Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    F800GS
    After a late night in Bruderheim I set sail again east. Past this massive wreckers yard in Lamont

They even do limousines

I've been through Horopito a couple of times but never stopped at "Smash Palace" I'm not sure how this place compares but they had acres of cars. Just checked, you can see it on google earth. On Range road 195, just out of Lamont
    Anyway, wearing my lucky t-shirt, I hoped to see more wildlife. Unfortunately I must've just washed all the luck out of it. I only saw 1 buffalo or bison...
    [Dad joke]What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison i hear you ask ?
    Well a Buffalo is a large bovine that roams North America
    A Bison is what an Australian washes his hands in [/Dad joke]
    Oh Well.... I got back on the main road and continued. There can't have been much to stop for as I don't have any pics. I'd put in a couple a hundy K's and was looking for food when I pulled in to a truck stop, usually a good spot to stop. It was a good meal, thanks for asking.... looked like this

I'd noticed some rodents zipping around out by the car park, apparently they're Gophers. Dam'n hard to get on the camera. Nice place to take a breather

After I'd finished almost all of it I wandered out to carry on when a woman asked if I was heading west. Turns out there was a severe weather warning issued and we were on the edge of it. I might've said some words your mother wouldn't want to hear and gaped it east. Going like the clappers trying to get away from the Red bit on the Enviro Canada map. Still time to snap a couple of pics though

I made it to Heinsberg, after another bout of range anxiety, which meant a detour into Dewberry to find gas which was out of sight behind a farm supply store
    Had a yak to a couple who were going biking on a trail hereabouts and set up camp, trying to find somewhere out of the wind

I wandered around, trying to find water, unsuccessfully, before biting the bullet and riding to Frog Lake to get some. When I returned the bikers came over, with a beer and we had a yak where they recommended some spots out Nova Scotia way.
    So I did the tea thing.... Now it surprises me. How come the Canuks can figure out how to make a Ciabatta bun last for 7 days but can't figure out how to put a tear top on a can... and watched the weather, waiting for a tornado to come out of the heavens. Looked a bit dodgy to me...

It started raining about 9 so I turned in and was serenaded by the most violent thunder and lightening I've ever heard. No hail though and no tornadoes

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    After a late night in Bruderheim I set sail again east. Past this massive wreckers yard in Lamont

I've been through Horopito a couple of times but never stopped at "Smash Palace" I'm not sure how this place compares but they had acres of cars. Just checked, you can see it on google earth. On Range road 195, just out of Lamont
    Had a look on Google Earth and yes it is huge. Doubt if Smash Palace was ever that well laid out

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@53.75...!3m1!1e3?hl=en
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2016, Honda, Africa Twin
    Rach' and I went to the last chance saloon that you camped at and when we walked in we got such a bad vibe we turned round and left. We went to Drumheller when the kids were back at school so didn't have the noisy rug rat issue. Glad you got to see the big dinosaur though. Drumheller and the Hudus is as far east as we went, so you are now venturing into my jealousy territory. Hope George is enjoying the trip.

Bike
    F800GS
    carrying on... I figured Id be entering Saskatchewan at some point today. I'd just gone through an intersection when this sign caught my eye TPTB obviously want to let you know what's expected before you get there

What the !!! I never saw the welcome to Saskatchewan sign... Oh, there it is, about a hundred meters up the road

Not as big as I would have expected. Nothin much else to report, just beetling along taking in the sights.
    It got to about late morning and I was feeling peckish so pulled into this place in Turtleford.

I pulled the phone out of the tank bag and was greeted with this

That's interesting, I thought I wonder where Langham is ?... A quick search and I discovered it was on my route So I finished eating and continued on. Langham was still a couple of hundred K's away so hopefully it'd be sorted by the time I got there. Nothing much to see. Just cracking on with some highway miles.
    Drinks break

I rolled into Saskatoon late avo and started looking for somewhere to pitch up for a night or 2. I eventually found somewhere reasonable and finished up for the day.

TBC... I'd best put some pants on and go get some tea

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Joburble View Post
    Rach' and I went to the last chance saloon that you camped at and when we walked in we got such a bad vibe we turned round and left. We went to Drumheller when the kids were back at school so didn't have the noisy rug rat issue. Glad you got to see the big dinosaur though. Drumheller and the Hudus is as far east as we went, so you are now venturing into my jealousy territory. Hope George is enjoying the trip.
    Good... I thought as I was typing maybe I was just being a whiney little bitch. I'm glad you had a bad experience too, but in a good way I guess it's just the way it is with school vacation time. I could avoid it and come over in winter

Bike
    F800GS
    I figured it would be a good idea to hang in Saskatoon for a day, go see some stuff. I thought a trip to Wanuskewin ( https://wanuskewin.com/ ) would be a good start. Might as well try an learn something about the indigenous population while I'm passing. It was pretty cool, and informative

It is sited at an old Buffalo jump. When I arrived I wandered up to a lookout thing, The weather was looking pretty ominous, with lots of thunder

as it got closer I scuttled back to the main building, but not before another couple of quick pics

While the rain poured down outside I was inside exploring the history of the local Plains Cree people and the buffalo industry. Truly astounding how a species can be almost wiped out in a generation, simply through greed.
    Then I joined a walking tour where I (and the group) learnt about buffalo some more and how they were driven to the "jump" by the local tribes. then back up the hill to look out over the small herd and learn more about them.

