Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    F800GS
    Right... I've got a bit of time to kill as I wait at Hells gate roadhouse for fuel. Got here yesterday and the tankers supposed to turn up tomorrow.

Anyway, I camped the night at Einesleigh and picked up a hand crafted souvenir while enjoying happy hour round the fire with other travelers.

I could've had that branded into my soft white flesh, but chickened out.
    Strolled down to Copperfield gorge in the morning and video called home from this spot

There was a roo bouncing round out there too. Here's the pub.
    Then I packed up and made my way to Georgetown, past some interesting rocks, there was quite a few of them and I don't think they're man made

Had to line up for fuel there as it was very busy, as it is everywhere. Then carried on to Croydon. The road was pretty straight with not much worthy of taking a pic of. I LOLed when a group of Harleys went past, the last vehicle in their group (I assume) was an SUV towing a 2 bike trailer.
    Anyways.. here's Croydon

There's some sculptures there

And a pub, where I stayed

I noticed this was getting worse, better do something about it
    .... tomorrow.
    I carried on towards Normanton and met Krys the croc

Then made my way to Karumba, where I snaffled the last available spot in the sunset campground. I stopped at a place advertising cruises, but they were full. I put on my best puppy dog face a wrangled a spot on that evenings cruise.
    There was a Crocodile

A cruise up the river learning a bit about the history of the place, then we shot out to a sand island for drinks and nibbles and to watch the sunset

Pretty cool, right ?
    Next day I went to Normanton to see if someone could take care if my leaky seal. The first place wasn't interested, the second said yes, but it'll have to be tomorrow. That wouldn't do, I had the seal and the tools and talked them into supplying a work space and hoist

For a small fee

Good to know "a box" is legal tender here too.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bike
    F800GS
    After sorting that I made my way outa town, still heading west

And made it to Burketown, where I had to wait for the info center to open so I could get a camp site. They gave me one down by the river, with steep banks as I am tenting and there's crocs in the river, I set up a safe distance away, I hope.

Next, I continued westward

Stopping in Doomadgee for supplies. These little tykes knew I'd just got $2 change so came looking for it, of course nothing is free so I swapped it for a pic.

Which brings me to here... . Hells gate roadhouse. No unleaded,until tomorrow, hopefully.I've got about 150k's max in the tank. And just out front is this sign

Not looking forward to meeting one of these on the rough dirt road ahead.

Could be worse... I've got food, shelter, brought a book about a local rascal and they sell beer.

Bike
    F800GS
    Better crack on...
    After 2 days at Hells gate there was still no sign of a fuel tanker, they'd also run out of diesel. I thought, bugger this and I'd finished the book. So wandered up to a roadworkers camp and asked if they had any lying around,managed to get a tank full. Happy days
    Quickly packed up the next morning and idled out the gate.... past the tanker "Doh"
    The road to the border was being worked on and was smooth as.

After that it went downhill rapidly. First was this patch of deep bulldust

The pic doesn't do it justice. Then a mix of hard pack dirt/gravel/corrugations and sand for a couple of hundred k's. I managed to stay upright, thankfully.
    After a drink/snack stop. I took of down the road, it wasn't for about a k that I realized something was missing. That could've been disastrous.

Otherwise it was pretty uneventful. Some creek crossings.

And into Boroloola for gas and a snack. I had planned on heading for the southern lost city campground in Limmen Nat. Park, however that Garmin skank had other ideas. She directed me out towards a place called Bing Bong

Past some burnoffs

And tried to make me go down what looked to be a farm track. A quick consult of the map and I backtracked the 60ks to the turnoff, and headed for the right road.
    I didn't quite make it before I turned around again, realizing I wouldn't have enough gas for the next leg.
    Grabbed a room in a swanky (not) motel in Boroloola, which is surrounded by a 8ft fence topped with barbed wire. Had Barra and beer for tea and crashed into bed exhausted.

