Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    F800GS

Jatz's travels

Hello

I thought it was about time I started posting some trip stuff again. It's been a while, and I've been clocking up a few K's and been on a bit of a journey so thought I'd share with the group
    I'll start with my trip to the Brass and beyond and may add some other stuff as it comes to me

Day 1
    .....I left home on the thursday before Queens birthday heading for Chch the weather was looking pretty dodgy, but it was good to be heading away after a pretty busy couple of months with the harvest.
    Rain, sun, light showers, and torrential downpours on the way to Murch, then the heavens really opened up a quick caffeine hit at Rivers and I called into the Fulton Hogan yard to check on whether Maruia saddle was open, it was
    I didn't take pics cause I wouldn't have got my soggy gloves back on but there was goats on the road, and the rain had eased
    Over the saddle and onto the Westbank road. Looks like more wet stuff ahead

Nothing else noteworthy, I'm a bit bored with the Lewis pass. Just a drag down to Chch and onto TimG's for a hot meal, hot shower and soft bed, I even remembered how to get to his place Cheers Tim

Day 2
    .... I'd organised to meet a mate of XF650's for the ride to the rally, so I didn't muck about heading for Ashvegas and a new (s/hand) front tyre from the mid canterbury emporium as mine was looking a bit, ummmmm past it's best
    A quick brew with XF and a snuffle through his castoff and I had my new hoop A quick trip to the local shop to get it fitted and to meet my new mate and a couple of other like minded people.
    We left Ashvegas a wee bit late and made good time to Fairlie, no pissing around and we headed for McKenzie pass. After encountering an irate digger driver (i didn't dare take a pick of him, he was a wee bit grumpy) we back tracked and took the long way to Haldon arm rd, over the Haka...

and onto Kurow for a late lunch and my mate called Dansys pub to see if the pass was open, we'd heard it was but called just to make sure, it wasn't, buggar
    We made a decision to take some little roads, past Elephant rocks and down to Hw 1 then over the pig route. No pics as I was keeping up with the little spec in front of me, but it was a stunning evening fang
    On to Ranfurly where we booked into the lodge (mmmmmm heated bathroom floor )

Bike
    F800GS
    Next Day...
    A plan had been hatched the night before over a couple of beers and a hot meal to have a look at the Nevis. It didn't seem quite so good today, my ignition froze over night It was put before the committee and an easy day was decided on, just cruising around before going to the rally.
    -5 heading through Omakau , a quick catch up with a couple of others in Alex (my fuel cap lock was frozen too ) Then it was off to St Bathans, I'm sure the road was gravel last time

Nothing really interesting.... just pootling about, heading for Naesby and lunch

We popped into Danseys just to see if it really was closed.....

It was

Then some more little roads on the way to Oturehua

We cruised around the rally for a bit, I got my badge but don't feel as though I earned it, maybe I need to go back ?
    Looked at some bikes, caught up wiv Shrek, looked at some more bikes.... you get the picture ?
    I thought this was cool, in an agricultural sort of way

Then buggered off to Alex and our tent with the heat pump and hot shower

Bike
    F800GS
    Day 4 ??
    I was on my own from here on After good byes I diddled about in Alex for a bit looking for braces, sick of holding my pants up then wobbled my way toward Shreks.
    It was a stunning day

Shrek had suggested I head up to the Obelisk, across the top and back down Waikaia bush rd, sounded good to me
    . I didn't get far, it was slippery as and it wouldn't be a good idea to be stuck up there alone.

After I turned around a guy went past with a snow mobile on a trailer, Good call I reakon

A quick feed in Roxburgh while I waited for the Shreks

Despite the reputation, Jimmys pies are average at best

Then it was onto catch up with the Shreks and then to grab the N.Z. tag

Then just a drag to Gore via some back roads, to find some iternets to post the tag, no luck there however there was a loverly wee lady at the campground, it seemed a shame not to be staying there.
    Onwards to Invercargill, missing out on the Golden Guitars too , but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    About this point I was glad to have a smart phone. Check out accom websites, get directions then use the gps to get there. Frikkin brilliant then google places who sold braces

Almost forgot....

Fine dinning in Invergiggle

Bike
    F800GS
    Monday..??

After closing the deal with a retailer who sold the required support for my trou I headed for Riverton then went to check out Monkey island

Don't let the sign fool you, there's no monkeys there It didn't bode well for my next stop, Gemstone beach, hopefully it'd live up to it's name.

It did

Awsome !! a red rock and a piece of leather I still have them.
    These people were looking for gems too

Obviously there's something there if you can afford a beachside mansion

Feeling a little ripped off I continued on.... next stop, Lake Hauroko N.Z.s deepest lake
    Here it is

Nice spot, and a nice ride to get there.
    I thought these bee chalets were pretty cool, dunno why they're so small

Then I popped into Lake Monowai

and had plans of poking my nose up the Borland saddle....

Foiled again
    Nevermind, it'll still be there in the summer, I'll have to go back
    So I just cruised towards Manapouri and Te Anau
    From this...

To this...

in a very short time.
    And to finish the day in Te Anau, a nice dark ale and a steak
    ]

Maybe I won't need those braces ??

More tomorrow...

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Good........
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Agreed.......
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    DR650
    good stuff, it's giving me itchy feet....

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Brilliant stuff. If you pop down into the creek at the closed bridge in the Danseys pass and head up stream about 600mtrs, there is an old bulldozer stab track that you can take to get back on the road. The hives are new splits by the look of them. Plenty of internets here if you are ever in need again. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Good work Jatz, keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    Brilliant stuff. If you pop down into the creek at the closed bridge in the Danseys pass and head up stream about 600mtrs, there is an old bulldozer stab track that you can take to get back on the road.
    If you're not on a fat beemer there was a perfectly acceptable motorcycle line around that gate.

