Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well. Its rainin here. You're all caught up too.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well. Its rainin here. You're all caught up too.
    Yeah... I get weather reports on my semi regular video calls home.
    Sounds pretty rubbish weather wise. Was high 20's here today, over in Niagara falls

Bike
    F800GS
    Not really much to report this instalment...
    I.T. guy showed up.... He's actually related. I cant decide what to call him here, "The Boy" doesn't seem too accurate, "The Man" is probably more accurate but he'll just get a big head and won't be able to get his helmet on, so I'll go with Tom. Last decent trip we did together was a Dusty Butt about 12 years ago, back when he was 16 ?
    He arrived late after an extended series of flights. so we spent the night catching up and wotnot. Next day I took him to a Bass Pro shop to pick up a couple of items.

Then, seeing as how we were so close we buzzed down to Niagara falls.

I have no idea where the pic of George in front of the falls got to, but he was there too. It was pretty crazy busy, being a holiday weekend. All the car parks were full, but we parked illegally with a father and son duo from the U.S, Tom and Thomas, with their friend. The father offered to stay and watch the bikes while the rest of us half ran along to the viewing area.

Very very touristy, cool though. We may go back if time permits. Be nice to do the boat ride right under the falls, but the que to get on was epic.
    I picked up a fridge magnet and we left. Got back to the accom and hung out before walking into the town center for tea, very cool place

then wandered around the foreshore

Very nice there was a live band playing and a bit of a festival atmosphere.
    Next morning we cleaned up, packed up and saddled up before doing battle with the Toronto motorway system again. Even though it was a Sunday morning it was still pretty hectic Sprot bike riders were enjoying it though, one was even enthusiastic enough to hoist the front wheel up, while travelling along at decent clip. I was pretty impressed
    We made our way Northish, through farms, past lakes and rivers, only stopping for a burger at a roadside stop (yumm) and ended up at a little camp called Jessups camp. They have a river and some rapids

It was a pretty low key spot. No signage, roll in, select a spot and txt the owner who then comes round to collect fees.
    We got away next morning, heading for a covered bridge Tom had googled up the night before. Nothing really to report. More cruuuising through wooded hills, little hamlets and churches.

The Sena was flat so no video footage.
    We crossed into Quebec, over a couple of dam's

Instantly.... the road signs went from English with French subtitles to pure French

That's an easy one, some of the others are a leeeedle harder. My schoolboy French from the early eighties, may need to be resurrected. And Tom can ask for fish Least we wont go hungry
    Anyway... We found the bridge

Found some cool cars

And made our way to Mont Tremblant and a horribly over priced camp ground. It'd been a long day

Bike
    F800GS
    So we got up early next morning, before the other campers started to rise, had coffee and packed up. Although Tom was virtual packed before I even poked my head out the flap. Then we made our way to Mont Tremblant village/resort thing. It's like something from a post card.

Because we were so early the crowds hadn't arrived, the stores were still closed and the first little lift wasn't operating. We wandered around, taking lots of pics and managed to find a wee cafe to while away the time, waiting for the lift to open. The time arrived so we shuffled down the hill to get on and get a free ride..... back to where we'd come from
    Was nice not to be walking back up the hill though

There was supposed to be a lookout at the very top of the mountain so a ticket was purchased for the long gondola ride to see it. Unfortunately the weather pretty crap, but we knew that before setting off

At he top the cafe/restaurant/giftshop thing was closed for a private function so that was out. We just wandered around like lost sheep, staring into the mist

Then back down to the town. A good ride and the views were pretty cool once we got out of the cloud

And on the bikes heading for Montreal. Traffic was once again very heavy, lots of motorways, sometimes crawling, sometimes speeding. Found a cheap motel and then went wandering

I'm sure it's a lovely city, there appears to be plenty of attractions, but..... It's a city and it was mutually agreed we'd only do 1 night and move on. I think we'd need 2 days to really get to grips with moving around and taking it all in, however there's a ferry ride to Newfoundland coming up and it'd be a shame to miss it.

Later...