Bike
    F800GS
    I had words with Ms Garmin and put her on the right path, so set of full of confidence the next morning. Got yet moar gas, even putting a few liters in the bladder(fuel bladder, not mine )
    Got on the right road, Ryan's Bend rd, and made my way to Nathan River rd. Limmin nat park. Time to celebrate with a jelly baby

Well I'd though yesterday's corrugations were bad, this was next level. Bit less sand though. Getting closer to the Lorella springs turnoff I noticed signs advertising "shady areas" and "tea and coffee". The thought of sitting in the shade with a pot of tea was quite appealing, until I realized it would a 60k+ round trip. Water, a snack pack of dry nutri grain and a bickie would have to do.

The road got better after the Lorella springs turnoff. But still had its moments.
    I found the turnoff to the southern lost city... very cool place, it's a shame didn't get to camp there.

Then it was just a case of rinse and repeat, the sand getting worse. I dislike riding in sand, and the corrugations getting bigger, and still hundreds of k's to go.

This mailbox caught my eye though. Anatomically correct and everything.

I eventually made it to a campsite at Mundabila or Tomato island. Nice spot, and settled in. Dingo's were howling in the night too, quite eeeerie, cool but.
    Next day.... today. I wanted to make Katherine. Bike service tomorrow and hopefully fix the leaky seal, the last 2 days have finally finished it off.

Ayyyyeeee.....Tapatalk won't let me upload any more pics this month, shame

Guess y'all have to wait till next month.

Bike
    Husqvarna 701E - WR250F - Can Am 500

eek

Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Guess y'all have to wait till next month.
    James, your ride reports are the only reason I ever visit Kiwi Biker now.
    Rest of the site is dead and buried.
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Grumpy old man.

Love the pics and story. Keep riding.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    The pictures of the outback pubs bring to mind the cartoon Ettamogah Pub that used to be in the Australian Weekly News (?)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Thanks for the write up and the photos... us Kiwis don't really understand the idea of distances until you get to somewhere like Australia... road disappears into the distance and you can see the curvature of the earth.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Thanks for the write up and the photos... us Kiwis don't really understand the idea of distances until you get to somewhere like Australia... road disappears into the distance and you can see the curvature of the earth.
    True story... k's and k's of straight road only going up and down. I haven't been bored yet though.
    If I want to go from my place to Chch I can think of about dozen places to get fuel reliably. Here not so much.
    I might want to check out a scenic attraction here, it could be a 60k round trip, which may mean I won't get to the next gas station.
    As WA is pretty much off the table now (personal choice) I thought about the Tannamai rd as an alternative, sadly I can't carry 800 odd k of fuel, so that's out too. Just as well I've got a plan B..... dunno what it is yet, but I'll work it out, after a couple of days in Darwin.

Still trying to sort the pic thing. If anybody has any grand ides, I'm all ears. Hopefully have some shots of magnificent Tuna and/or Wahoo.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    True story... k's and k's of straight road only going up and down. I haven't been bored yet though...

Still trying to sort the pic thing. If anybody has any grand ides, I'm all ears. Hopefully have some shots of magnificent Tuna and/or Wahoo.
    A couple of years ago drove from Sydney to Sydney via Adelaide - Aussie nephew-in-law says, "A weekend's drive..." Came back via Sturt Highway and following the Murray River - side trips off main road to look at weirs. Parts of the Sturt dead-straight with a "curve ahead" which was a gentle sweep to right then left for next straight...

As you say, it's interesting, it's quite different to what we are used to, it's fascinating, it's a bloody big back yard.

As for photos, sorry no idea what to suggest. As for fish, try fresh Barramundi.

A couple of snaps from that trip... crossing the Hay Plain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB1010-07.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	767.5 KB 
ID:	349382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB1010-06.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	813.9 KB 
ID:	349381   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB1010-05.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	783.7 KB 
ID:	349380  

Bike
    F800GS
    Fukc I hate it when I type a post and when I try to post it I'm not logged in and it disappears

2nd time lucky....

