Page 38 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    F800GS
    So I spent a couple of nights in Geraldton, where I arguably had the best steak I've ever eaten, cooked to perfection. However, I was ravenous so this is the only foodie shot I got

I mucked about, looking at this and checking out that...

Part of the memorial to the loss of the HMAS Sydney. All lives were lost. Sad.
    There wasn't to much other photogenic stuff, so I'll leave it at that.
    Then set off back North to have a look at Kalbarri. Stopping here and there to look at stuff. Like the Pink Lake at Gregory

It's Keratin gives it that colour, donchaknow

A slight resemblance

I got into the small settlement and grabbed a coffee, which took 20 mins to arrive. It seems everywhere is snowed under with visitors.
    Nice wee town though. It got hit by a cyclone a couple of months ago and the damage was still quite evident.

So I finished my coffee and made my way into Kalbarri N.P. It was worth the $12 (?) entry just for the corners on the road in They have these skywalk things jutting out over a gorge

and some pretty lifelike sculptures

Pretty cool
    Then I picked a campsite of WikiCamps and made my way to Fig Tree Crossing, where I happened to get involved with a zoom call back to N.Z.
    So just as I was finishing packing up in the a.m. this guy sidles over and we get chatting. He recommends a route, based on my rough direction of travel. "Go down this track, just after this bridge" he said.
    Some quite big country I rode through getting to the bridge.

I took the left... and it ended in three dead end 4wd tracks There was a picturesque little pool though

I should've known.... "Naah, it's not sandy, you'll be fine" he said... for the next bit

I consulted the Garmin, and it only looked like a few, or more k's so didn't bother letting the tires down.
    I made it to the main drag and set a course for a place called Coalseam, which I'd heard about, something to do with wild flowers.
    I'm not normally a flower guy, but this was pretty cool

The valley was awash with flowers. It was pretty stunning

I made my way back out to Mullewa, for supplies and found another WikiCamp. Was pretty cool, bush camping, with the sun going down, and wee taoscán a fire and some chick singing somewhere else in the scrub, she had a good voice too Perfect.
    I planned to get to Mount Magnet the next day, just a transit leg, there's not much to see. This is the sole pic I took, on a piss stop.

I got to Mt Magnet, nice little mining town and couldn't find accom anywhere. It was busy with workers. One provider I spoke to had 5 units booked and paid for by a mining company, however they had only used 1 for the last 2 nights. But he couldn't double let the units. I got gas and buggered off. About 10k down the road, down a little side road a bit, then along a couple of wheel tracks for a while

Found a spot amongst some trees and settled in. No fire as I could still see trucks on the road. Gotta be stealthy.
    Carried on next day towards Sandstone.

That's a looooooong truck The last trailer can be quite random in it's travels, pays to keep clear when over taking. So I got to Sandstone

and was having some trouble with the fuel bowser. It was card only and wouldn't accept my Kiwibank card. There was a nice lady taking a walking tour of the town who saw I was having trouble and came over for a look. She used her own personal card before continuing on with her tour. I caught up with her later to give her the cash. Things like this almost restore my faith in humanity.
    I left Sandstone and made my way to Leinster, but not before I'd checked out London Bridge, or the local variation anyway...

I'd seen the sign and had gone a couple of k down the road before I won the debate with myself and decided to turn around and go check it out. After all, who knows if I'll be back this way...
    So I got to Leinster, fueled up... and had to get my reserve cc out from it's hiding spot to do it, before hitting the road South. I found another wild camp behind a rest area, opposite the Thunderbox mine. A fire was had that night
    They know how to shift a bit of dirt in these parts. The mine worked 24hrs a day so I had a low background noise for my stay, hardly noticeable

That big pile of dirt had flood lights on top of it, which lit up the trees around camp, so I didn't need a torch when venturing out of the tent at night.