The Cree believe the spirit of the buffalo comes from the rock, hence this....

I left with a greater appreciation of it all.
    Next stop was the Western Development museum ( https://wdm.ca/saskatoon/ ) Some really cool stuff

And when the cost of running that Caddy gets to much, you could chuck a boiler in it and go all steam punk, like this guy

and even if there's a drought..... there's still options

I was all museumed out after that, so retired back to the air conditioning to escape

Bike clicked over 20,000k's today too Not a bad effort considering it's only been ridden for 6 weeks in 2019 and 2 weeks this trip. i may replace the front tyre at some stage.... or not

Oh yeah.... This was pretty good

would buy again

Moose Jaw tomorrow .... Because I like the name

Bike
    F800GS
    And for your viewing pleasure...The inaugural jatz Canada vid

I'm still getting my head around editing and stuff, but help is coming.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Thanks for the photos and the link to the site about the Plains Cree and the buffalo - that's been a most informative read.

Cheers

Bike
    F800GS
    So I left Saskatoon, heading south, towards Moose Jaw, named because of the shape of the river apparently. It was a pretty uneventful ride. Nothing really to see...

I think I only made one stop

and rolled into Moose Jaw about mid day. I got the low down on some sights to see from Joe as I was standing on the road side, just about to find out what to do. I had a look at the park he recommended, it was alright then went to see if I could join a tour of "the tunnels" sadly... they were booked up Would've been alright I reckon (More info here >> https://tunnelsofmoosejaw.com/ ) What next A visit to Mac the Moose

Cause who doesn't love a giant moose . I picked up a fridge magnet while I was there so I can be reminded of Mac every time I go to the fridge. What next ? I was a bit museumed out after the day in Saskatoon... Oooh, a burrowing owl interpretive center. I know nothing about burrowing owls, so figured I'd school myself up on them.
    Here's one of the ambassadors. Hand reared from birth so they can be taken around the countryside to schools and the like to raise awareness of their plight.

Now know a bit about the burrowing owl but I wont bore you with it... have a look here >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrowing_owl
    I was pretty much done for the day what with owls and mooses, so went looking for a spot for the night. I couldn't resist stopping here though. Tanks are cool too

I found a place, settled in then went looking for some grubb. As I was strolling out the gate my phone started making the "Warning .. Warning" noise again. Apparently there was a likelihood of tornadoes. It looked ok to me

Nothing else to report... food was average, and there was no weather events.
    Last edited by JATZ; 16th July 2022 at 11:31. Reason: forgot the moose

Bike
    F800GS
    Following day I planned to be in Yorkton. I had a front sprocket to pick up This involved a trip through Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan. I couldn't just fly through and not stop. I singled out the RCMP Heritage center as worthy of a visit. I haven't had anything to do with them previously... except for this one time in Dawson Creek
    Very informative...

This'd take some hanging on to I think..

I'd love to have a go though, just once

The driver training thingamy didn't appear to be operating, or maybe it required a coin and I didn't look hard enough for the slot.

After my piss poor effort at the Motorcycle museum it's probably just as well
    Feeling I'd done my bit for tourism in Regina I scooted out of town making my way north east, stopping briefly in Fort Qu'Appelle

and went looking for a bite to eat. I found a café thing and wandered in... I swear almost every head in the place looked up or spun around to see the stranger.... it didn't take long before they went back to what ever they were doing and the hubbub started up again. More plains riding after lunch, nothing to report.... I got to Yorkton and made my way to the sprocket rendezvous. And it was here I got robbed I have never paid that much for a sprocket in my life and don't intend to again. I had thought about having them fit a new front tyre, but Fuggem.... ain't getting another cent out of me
    So I started looking for somewhere to stay, I was beat. The wind had been brutal most of the day.
    Place #1... Nope... I didn't even turn the bike off. I rode in to reception, took a look around at the units and the rubbish strew around the place and left. Now I've slept beside crock infested rivers in the middle of nowhere and not been to concerned, but this place was one to be avoided IMHO.... Place#2..... Nope, almost as dodgy as the first. Place #3 and 4....Nope....I found a BnB so I went there... rang the bell and a little old lady (Jenny)came timidly to the door. Turn's out she'd shut the business down 2 years ago, because of covid, and her health issues. She was lovely though. We sat on rockers for about half an hour shooting the shit. I almost thought she was going to open back up again, just for me. But I carried on, Things were looking grim, so I went to a campground and found a nice grass site to set up on. Still sticking my resolution of not eating at gas stations, restaurants attached to gas stations and chain stores I found a place with good food and excellent wait staff..