Bike
    F800GS
    Right... I think I have things sorted... and a new surface go. Android is good but sometimes it lacks the functionality of microsoft/windows

Here's that termite mound

Anyway, I made my way to Mundabila/Tomato island and pulled into the camp ground there. Met Fritz, another traveller on a WR250 who'd spent the last 6 months doing 1/2 of what I'd planned to do in 3 months. Hence the decision to leave WA alone. No point in rushing through and only seeing what's either side of the road and not experiencing it. We had a good chat, both being of the same age and at a crossroad in life, but I digress....
    After Mundabila I made my way to Roper Bar and fueled up, Fritz had said it was the middle of nowhere, and he was right, pics on the camera. With a full tank of unleaded I carried on towards the Stuart h/way. Was good to be back on the seal

Past a little creeky/billabong thing

I didn't get a shot of the water buffalo, but trust me it was HUGE !!

and made my way to Katherine for a bit. The bike was booked in for a service and to get the left fork sorted.It'd spewed oil all over the left side of the bike and my left leg
    While that was happening I wandered around town, checking out an Aboriginal art place, doing the museum thing, getting my park pass for Kakadu and snapping pics of some murals

and some bats in a tree

I thought they lived in caves ?

I was ready to moove on. I made my way up to Katherine Gorge, past this awesome garden ornament, certainly beats a gnome IMHO

Walked (wheezed, puffed and sweated) a bit of a loop track to take a gander at the gorge, glad I didn't have to walk up these steps

Then made my way back down the road to a hanger for a flight.

That's a Robbie innit ? don't they have a habit of falling from the sky ? at least they took the doors off so I could bail if needed.
    Anyway, here's a bit of the gorge from the air

seriously cool. It's from the air I got a true appreciation of the country. It's a harsh, harsh landscape.
    After that I made my way north and into Kakadu for a bit

You may have noticed the lightweight pants in that shot ? Normally I'm an ATGATT kinda guy, but goodness it was hot. Mid to high 30's.The riding pants were strapped to the top of the bag, the gloves stayed on the tank bag and I didn't shut my visor at all.
    I made my way to a campground for the night and spent the evening chit chatting to other campers before the mozzies drove me indoors.
    Next day I wanted to do a couple of short walks, one to a lookout, more sweating and puffing.... and then to check out some local artwork.

Pretty cool right ? and ancient.
    Then into Jabiru to restock water and grab a late lunch, before carrying on. I didn't bother heading up to Cahills crossing to see if there was any crocs, it was to bigga diversion. Got to the turnoff and made my way down 12k of this track

to find an empty campground. Cool I set up camp, a suitable distance away from the water got some firewood together and watched the wildlife.

A couple of other parties turned up later, but they were doing their own thing so left me alone.
    Next day it was off to Darwin, but not before I'd stopped and gone full tourist and took a cruise on the Adelaide river. There's real live crocs there. I did feel somewhat out of place in my filthy/sweaty/unwashed clothes, but never mind

While waiting for the cruise I booked a spot in a resort so I had somewhere to sleep.
    Spent the day (today) rushing here and rushing there getting stuff done, domestics some might call it, still managed a little bit of sight seeing

Darwin's quite a nice city.And on the + side.....
    They have proper beer

Bike
    F800GS
    Better catch you fullahs up, while I have good internets, and before I take off again.

After doing the tourist thing in Darwin, visiting sites like the old Fanny Bay jail, and the old Quantas hangar, which is fulll of old cars/bikes/machinery and still bears the scars from a bombing by the Japanese in WWII

That's shrapnel holes in the steel framing, highlighted in dazzle.
    Bikes....

And some massive underground oil tanks

The bombing by the Japs is quite a big thing there...
    I took a half day fishing charter, expecting BIG things, unfortunately the reality was quite different. I didn't keep 1 fish, IMHO keeping something that small is just wrong. It's different to what I consider normal fishing, but that's why I did it, to get a different perspective.