Bike
    F800GS
    I wasn't in hurry in the a.m. so spent a bit of time googling and ringing to get some digs for the night. Kalgoorlie was packed, so it seemed, so I ended up in Coolgardie. Not a bad choice as it's turned out
    I stopped in Leonora for a breakfast.... at a servo and carried on. By the time I'd made it to Menzies I was feeling quite ill so stopped to grab some water. Strange/dead little town. I eventually found a shop, in a back corner of an old pub. They are trying to get people to stop for a bit, there was quite a few of these sheet steel sculptures around, describing various things from history...

I chatted to the Indian who owned the store. He also owned the rest of the building and was trying to do it up, get it going again. Unfortunately it was a loosing battle, the heavy trucks going past 24/7 weren't doing the building any favors.
    I still had a ways to go, so carried on... lots of this...

With the odd little random thing to see road side

I cruised through Kalgoorlie and made it to my oasis in Coolgardie. Absolutely exhausted from battling a side/head wind all day and broken sleep for a few nights.
    If'n your lucky I'll post up some pics of the super pit tomorrow. I had a look today from the view point. Seriously impressive. And managed to score a spot on a tour in the p.m tomorrow

Bike
    F800GS
    S'pose I'd best catch you all up....

I mucked around most of the day, just filling in time. Found a book swap place and got a new book before embarking on the mine tour.
    It's pretty impressive, that super pit. The machinery is next level BIG ! and the quantity of stuff they shift is mind boggling
    Digger bucket, with a helmet for comparison

Some info on it...

This is the view from the lookout

Once again, the pic is just not giving the right scale of the place. And another view, looking across the other side.

We had a look around the "bone yard" where old machinery goes at the end of it's life

metal fatigue on the trays means they're past their usefulness. They get cut up and recycled.
    The digger gets canibalized (?) for spare parts

Here's a digger working in the pit. I had to use max zooom

and a couple of trucks. They can carry up to 273 ton per load

The tour was well worth hanging around for.
    Then i made my way back to Cool-g for the night. I wobbled back into Kal-g again next day, had a look at a lookout, where the water pipe from Perth ends, and wandered into the museum. They've got a vault there, with $4.5 mill of gold in it
    Here's a wee bit of it...

Would be nice to just slip it into a pocket and exit, looking like this guy -->
    So I's all packed up and ready to roll, about mid day... heading South. I only got as far as about 30k north of Norseman and found a nice little bush camp off the main rd. Found some firewood, set up and settled in. Under surveillance from a local

For the first time this trip I actually woke up cold in the night so I had to kick the fire into life when I got up. Of course that made it an even later start.
    Fuelled up in Norseman, and continued on. I didn't even stop to get a pick of the camels on the roundabout. I just wanted to keep moving. Besides.... there's not really a lot to snap on the way. Except this small lakeette. I'm sure it was a dry salt lake last time

So I got into Esperance, found a bed for the night and relaxed.

Bike
    F800GS
    In the A.M. I grabbed couple of lures (I 'd picked up a telescopic fishing rod and reel in Kal) and some local knowledge and headed out to Cape LeGrand N.P. for a night. Real nice spot too
    On the way that Garmin skank tried sending me down here...

I should've known when there was a "No Thoroughfare" sign at the turnoff. I spotted the boggy swamp in the gully before I was committed and made a U turn
    I set up camp.... once again, under surveillance by a resident

and went hunting for somewhere to try out the fishing rod, unsuccessfully. I wasn't game to try clambering along here

It just looked super slippery and there was quite a swell running. I rode along to a different beach and tried my luck, but only succeeded in losing a lure. The swell meant I had to stand well back from the edge which made retrieval problematic with all the oysters and barnacles Nevermind back to camp to enjoy happy hour with some fellow campers, where I found out I could stay a second night on someone else's ticket. Even got dinner supplied by a couple of girls staying there. # winning @ Cape LeGrand
    I wandered up the hill next to the campground in the morning, to take in the sights

Mindful of snakes there'd been a couple of nasty ones hanging around the campsite.
    Then buggered of to have a look at some other stuff.
    I found some artwork on a rock.

a lizzard

who didn't want to get off the road. I was only trying to preserve his little lizzard life In the finish I left the angry little thing to take his chances. Popped out to Lucky bay

and swung by Thistle bay for another crack at the fishing.
    Success !!!