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Being that Regina is a motorcycle chain brand I was waiting for the clever anecdote about your trip through the chain to the sprocket, but it never developed. I guess they could name a place the same.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    F800GS
    I had no real plan for the next day, just ride around a bit... see what I see I'd noticed a place Bacon Ridge when flicking around some maps, so figured that could be my destination, cause everyone like Bacon I left Yorkton with out a fridge magnet and breakfastless.... I was still dark on that bike shop.
    I knew I'd be passing into Manitoba today. There was no "welcome to Manitoba" sign, the h/way went from #10 to #5 and a couple of little road signs describing what you cant do in Manitoba, and the road surface went from unruly to pretty good. I guess this is where the boundary is

And there was hills and bends stopped in Robin for a coffee and muffin. I'm sure I've actually put on weight this trip. No more big Canadian breakfasts Nice little town that.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. These things still freak me out

Doesn't matter which way you're going, you give way to the vehicle that arrived before you, and any vehicle that arrives after you will yield to you. Lets see NZ try that system
    I just rode along enjoying the sunshine and views of the farms, lost in my own thoughts. Pulled into a wee town for some gas (only had 89 oct or Diesel) nice little spot though,

I liked this place name...

had to do a U turn to get that one. Same with the next one

Not really a lot there, so I carried on, through some more small locality's/indigenous villages. with resident access only, due to covid.
    I bailed on going to the campsite I'd selected from Wikicamps, dunno why, I just wasn't feeling it, and the reviews weren't glowing. So I employed the powers of Garmin, which has I-Overlander installed and found something that could work, about the right distance away. I arrived in Gladstone early evening. Heading to the site I stopped to snap a pic of a Mennonite's Horse and buggy tied up in town, there's a hitching rail and everything. Unfortunately the horse started acting all nervous so I rode off... maybe next time.
    I made my way to Williams Park, managed to get a discounted rate and set up, then actually knocked up some tea for myself

Not to shabby, could've done with some seasoning though, and spent the evening reading and looking at proper paper maps. Trying to formulate a loose plan.

Bike
    F800GS
    I'd been contemplating wheel bearings the previous day... again, and decided seeing as I was going that way, I'd call in to Winnipeg. I selected a bearing retailer (NOT a bike shop) and made my way there. Of course I needed to stop in Portage la Prairie, home of the worlds largest coke can

It's in a dirt lot out behind a hotel Next was Canadas largest Grey Owl statue

In someone's front yard. This was pretty cool, spotted on the way to Owl

Then I found a park with some shade and a view to eat my orange, which was the size of a baby's head

Just as I took that second shot a dood rode past on his pushy and said in a very thick Scottish accent "why don't you take a picture of that sign".... Eh ? Wot sign ?.....

Oooohhhh... that sign. The bike is hidden by the pole. No one else cared, I think the guy was just jelous of George getting to ride around on a cool bike, and he had to pedal.
    So I made my way to Winnipeg and located the bearing shop. I swear it was the retail equivalent of Gliding On ( now I'm showing my age) It was pretty much an office with a counter. I got served by Jim ( seriously, if he'd had a smoke dangling from his lips it would've been perfect) who required my name and ph number to be tapped into his computer before he started tic tacking away to see if they had the bits I was after, just as well I went in armed with part #'s. Then he made a printout and shuffled off out the back. Meanwhile, Beryl had come and gone a couple of times... but she was a young Beryl and part Asian. While John finished his phone call, then his lunch (slowly) before coming round to serve the other customer who'd come in not long after me. Their exchange was gold I had plenty of time to listen. Then Jim came back, minus 1 bearing, so he went back to his screen, tapped some more, printed some more, before disappearing out back again... I left wondering whether to be annoyed at the time taken or glad I had just been involved in an 80's sit com. I chose the latter. Don't worry... the rest of the cast made an appearance too, going about their various duties
    Next I found somewhere that had something I can repair my tent pole with. The Inuvik duck tape isn't really cutting it.
    I was going to spend the day here tomorrow, but after the traffic today on roads similar to Chch after the quake I think I'll head off..... Thunder Bay looks nice

Y'all have a good one Eh

Bike
    F800GS
    Almost forgot... Video is still a work in progress, just as well there's been nothing spectacular. Looks like its been filmed by this guy though

Must work on that...

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Being that Regina is a motorcycle chain brand I was waiting for the clever anecdote about your trip through the chain to the sprocket, but it never developed. I guess they could name a place the same.
    Sorry Dave, I use RK chains... I get your link but it's to much for my scrambled egg/OCD brain (the struggle is real )

Thread Information