Bike
    F800GS
    Crikey... it's been almost a week. We're tucked up in a BnB in North Sydney, waiting for the ferry tomorrow, so I might as well do an update.
    We spent the night at a cheap motel in Montreal. There was a "club" just down the road and the place kind off had that rent by the hour feel. After Tom mentioned the placement of the mirror I clicked and decided to sleep on top of the bed. Pretty sure Tom did too Despite that, I would stay there again.

Almost forgot... I found this little number at a store down the road. had to have one, even if it tasted like ass

We hit the road next morning determined to put the city behind us. I had planned a route past the Notre Dame cathedral, but decided to bypass even that. Maybe next time I feel that city needs some time spent in it. Learn the public transport system and see what it has to offer.
    We planned to head for a wee place called Thetford Mines, passing through numerous little towns en route. Apparently Asbestos mining is a thing here.

We both held our breaths... the results were quite visible from the road, massive hills of tailings (?) We decided there was enough daylight left to head to Etchemin and a potential camp.
    We found the spot, a full on RV park, complete with tacky Xmas decorations

They wanted 130 $$ Can for a site. with 2 services which we wouldn't use, so we mooved on. Tom found one on line so we headed for that. Unfortunately the gate was locked Going back to the $130 place was not an option... I spotted a woman mowing her lawn just up the road so rode up for a conversation. For the first time in my life I had to actually try to have a conversation with someone who spoke no English She knew "camping" though. Tom (I knew I'd asked him along for a reason) whipped out his phone and used google translate to get the message through. before long she was on the phone to a friend who spoke English, who gave Tom instructions. Then the Neighbor turned up with her Brother, she did speak English, and offered me a beer ( I can understand that in any language ) while Tom sorted out booking us in for the night on line and getting the combination. No pics of the site but this wee fellah was sitting on the bank of the river

It was a nice spot
    We got mooving the next day, not sure where the next spot was going to be. just winging it. I don't think I pulled the phone out once for the day. We just rode along, looking at "stuff" and ended up in Matane. Once again Tom found a place to pitch up for the night and scored a bag of marshmellows for later

After Matane, the plan was to ride around the Gaspe, or Gaspesie if you prefer, peninsular. Very cool

Passing through lots of wee seaside hamlets, almost every vista straight off a postcard.

Something deepfried for lunch at a popular road side diner and through Gaspe National park. It was a bit late in the day for the walk out to the Lighthouse, se we bumbled into town and Tom got started finding somewhere to stay. He found a place... and by the time I got there the owner was showing us where to pitch the tents. The place was full, but the owner had a spot for m/cyclists and cycle tourists, who don't take up much space. Really nice guy, who loved NZ and would live there in a heartbeat, but... We sorted ourselves out and mooched back into town for a feed. Very nice then a quick wander around

T.B.C.

P.S. Is it still a chain store if it's spelt different ??

Bike
    F800GS

Both of us were keen to get back into a province where you could understand the road signs and going out for a meal didn't involve a different colored menu so the waiter knew weather to speak in French or English. Sometimes it was pure French. So if you didn't understand you took a guess and hopped for the best.
    It was a bit different. I'll admit. But you could tell there was people in Quebec who just couldn't be arsed switching to English, Despite our poor attempts at French. I must brush up a bit before future trips...
    As a footnote... what is it with French ? I know it sounds kinda smooth and sauve/sexy, but English is so much more "to the point"

Aaaaanyway.... We left Gaspe. Tom got a sticker, but I couldn't source a magnet, and headed for Perce. There's a rock with a hole in it there. The place was dripping with tourists, and I found fridge magnet
    We went out to a place where you could walk up to a lookout thing. I casually wandered past a booth where a woman was talking to a family and made my way up the hill to the lookout. It was a good view, but you couldn't see the hole in the rock. You could see the rock that had the hole, but not the actual hole

I wandered back down and casually past the booth , caught up with Tom. He took off to photograph some stuff, while I hid in the shade. and watched the bikes, as the parking machine had swallowed my coin but didn't give me a ticket.
    Eventually we hit the road, but stopped in a restaurant carpark to get a pic of the actual hole in the rock

Then bee lined it for the crossing into New Brunswick, and the town of Campbelton.Only stopped once for a quick pic...

