Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    F800GS
    Crickey... it's yesterday already.

I just hung out in the apartment for the night. Next day the bike was booked in for it's 18,000k service, which is more than either of the bikes at home I dropped it off at the dealer then caught the skytrain back to town, then a ferry to the North Shore to have a look around

There wasn't much there that interested me so the ferry was employed again, then I caught a looser cruiser out to Stanley park

Had a look at the totem pole forest

and just mooched about, wandering here and there, taking pics of random stuff that caught my eye. Im not sure what this was doing there, looked like some sort enclosure from a zoo. It was empty though

Then bussed/trained back to get the bike.
    Next day was sort out stuff to leave in the panniers day and drop the bike off for storage. Then go stumbling round the hood where I was staying. I stayed near the Pacific central station, and managed to bumble my way aver to Gas Town, through some streets and parks

It was an interesting experience
    Seeing such destitute souls milling around amongst such affluence. It really did tug at my heart strings and left me feeling quite sad for the world I didn't feel like getting the camera out to record it either. Except for this little shack, not 100m from my well apointed appartment.

Next day was time to pack up and jump on a plane.... with a brief stop in San Fran, and the sun set on another trip.

It was good to get home and start thinking about the next installment. I hear you can get good lobster in Halifax

Bike
    VFR800
    You've got a good eye for photography alright Jatz.

Apparently homelessness wasn't an issue there until the Government cut funding to national housing programs after the 1980s (familar scenario in many places) and it's gone rapidly downhill from there. Not a happy thing to see.

Are you serious about Halifax?

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Yep it's a tradgedy seeing all the junkies all stacked in the alleys like yesterdays rubbish. Generally harmless too tho there was enough of them to make you feel uneasy.
    Great photos tho thanks Jatz!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    You've got a good eye for photography alright Jatz.

Apparently homelessness wasn't an issue there until the Government cut funding to national housing programs after the 1980s (familar scenario in many places) and it's gone rapidly downhill from there. Not a happy thing to see.

Are you serious about Halifax?
    Yip, deadly serious. It was supposed to be this year, but its looking unlikely at this stage. The plan was/is Vancouver to Toronto via Nova Scotia & Newfoundland then the TAT the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Yep it's a tradgedy seeing all the junkies all stacked in the alleys like yesterdays rubbish. Generally harmless too tho there was enough of them to make you feel uneasy.
    Great photos tho thanks Jatz!
    Good description Laava
    I never felt threatened by them, but i imagine things could go south pretty quickly without to much warning.

I may chuck up some more random pics that didnt make the final cut of the tale, simply because I've got the time

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Yip, deadly serious. It was supposed to be this year, but its looking unlikely at this stage. The plan was/is Vancouver to Toronto via Nova Scotia & Newfoundland then the TAT the following year.

Great plan! Yeah, looking unlikely is right, but certainly something to look forward to. TAT?

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearup View Post
    Great plan! Yeah, looking unlikely is right, but certainly something to look forward to. TAT?
    Trans America Trail. A gps route across America, mostly unpaved.

Bike
    VFR800
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Trans America Trail. A gps route across America, mostly unpaved.

Even more of an adventure then

Bike
    F800GS
    Left Sydney today....before it all went downhill. Hopefully I can still get in to Queensland and it's settled down by the time I'm ready to come home.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bike
    F800GS
    Continuing the escape from NSW. I got as far as a place called Willow tree and called it a day. No pics I was in flight mode On to Tamworth the next day. After grabbing lunch from my swanky room

Tried unsuccessfully to get a fuel bottle for the cooker so ended up getting a cheapie gas cooker. Then another frantic run to a place called Mungindi. Picked up groceries from a bizarre little supermarket and shot across the river into Queensland to set up the tent
    Rained next day...

Stopped in North Talwwod for a coffee and warm up

Then gapped it for Chinchilla. Still raining off n on. Scored a cheapish room in a nice place and did some R&M on the steed.
    Today looked like another wet day, not a good day for watermelon

I'd set the routing options on the GPS to "surprise " and it didn't disappoint
    This is supposed to be a road

I turned around here.

Got into Bundaberg, still wet and getting wetter, found lodging, ordered a pizza, booked a distillery tour and tic tacked on my phone.
    How the tour goes will determine how far I get tomorrow

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Nice to see you are out and about and telling us about it - always enjoy your trip stories and photos!

BTW, where's George?

Bike
    F800GS
    George stayed home this time, he's getting old, and space is at a premium this time.
    At least someone's reading....