As we discovered a while back when the gate on the North Side wasn't closed, but that one was

Clint

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    There is also an interesting sort of track that comes down to the creek from further up the hill, but not for the faint hearted. But the ride back down the creek is a lot of fun.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Good work Jatz, keep it coming!

If you're not on a fat beemer there was a perfectly acceptable motorcycle line around that gate.

As we discovered a while back when the gate on the North Side wasn't closed, but that one was

Clint
    I would've taken the other side don't worry, I've done a bit of gate dodging in the past, and my mate for the day is also no stranger to by passing the Danseys gate
    I've done Danseys a few times now and it was good to ride something new, even though parts of it had a nice covering of cow shit, and had stock trucks using the whole road
    You calling my beemer fat ??, I think it's more.....cuddly, in a manly sort of way though

Quote Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
    The hives are new splits by the look of them. Plenty of internets here if you are ever in need again. Looking forward to the rest of the trip.
    Sweet, I'll be able to sleep properly tonight knowing the story behind the hives and thanks for the offer, ya never know

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Keep up the good work

Bike
    F800GS
    After a night at Edgewater motel , good price and close to town, I fueled up for the ride to Milford sound. It was still foggy and a little bit chilly. Once I got over the hills and down into Eglington valley it cleared up nicely

I'd noticed a road cone in the middle of the road, as I was hurtling past a little van, and thought.... what an odd place for a road cone. I stopped at the next one I saw.

that could've ended badly

Doing the tourist thing at mirror lakes

While I was there a tour bus driver suggested I leave the bike and he'd give me a ride into Milford as the road was pretty treacherous, naturally, I declined mumbling something about it not being the same. Besides which you'd feel like a dick getting off a bus wearing riding gear Another guy stopped to give me a warning too, shortly after. Hmmmmmm
    It really wasn't to bad. just cold and a little slippery in lots of places
    I've posted this elsewhere but I'll stick it here too. This was 2:00 pm heading back to Te Anau.

Anyway.... I made it to my destination, had a pie, chatted to people who thought I was a little crazy, and went back the way I came.

Nice roads....

Back to Te Anau to take care of domestic duties....

Bike
    F800GS
    Another foggy start the following day, Wednesday, I think More fuel and warnings about road conditions and ice so I just trickled my way along towards Mossburn.

The night before I'd been to the info centre to find out about the Earnslaw and getting on it at Walter peak station for a ride to Queenstown. Sadly it was in survey and the replacement vessel couldn't take bikes. WHAT !! I think I said a bad word but that's the way it goes
    Nevermind, I popped into Mavora lakes. It gave me a spell from icy seal anyway.

Time for a brew. The setting wasn't bad either

Brisk though

Bloody nice road into there, you can really stretch the bikes legs if your so inclined then back out to the main road via Center hill rd and on to Queenstown for lunch of supremely well cooked Blue cod

Suitably satisfied I saddled up and made tracks for Wanaka, via Crown range, ignoring the signs warning of ice. Pfffft, I've ridden the MILFORD ROAD , I'm well hard, and ready for ice.
    It wasn't to bad...

Stopped at Cardrona hotel.... as you do

I'm sensing a theme here... perhaps I should re name the thread "Jatz eats his way round the deep south"
    Anyhooo.... Ignoring the signs saying "toll road" and "authorized vehicles only" I made my way up to the snow farm. I tried going up here several years ago but was stopped by snow before the Possum Bourne (?) memorial, it was good to finally get to the top, somewhat slower than Monster would've done it

There's not much up there, lots of buildings, no admittance signs, and high fences so I came back down and headed for Wanaka

Bike
    F800GS
    After a night In Wanaka, a decent brekky was the order of the day while I studied the map book to get an idea of where I might go. The plan was to head over the Haast and up the coast but the weather was looking a bit (lot) dodgy on the coast.

( Maybe..."Fatso wobbles round the South" )
    Anyway, I got away quite lateish and made my way for Hway 8a and a couple of little side roads, Jolly/Deep Creek and Philips roads

I really like taking these little back roads despite the traffic The cocky even apologized for holding me up, I musta looked like I was in a hurry,
    Then back onto the seal for a while, Lindis pass was mint
    I wanted to take the road marked on my map on the northern side of the Ohau river then up the Pukaki river, but I couldn't find out if the roads joined. The last guy I spoke with in Twizel didn't give me much hope and said the river would be up anyway so I gave it a miss. Does anyone know if these roads do link up ? Or do I have to go see for myself ?
    Back in the saddle and up Mt Cook station rd. I knew the canal rd was shut so took Braemar rd instead.
    Lake Pukaki

and Braemar rd.

Then I thought I might pop up to Mt John and observe some shit but I got sidetracked by lake Alexandrina. Not my idea of a "Holiday getaway"' I bet it gets pretty full on at times, but some people must like it. Nice spot though

I hope thes panoramic shots work ?
    Then onto Fairlie and a poke around up Random spur rd, I'd done it a couple of times on Dusty Butts but wanted to see where it goes and what was over the next hill/around the next bend

there was a Hanging rock bridge and a school and some little communities, and some sweet roads I popped out here somewhere

and just sort of carried on. Cruising up Hw 1 I made the call to stop for the night at the next place advertising accommodation as I was getting a little jaded, and hungry (joking) I ended up at the pub in....... Hinds It was adequate, and the locals were friendly, and a little bit pissed, not a bad bunch of buggers though.

I'll finish tomorrow.... granddad need his sleep

Thread Information