I found a BnB for the night...

Then we wandered around looking at stuff.

And went to Maccas for tea but for the first time in my life I couldn't finish a feed of maccas.
    Next day was a bit of desperately needed admin

Just as well we were in there when the heavens opened up
    Before making our way to Bathurst.
    The girl in the Info center said there was an Arcadian festival on on the peninsula, so accommodation was pretty much non existent, so we headed for a little place called Miramechi, and another cmpground. No fire though as there was a fire ban Just as we suiting up to head into town to find some food, the heavens opened up again.

Glad we'd already set up the tents Just as well we had a shelter to wait it out. It did clear so we buzzed into town for a feed.

M.T.C.

Bike
    F800GS
    Funnily enough, on the paper placemats at the family diner was an add for a place called Leftys. It was almost on the way back to camp so we decided to call in. I sotof half needed another vape anyway...

Those aren't tomato plants out front That would never happen in NZ.
    They had some interesting stuff in there

But no stickers or fridge magnets
    After a wet night it was time to move on... pack up in between showers and saddle up, and head for Moncton, about an hour away, which is just enough time to work up an appetite Tom had heard good things about this franchise, and after my slip up in Campbelton, what the heck...

It was alright
    I'd been watching Tom's rear tire getting sadder and sadder and decided to start making some calls. I'd already been in touch with the hire company voicing my skepticism about how new his rear tire was from day one. After numerous phone calls I tracked one down, and it was on our way, but they couldn't fit it. Better than nothing I guess I made another call and organized some fitting in another town and we were on our way.
    Once again I neglected to take any pics, probably because.... I dunno.... lazy ?? seen similar before ?? apathetic ?? I don't know, but it was a nice ride
    We stopped in a little place where I found a campground and made sure they had room while Tom stumbled around Walmart trying to find something to eat. I saw this when I went in...

Not only is there people of Walmart, but now there's Robots of Walmart. It just buzzed around cleaning the floor and would stop if you got to close to it.
    We eventually got to our camp and set up, and Tom actually managed to dish up something pretty good before the rain came in again and an early night was called.
    Next day we packed up, in between showers again, and set off for a place just out of Sydney, Nova Scotia. In Torrential (at times) rain. Heading for the shop I'd spoken to the day before.
    Due to the rain they'd had some jobs cancelled so were able to fit us in, even changing out the front with one they had in stock that someone had ordered but not picked up
    It really is awesome how a shop will bend over backwards to help when they understand you're just travelling through. Otherwise it would be a 2 week wait. Massive shout out to the guys from Cabots

He looks happy.... ish
    Then it was off to the BnB I'd organized, to dry out and think about the next segment, and also to use the super fast wifi to keep you guys up to date...

TTYL eh

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    No post for a while? Did you hook up with Itchy Boots or something?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    No post for a while? Did you hook up with Itchy Boots or something?
    Naah.... she was on the other coast. I'm guessing about the same time I was there too.
    Been home about a month now. I may chuck some more pics up when I get time, work and life seem to have got in the way

Bike
    F800GS
    Alright... It's a crap day here and I need a break from Legoing.
    I've had a bit of time to process the trip, so I'll try 'n' wrap this up. It may take a while as I flick between imgur pages, folders of pics, google maps and the cobwebs in my brain.
    After a night in North Sydney we had to be at the ferry around mid morning for some reason. The ferry didn't actually leave until 5 p.m. So it was a long day, hanging around the boarding area chit chatting to some of the other passengers. My social cup did runneth over after that and it was good to hop onboard and get underway pretty much on time. It was a long night as the trip takes about 14 or 15 hrs and all the cabins were full. The food was ferry food, the bar was mega expensive and the seating area we scored was not the plushest. However... it was worth it
    We got off the ferry here...

Found a gravel road and made our way across to the Avalon peninsula, through some small villages and into the Avalon wilderness area

then made our way to a campsite for the night in La Manche Provincial park. Next morning we saddled up and headed off, through Pretty Harbour, very pretty...

and out to Cape Spear. The Eastern most point of North America.