Distillery tour was a oncer... interesting, but I wouldn't do it again. Of course I had to grab something on the way out the door, and a t-shirt

Otherwise it was just a grind up the A1 to Rockhampton in the pissing down rain. Quite a few road works too

Today I wondered what the hell I was doing here. Things can only get better... right ?
    On the + side... Im warm and dry, my gear is hanging in the shower draining and I found a tray of ice in the freezer

Bike
    F800GS
    In Cardwell tonight.... with a few other Townsville refugees.

I left Rockhampton, aiming for a camp at Moonlight dam. What a cool/straight/bumpy road that was, nice twisties over the ranges then a slog along some plains over "undulating" straights.
    Pics on the camera so you'll have to wait.
    Into Nebo for lunch and gas

Then to find my camp for the night. Mrs Garmin led me up a gravel rd and onto some "unpaved road" as she called it. She gave up giving me directions in the finish and left me to follow a dotted line on the screen. I had to get off a couple of times to check if I could get back up the slopes, but I eventually made it to the camp site. On the wrong side of a locked gate. A bit of work undoing the barbed wire had me on the right side and it turns out I'd been on a walking track
    Camp...

A couple from WA showed up so we spent the evening with a part bottle of Bundy and a map book.
    Next day I went out on the right road
    and made my way through typical farmland... sparse trees, camel cows and not much grass before getting to Eungella dam, then into heavy fog and drizzle, and thick rainforest and a crazy descent to Finch Hatton for breakfast.
    Then onto Airlie Beach, simply because I recognized the name from somewhere

Not really my cup of tea and it was still a bit drizzly and crap so I wobbled my way to Bowen

Eventually found a place to stay, after a few "sorry we're full" places. They had good food and watery beer
    Finally did some washing too

Bike
    F800GS
    I diddled about in Bowen for a bit in the a.m. just cruising around looking at stuff, then set off leisurely towards Townsville. Got there mid avo, mildly peckish and I wanted to do a couple of things. Figured I do my jobs then retire to the botanic gardens for a spell. I sauntered into the post shop and while I was filling in a form I overheard someone say Townsville was going into lockdown for 3 days at 6... mild panic, I talked to a fellah who understood my plight and he recommended how far to go.
    Back on the horse and I flew outa town, at legal speeds, it seems with a good portion of the locals, stopping only for an egg sarnie and coke at Rollingstone. To top it off the drizzle set in again.
    I ended up in a place called Cardwell where the lovely lady at the info center scored me a room at some place that needed revamping. But they had a restaurant and bar, and it was pizza and pint night too, how good is that. I only took 3 pics that day on my phone. Of the bar. They're pretty crap. So I won't include them. It was an interesting establishment, somewhat entertaining, yet disturbing at the same time.
    I woke the next morning to heavy rain and a full carpark. It seems a good portion of Townsville left town too.

I coffee'd up and set sail north, heading for Cairns, a new set of rubber and a day off. Once again, no pics till I reached Innisfail. When its raining that hard you struggle to see a white car in front of you until it's only 50m or so away, stopping was the last thing on my mind.
    Here's a shot of my bike taking refuge in Innisfail

Got to Cairns... got tyres fitted and a bearing replaced then buggered off to the BnB.just outta town.

Bike
    F800GS
    Spent the evening with my host (who also rides) talking shit at the local, only 2 doors away.
    Next day I sorted out part of the next leg. Took a walk along the promenade just out front of the house and revelled in the fact I wasn't packing up and moving on.

Then I buggered off up to Koranda for a look. Nice place if you like that thing, the road to get there could be great if it wasn't for the traffic and speed cameras. I intended to take the gondolas up and the train down, but the stars didn't align.
    There's a butterflyarium (is that a word ?)

Then cruised into the birdarium

I'd had enough by this stage so skipped the koala thing. Stumbled round the markets for a bit, got my first fridge magnet of the trip and left the tourists to it.
    Spent the avo stocking up provisions, taking a gander at the botanic gardens in town,

Eating healthy

and generally relaxing.

Tomorrow I'll indicate left and head west for a bit

Bike
    F800GS
    Where was I....
    It was crazy humid in Cairns, just thinking about getting dressed made me sweat...
    So, I indicated left and headed back up the hill and past the turnoff to Kuranda, and carried on following the signs for Savanah way. I already decided against detouring through Chillago and taking the long way.
    Past Mareeba and Ravenshoe, Queenslands highest town (where I understand there is an excellent bakery, I found out later that day)

Carried on past some more little localities and turned off to go check out the lava tubes at Undara, I'd been looking forward to this, but you have to do an organized tour.... the next free space was 4 days away, so I rode away disappointed, and got to Mount Surprise

Where I indicated left again and wobbled down a little back road that'd been recommended. Only a couple of moments in some sandy sections...

Crossed this little river... where the exit was deeper than I expected.

I'll leave it here as reception is not so good and my phone is going flat.

Thread Information