I went through about a month ago and it wasn't too bad. No trees down or slips. There's a nasty little rut going down the centre of the track for about 20 metres towards the east side, but no drama if you take it easy. Its not really a track to do solo as if you do get in trouble, it's a long walk out.

Looks like you had a good trip though. There's some big country out that way that very few people get to see.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    Add an 'a' and google Makairo and you might get a few more results. I went through about a month ago and it wasn't too bad. No trees down or slips. There's a nasty little rut going down the centre of the track for about 20 metres towards the east side, but no drama if you take it easy. Its not really a track to do solo as if you do get in trouble, it's a long walk out.

Looks like you had a good trip though. There's some big country out that way that very few people get to see.
    Sometimes speeling's not my string suit.

I hear what your saying doing it solo, sometimes it is a pain travelling alone, you've got to be a wee bit careful about where you go and miss some good off the beaten track bits.

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    nice write up James & it's nice to see breakie running down the road we were up at Castle point for our sons wedding last April we did some nice riding up through there... before work was calling again
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by _Shrek_ View Post
    nice write up James & it's nice to see breakie running down the road we were up at Castle point for our sons wedding last April we did some nice riding up through there... before work was calling again
    Hey Big Fellah.... and Cath too You wouldn't eat Bambi would you ?? You shoulda given me a holler when you were in the hood.
    Damn work always gets in the way of living eh, still.... it's a necessary evil

Bike
    F800GS
    This one's not really bike related, however I did discuss riding and trips during the weekend, so I figure I can put a little story about it here besides which... someone might read it and like the pics

I'd been having a bit of a go at the snapper locally before Xmas with some success but still had a fishing itch to scratch, besides which I had a yearning for some fresh blue cod, and what better place to go than the Marlborough sounds
    I loaded up the ute and headed through Nelson late sat morning after stopping for some supplies and to diddle about a bit. Over the Whangamoas the cloud closed in a bit

which was good as it was getting kind of warm in town from there it only cleared down in the valleys. I turned off just before Rai valley and made my way through Okiwi bay, I had thought about stopping there and popping out for a quick fish, just to get into the swing of things But gave it a miss as it's a long paddle out to where the fish are, and it looked a bit crappy

I carried on up the hill and headed out towards French pass, back into the cloud

It was not a fast trip I could hardly see where I was going at times . I hung a right when I got to the turnoff to Ligar bay/Bulwer and made my way out towards Bulwer, at times just feeling my way along the road. Other times it opened up and the views were out standing, as always

Past this interesting looking bush

then back into the cloud

I had a slight detour down into Waitata, but it didn't really do it for me at the time, so I carried on to Bulwer where I was greeting by a couple of locals

I quickly geared up and put to sea, I hadn't gone far before dropping a line over and catching the target species Got my quota too all 2 of them . Okay... that took about half an hour.... what am I gunna do now ? I ended up just paddling around, to a nearby beach.

then to a point accross the other side of the bay, prospecting for something else on the way, then I made my way over to the Salmon farm for a look around. A couple of hours later I was ready for a brew so went back to the ute to boil the billy, I had milk too even such decadence, I don't carry milk when on the bike.
    Another of the locals came over for a sticky beak. He seemed like a friendly critter

I couldn't see anywhere to sneak off to to settle down for the night there, so made my way back to the ridge top and found a quiet little spot to set up. The view wasn't to shabby either

Mmmmmm.... fresh cod for tea, wrapped in fresh bread topped with an egg Just 1 though, don't wanna be a glutton While there I txt Underground to see about using his access into Admiralty bay on the other side of the hill. That sorted I went to bed and listened to the Weka's going silly and the mosquitos buzzing around like mad buzzy things.

I got up early next morning and smashed breakfast watching the sun come up

I thought this was pretty cool

There was still a bit of fog around, but thankfully I was above it

Last edited by JATZ; 21st January 2016 at 16:18. Reason: adding/subtracting and punctuation

Bike
    F800GS
    On the Sunday I made my way back toward Undergrounds, even remembering where to go although there's not to many options out that way. Down his access way and onto the beach, the sea looked good

I do like a calm sea when out in the "yak" I've been tipped out in rough stuff and it wasn't pleasant, even lost my good spinning rod
    I had a good paddle around some mussel farms and over to a distant point, just enjoying the morning. Then it was time to get down to business. Second fish to come aboard was a keeper.

Then another good keeper..... okay, now what, I had my quota already

so I rigged up a wobbler and paddled around looking for a kahawai, sadly there didn't appear to be any around,or I wasn't paddling fast enough so I checked out some wildlife

By this stage it was smoko so I paddled back to the ute, loaded up and went up the hill to catch up with Mr and Mrs Undrground, arriving just as the fresh coffee was being poured, absolutely impeccable timing on my part We chatted about bikes and biking (BOOM... There's the tie in) among other things. He said he'd got a few Gurnard just out from the mussel farm, I was keen on some of them, and he offered the use of his dingy, thanks Underground
    Refreshed and full of vim and vigour I trundled back down to the beach and put to sea in the little cockle shell

It's been a long time since I last rowed a boat but I got out to where I needed to be pretty quickly. There was a boil up of kahawai about 30secs after I stopped rowing so I frantically grabbed a rod and chucked a wobbler into the ocean, hooking up almost instantly, not a bad fish either, I thought it was going to wrap the line round the mussel lines on a couple of occasions
    I also got this little thing for the cat

After that it all went quiet so I got acquainted with this little fellah, he didn't want to leave his perch untill i nudged the boat into the float.

The fishing went dead after that, not even the cod were biting, just 1 spikey dog was all I got so I pulled pin and rowed in the general direction of the beach. It had turned into a stifling hot day with absolutely no wind

After that it was time for the long drive home, with the aircon working overtime
    It's a bloody nice spot out there, I'll have to go back before to long, maybe on the bike next time ?
    Last edited by JATZ; 21st January 2016 at 16:25. Reason: adding/subtracting and punctuation

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Doesn't matter you weren't on two wheels... good story and superb photos, especially the sunrise and the cobweb.

Pan fried fresh fish... boiled new potatoes... chilled white wine...

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Gotten too used to likes on the other site. Good yarn...
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Thread Information