I had a bit of a scan through the lighthouse keepers house, chatted to the parks guy there, picked up a small stone that's been kissed by the Atlantic ocean... and a fridge magnet then we made our way back to Pretty Harbour where there was allegedly a pretty good Moose Burger. The burger was good... but this was next level

Pretzels with beer cheese. Would definitely eat again... double helping too
    Then we made our way to St Johns and a campground in town. Quite a cool town, and bigger than I expected it to be.

Next morning we pootled out to Signal hill for a look around.

Another cool spot. We paid a visit to Johnson Geo center which was absolutely worth the price of admittance. It's not just rocks. A quick stop at a 5 Guys for lunch, where I just couldn't bring myself to add Bacon to my shake

Then I wanted to visit a brewery in a little town about a hundy K's away. I'd already grabbed a t-shirt in St Johns so it'd be rude not to visit the place
    Beer was pretty good

but I couldn't finish the Brown.
    After our visit to

We made our way back to town, hit a souvenir shop and found something to eat. I don't think I'll be rushing out to have a feed of Cod tongues again
    Next morning we struck out for Elliston. There's some Puffins there apparently.

You can get pretty close to them too

It's also the root cellar capital of the world. Learn something new every day Eh ? Then it was off to Bonavista. Where we wandered around another lighthouse

and found some accom for the night. Next day was a reasonably long day. Time was of the essence and we didn't want to just blow through Gros Morne national park. I think we ended up going down to Corner brook for supplies, then got split up. Not sure what happened to Tom but I managed to find a spot in a campground that wasn't full and settled in, after finding wifi to let him know where I was.
    Next day we cruised along to have a closer look at "the Tablelands"

What a stunning spot, the pictures seriously don't do it justice Then we nosed around looking at some other stuff, visiting sites and generally soaking up the place.

Next day we had to head back in to Corner Brook, after a visit to the Insectarium in Deer lake, another very interesting place to visit. Then made our way down to a campground just outside Channel Port Au Basques. It was time to take the ferry back to the mainland.
    Newfoundland had been a very cool place to visit. I had under estimated how big it was and missed out on visiting places I wanted to see. Guess I'll just have to re visit it next year. Might even swing by that place in Pretty Harbour and grab a pretzel or 2

Bike
    F800GS
    After a short 4 hr (?) ferry ride back to North Sydney we buzzed around to a little place where we'd booked some accommodation. They were right next to an eatery which was still open too
    Now... Time was running out and we had to be back in to Toronto on a certain date. We still had a couple of thousand K's to do, but there was a name that kept coming up when chatting to other bikers.... The Cabot trail. so we made a call to buzz around it, or part of it.... we'd done some on the way to North Sydney in the pissing down rain.
    Parts of it were pretty cool

It's a shame we were feeling rushed. found a very good French bakery though and made our way back to the Hyclass campground for the night

There was more people there than the last time

Next day was just a transit leg. We got to Quebec city where we got separated. Tom ended up taking the m/way while I ended up cruising through tiny little streets with houses built virtually right on the road, and made my way to ferry which took me across the river and deposited me right in the guts of Old Quebec City. I think it was this moment I decided to come back here, someday

I knew where we planned on pitching up for the night so made my way there, a little spot at the NE end of Isle D'Orleans. Quite a nice spot, tucked in amongst tall trees., would stay again....
    Next day we completed the round trip of the Isl. and had a snoop round the old part of Quebec City