Oh well... Noodles for tea again
    I set the GPS for a campsite in the Litchfeild NP and set off early afternoon. Got there no worries... and set up camp. Unfortunately the swimming hole was shut due a sighting of a Croc, so there's no image of me swimming in a pristine swimming hole. There is a waterfall there though

I wandered around a bit, found a pocket of WiFi to call home on and retired to watch the flying fox's (Bats) head out into the dusk.
    I packed up the next day and continued on, enjoying actually having some corners to go 'round. I think the tyres liked it too

Made my way out to the "Lost City" along a pretty cool 4WD track

I don't think it was as dramatic as the southern lost city in Limmen NP but it was pretty cool anyway

I stopped off at another lookout thing

and.... well..... Looked out.
    Then checked out some magnetic termite mounds

They build them pretty much North/South, pretty amazing for little critters. Then I popped into the Zebra gallery for a look, another traveller had recomended it. Some cool stuff in there

All natural rocks too, quite bizzare. Of course I had to leave with one. Then carried on to a place called Batchelor, got some fuel and decided to make my way back into the park and check out Florence falls, maybe set up my tent there. Unfortunately, both campsites were full, and the falls were heaving with people swimming. Headed back to the Zebra and grabbed a bit of dirt there.

They had pigs running round the campground

The hosts warned me not to leave anything lying around, so I didn't. However I was woken in the dead of night by a mob of pigs snuffling round the tent, no drama though, they didn't get into anything.

Next day I carried on south, back through Katherine

heading for Daly Waters. Unfortunately there's not a lot to see. I was feeling somewhat lethargic so couldn't even be bothered twitching my thumb to indicate to stop at anything.
    Rolled into Daly Waters and parked appropriately

The place was dripping with people, all the campgrounds were full, they were qued up at the bar, and I didn't rate my chances, however I managed to find a spot and set up. I wandered into the bar later that evening and wandered straight back out again, that many people in a small area didn't do it for me, so I had a backcountry meal and hit the hay.
    I got up early next day and cruised around town, taking random pics in the half light. Unfortunately , none of them made the grade for inclusion here.
    Packed up and got out of town, I couldn't find the Stuart tree, but I'm not to worried about it, and continued on South...
    Once again It was a pretty uneventful day, passing some cool looking side roads, but I was heading for SA who I figured would be coming out of lockdown by the time I got there, even had my border pass sorted and tracer app downloaded.
    I made it to the Devils Marbles for the night. I'd popped in here briefly a couple of years ago on another ride, and thought it'd be a cool place to hang for a bit.

It is... Who knew rocks could be so photogenic , I have lots of pics after doing a short walk. Once again the campground was full/chokka, but there's always space for a leeedle tent

Bike
    F800GS
    I got up early next morning so I could catch the sunrise and snap away on the cell phone some more...

and here's a rock, colors straight from the cell camera, no filters or editing

I knew it'd be worth getting up for.
    Then it was more packing/prepping and hitting the road again, only stopping for gas and food. I actually put some tunes on to while away the time. There's a few little plaques and things to look stop at but once again my left thumb couldn't be bothered indicating. I did stop at an old derelict house though...

and this was at one of my gas stops

I passed the spot of Woodmans SWM failure on the last bike trip this way, but didn't stop. I didn't want to open up old wounds. Also called into a road house that'd piqued my curiosity last trip. Something about Aliens and spaceships

I did ask the Indian gentleman behind the counter about the significance and or reason for the display, but he just shrugged and gave me that "I Dunno" look. I bought a fridge magnet and a juice and left none the wiser

Otherwise it was just a day of making miles to Alice
    Oh.... here's a couple of shots from when I stopped to have some party mix, as I was falling asleep
    Looking back....

Looking where I was heading....

A day of not much, other than I got overtaken by a crampervan, and I was sitting on 110
    Anyway... I made it to Alice and had to que for a beer, again

Bike
    F800GS
    No pics here as they're on the phone and I can't be bothered faffing about with SD cards and stuff right now.
    Spent the day wandering around Alice, looking here and peering there... while the steed was having it's forks fixed properly. It even has a couple of Harley bits in it now Not sure that's a good thing, and getting a new tyre.
    I spent the morning making phone calls, checking websites and generally freaking out. Thanks Jacinda....
    Do I cut short my holiday, pay lots to have the bike freighted back to Sydney, grab a flight from Alice home in the next couple of days (not cheap) and slink home with my tail between my legs.....
    OR....
    Say F#*K you covid, sort out a border pass to get into WA, get the G2G thing happening and head out west for a minimum 8 weeks, down some of those interesting side roads I'd by passed.
    I choose the later....
    See how it pans out...

Thread Information