I know it's only leeedle, but it's a start, and I've never caught a yellow tailed pike before Don't worry... I threw it back.
    There was still quite a swell coming in... Apparently they lose a few fisher folk off these rocks every year. It's not a place I'd like to be swept off by a rogue wave. They even have life buoys at popular spots and a few of these rings, so you can tie yourself on before fishing.

Back to camp at the end of the day for a communal sausage sizzle and refreshments.
    I packed up next morning and made my way back to Esperance, for a couple of nights. Better charge some stuff up, maybe grab some food/water, have a snuffle and plan the next move...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Awesome write ups mate! You are living the dream!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    No pics of the girls at cape LeGrand?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Awesome write ups mate! You are living the dream!
    Yeah, it's alright....

Until this, the other day...

I'm picking I'll need to email Santa my new WA address

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    No pics of the girls at cape LeGrand?
    Sorry, no pics

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bike
    F800GS
    I muddled around Esperance for a bit. Nice spot. Good fish (Nanniguy(?)) and chips, I even had a dinner guest for my picnic on the sea shore

I had a ride along the coast for a bit, stopping at several viewing points

and went to have a look at the pink lake

which was a major disappointment Once upon a time it was quite pink apparently.
    Feeling let down I wobbled back to town grabbed some lunch and then did the museum thing. Some of you will be old enough to remember Skylab. for those of you not able to, it was a space station thing that fell out of the sky, back in the late 70's. Looked like this...

It just so happens to have scattered itself around SW oztralia. I'd seen a small piece years ago at Belladonia roadhouse, but this collection of space junk was waaaaay better

Pretty cool right ? There was heaps of stuff in the other sections of the museum, so much it was almost overload.
    I spent another night in Esperance, before making my way along the coast to a little spot called Starvation Boat Harbor. Along some beautifully un corrugated dirt roads
    Set up camp and settled in with a spot of fishing. Only got a handfull of herrings

I had a bit of a walk around the foreshore next day, taking the rod for a walk, and to try find something interesting.
    Rocks ?

Sea...

Maybe a dead tree ?

Or where some sea creature had been cruising around in a rock pool

Managed to pull a few more of these from the depths

After another night there, I threw my stuff on the bike again and headed along the coast, once again stopping at a few view points. I got into a place called Hopetoun and pulled up at a bakery. Now I've posted this pic elsewhere, but I'll stick it here too
    It is arguably theeeee best pie I've ever eaten. The "Ned Kelly"

Steak, Bacon, Cheese and Egg. No sauce required
    I noodled around Hopetoun for a bit, not really in any hurry. Before making my way up to Ravensthorpe, past a giant watering can.

I seriously needed to get some supplies, I was down to 1 packet of noodles and a muesli bar.
    Y'know... I didn't get the camera/phone out once for the rest of the day, not even to get a pic of the giant lollipop, or even most of the next. But I camped a bit North of Ravensthorpe, had a pitiful fire and left the next day, not even bothering to see the wildflower festival, or attend any of the weeks events.

Bike
    F800GS
    I'd planned out a route to my next port of call, just outside Bremer bay, through the Fitzgerald N.P. I got to the start of the dirt road, let some air out of the tires, as there was about 90k of dirt road and they've had a bit of rain here abouts

I only got about 5k in when I was stopped in my tracks

It seems, when it rains they shut the road so the dieback isn't spread. Would be nice if they'd put a sign at the beginning of the road Nevermind, back to the main drag and put the air back in the tires. I got to my spot, eventually and set up. It was an unusually cold night that one, couldn't even have a fire
    Packed up.....again..... next day and shot into Bremer bay for a look and some breakfast.