Very touristy.
    Then we continued heading West, just buzzing along the H/ways. Once again we got seperated and I ended up in some roadside town where I found a room, Tom carried on as he'd had enough of Quebec and the Frenchness of the place. I'd grown to like it. It was different, and at times a challenge. But that's part of why we travel, right ?
    Next Morning I'd made a plan to catch up with Tom where he was stopped, over in Ontario, which required going through Montreal. The GPS was set to avoid motorways.... so I ended up travelling through what appeared to be every road works and set of traffic lights in Montreal (which were all red BTW) and arrived later than expected
    We hooked back up and continued on... taking some back roads, he wanted to visit Ottawa, but I'd had enough of city's for one day and needed to get sorted for putting the bike away 'till next year.
    We made it back to T'ronno, after more H/way 401 in torrential rain where the GPS kept doing funny shit and losing the route due to rain hitting the touch screen and I pulled into the shop where I'd had the bike serviced prior to leaving. They offered to service the bike, only charging for parts and oil, so how could I refuse ...KMM powersports, if your ever looking to get work done while in Toronto.
    We dropped Toms bike off back at the hire company, where I was reimbursed for a set of tires, in cash, no questions asked and Tom ubered to the air BnB while I rode.
    Next day I needed to drop the bike of for storage.... On the Wiarton peninsular, about 200k's North. We needed transport back.... a rental car would do it I'm in North America... They like "trucks" here... there was really no other option

God Damn !! Very nice and more get up and go than a vehicle that size has any right to have.
    I dropped the bike off (I still haven't met the guy who's looking after it, he was away riding. But I know where he lives ) and we made our way back to Toronto.
    Next day we went into the city and had a look around.
    There's a tower there, with cool views of the city

and some crowds outside Rogers stadium

There was a ball game on and some other convention thing happening. Visited an aquarium... where I found Nemo

and I tried to cancel my mobile contract without much success, also visited some shops and Chinatown and saw some pretty different stuff/people
    Next day was the end.... Time to fly home. Tom was taking different flights than me so he left earlier. I'd been keeping up with the happenings at Pearson airport, as it was quite a mess, so planned on being there early for the flight, when I got a mssg from Tom saying "be reeeal early as this place is a mess" or words to that effect. They were making last calls for his flight while he was still stuck in security. He made it just as they were unloading his bags
    I high tailed it to the airport and it was a dis organized mess.... a clusterfuck one could say. I eventually made it through a couple of different counters, hours cueing, and a gentle frisking by security Apparently, it's because of my clothes. I guess pants and a shirt can upset the scanners, next time I'll just wear undies
    And I got home alright

Bike
    F800GS
    I'll throw some random pics here... ones that I've either forgotten to include, or skipped past the bits where they were taken in the main RR

Toronto city

From the "Needle"

Worlds largest axe. In Nackawic. We found a free camp not far from there

Worlds longest covered bridge, like the sign says... In Hartland N.B.

A distillery. They had some good stuff. Aaaaand I got the tshirt

Snak anyone ? I'm sure there's enough to go around...

Camping on Ill D'Orleans

Camping somewhere else...

These little suckers were very friendly

Early morning bust up just off shore as I was having coffee

Insects at the Insectarium in Deer lake N.F.

Cannon in Old Quebec.

Elliston. The Puffin place

also the self proclaimed root cellar capital of the world

There's hundreds more but I wont bore you all... and I still haven't looked at all the video footage

It's taken a while to finish this RR as the trip turned into something I wasn't happy with. I seriously under estimated the time it would take to fully do justice to the area. There was things I wanted to do, places I wanted to go that were just not possible with the time constraints. Or they would be but it would just be more rushing to tick a box without taking the time to fully soak it in.
    Also...While it was good to be travelling with someone else, we never really gelled. It made for some "strained" times, as we are both used to our independence, and have different ways of going about things, and I'm being polite here... which contributed to the feeling of the trip not living up to expectations.

Anyhooooo.... Leave is booked for next year (not approved yet ) Newfoundland will definitely be re visited as will Quebec, probably Labrador too.
    Stay tuned

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Travelling with someone is a dark art. You're either very flexible and it's easy to get on with someone, or you have to gel pretty damn well for it to work.

As for rushing things, just look at visitors to NZ, hey, how do I see the country in 1-2 weeks... uh, yeah, not going to happen.

Awesome pics tho, especially the sunset
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Thanks for the latest posts. Always enjoy your travel tales and photos.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I wanna see you go to Prudhoe bay and cry like itchy boots did!��
    Oh and blowing up your undies! Hahaha!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information