Before making my way to Albany. WA's oldest town. Once again there wasn't anything of note, just making the miles.... however I did snap a pic of this blue tree.

I've seen quite a few during my travels. I'll do some research about what it all means after I've finished here
    Spent today snuffling around here, checking out "The Gap" where you stand on a platform hanging out over a cleft in the rocks. I had to satisfy myself it was safe before venturing onto it.

It seemed ok

If I remember I'll chuck a video of it up here later. Done...

I had a look at a natural rock bridge

went up a hill, and out to a historic whaling station. Also checked out a wind farm...

Before making my way back to town, where I went aboard a replica of the brig Amity. The ship that bought the first settlers/convicts to Albany

that's the living quarters. Seriously cramped headroom would only be 4 1/2 ft. t was a bit awkward for a 6'2 frame to be mooving around in I don't imagine life would be to plush on the voyage.
    Cool ship though

Next was the old town Gaol. More glass topped walls

It dawned on me, they must've drunk a power of piss back in the day. Maybe that's how they coped with the sea voyage
    Couple of inmates....

And, I think the face of the chick says it all, about being locked up back in the 1800's or maybe she'd been at the Opium
    Another interesting place

More later....

Last edited by JATZ; 16th September 2021 at 23:39. Reason: added blue tree

Bike
    F800GS
    That didn't take long.....

Why are trees painted blue in WA?
    Image result for blue painted trees WA
    The Blue Tree Project began in Western Australia and encourages people to choose a dead tree that needs a "blue lease on life" and paint it in memory of a friend who lost their life to depression or had battled the illness.

https://www.bluetreeproject.com.au/

A very very worthy cause. I'll look at them a bit differently now.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    My brother lives in Beaudesert (Qld) and there's a blue tree on the outskirts there. Very poignant.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Here's the Beaudesert Blue Tree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Tree.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	586.6 KB 
ID:	349667  

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    Here's the Beaudesert Blue Tree.
    They are quite striking. I'm glad I found out what it's all about now.

Bike
    F800GS
    S'pose I'd best wrap this up...

I spent a bit more time in Albany, I'd been hankering after Lasagna for some strange reason and found a nice wee Italian place. It was alright, but I think I can do better Limited to 1 glass of red as I didn't want to risk being stopped. Last time it was a chick cop and I used my boyish good looks and irresistible charm to escape, not sure that would work here...
    I poked about the town next morning, it was raining of'n'on and blowing a gale so I didn't go to far. I did pop up to the ANZAC memorial/museum thing. It's quite a big deal in Albany as that's where the troop ships mustered before setting off for WW1. I didn't take many pics, I was to busy reading and taking it all in
    This one is in the room that shows where the ships were in the harbor

When you enter you're invited to grab a card, on that card is a picture of a soldier and his/her name. At various stations you can put the card on a reader and info will appear on a screen, telling you about the soul on your card.
    Here is my card's info

A punter from Whakataki in the Wairarapa. What are the chances of getting a soldier from NZ. He had an interesting time, going to Gallipoli, fighting, being sentenced to death for desertion, being given a reprieve and sent back to the battle, where he was killed.
    I can recommend a visit if you're ever in the hood, a very worthwhile and humbling experience.

Lest we forget.

On a brighter note..... here's some wildlife

The weather was still crap so I had another night in Albany before moving on... a massive 85k's to Parry beach camp. While seeing the camp hosts, paying the fee, my bike got blown of it's side stand at least there was someone to help right it.
    I scored a spot down the back next to a shelter and the showers on the recommendation of the hosts. It was mint.
    didn't take to many pics while I was there, here's the driveway

I wandered around next morning with the fishing rod, without any luck, and booked some accom for the night of the 19th, cause I could get internets out on the point . Afternoon was tent time, reading a book about a trainee Jackaroo, not a bad read, more wind and rain , glad I'd banged an extra couple of pegs into the ground.
    I packed up next morning and headed for Pemberton....

Thread Information