Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    If you're going to Faibanks it'd be rude not to go to Pruhoe Bay. We did it in 3 days but 2 days is do able, weather dependant. Bear in mind it doesn't really get dark that far north in the summer. Doing it on a Harley is worth extra manliness points.
    If it's not on the list then put Hyder on it. Ride above Salmon glacier, check out the bears feasting on salmon, if they're there. Remember your passport as you cross back into Canada afterwards, and don't buy any guns or drugs while you're there.... mm'kay
    Yeah, we'll see what happens (don't have day-by-day details just yet). Upside of an organised trip is the discounts for accommodation etc, downside besides the fixed schedule (learnt last trip), we're going into Telluride, it's a dead end but worth it. Found out 6 months later it actually had 3 awesome mountain pass exits. So when I have an idea of where we're actually going, night stops etc, I'll... make adjustments

Wouldn't be riding a Harley, hell no, length of the trip, more economic to ship my own, did it last time. Benefit is riding your own etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    F800GS
    Testing testing.... Reduced img size

Bike
    F800GS
    Some random pics from Kaslo that I took while out strolling after tea

Shame this was closed, It would've been interesting.

Pedestrian Xing

And George

Bike
    F800GS
    So I packed up in the A.M. leisurely like and hit the road down towards Balfour. Enjoying the sunshine

and got to the ferry. I only had to wait about 15 mins. There had been a Ducati owners group rally in Nelson, and quite a few of them were out for a ride too

we all boarded the ferry together to the sound of Termignonies (? and chattering clutches. They were a friendly bunch Lots of Harleys on the boat too.

A 25 min scenic cruise

and we disembarked. I let the Ducs past where required, I'm good like that. It sounded pretty cool too.
    Now I had planned to take the Gray pass road, Highest pass road in Canada, I think. it google maps said it was the most fuel efficient. It looked to have some squiggly bits on it too. I tried to find out some info on it and found a review that said "Steep, loose with some sharp rocks and the odd bog" essentially. The seed was sown...
    more searching, and it had been closed a couple of weeks earlier, they've had a bit of snow and lots of rain recently..... The seed was nurtured... I asked my hosts for any intel, they suggested there would be quite a bit of "Wildlife" on a road that high up..... I heard "BEARS" and the seed flourished So I rode on past I'm comfortable with my decision. With some company It may've been different ( company who can't ride as fast as me or run as fast )
    Mooving along I carried on down to Creston

Then joined a h/way and beetled off to Fernie. I knew where the provincial park was there from the last trip, so made my way there. I stopped at the kiosk and saw where the un pre booked camps were. There was another guy there looking as well. Got my bearings and took off... massive mono down the road screaming of tyres, spotted an empty spot and skidded to a halt in a shower of gravel (actually NO, I acted my age ) Turns out I got the last spot in the entire camp, and slow guy had to go else where. And because I had my new lucky T-shirt on there was even some firewood

When the attendant came round to collect the fees she mentioned there was bears in the area so be BEAR AWARE ! There was no bear proof lockers left, but I could put my food pannier in their truck if I liked. It was a bit of a hike, I noticed my new neighbors had a car so I asked if I could chuck it in their car "No problem" was the response.

I'll be right back....

Bike
    2016, Honda, Africa Twin
    It's hard to describe the feeling of not being there. There are parts of my emotion that are in pain, made worse by your pics.
    Looks like you are having a great time though, so that's cool. Is that the same campground in Fernie that we stayed at?

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Joburble View Post
    It's hard to describe the feeling of not being there. There are parts of my emotion that are in pain, made worse by your pics.
    Looks like you are having a great time though, so that's cool. Is that the same campground in Fernie that we stayed at?
    It is....

You had the option.... but bought a house instead. Memories wont keep the rain off your head aye ?

Bike
    F800GS
    Spent an uneventful night at Fernie, with a toastie warm fire . Packed up in the morning, stacking the un used wood under the picnic table, it had rained over night and more was predicted and high tailed it towards Calgary. Fernie town seemed pretty chocka with people too.
    Nothing to report on the ride towards Crowsnest, except for the "Pegasus warning" sign posted above, and I crossed into Alberta

The clouds were getting lowerer though, I stopped briefly at Crowsnest pass

and continued on.... pulling of the main drag into a little town, I'm pretty sure it was Crowsnest itself. Time for a bite to eat. I cruised around a bit, seeing what I could see and came across this place

it was chocka, being a holiday w/end. You don't see places done up like that for Waitangi day or Matariki, Eh

Apparently you need a reservation, so I found out from a couple of local ladies waiting to be seated. They assured me I'd be fine, seeing as I was by myself. The place has been going since the 50's and of the waitresses, one was a school teacher normally and the other worked in a lawyers office. They just wanted a bit of w/end work.
    So I got my eggs, lots of. Toast, lots of, and coffee and spent the time chatting to a couple from Oklahoma, who want to come to NZ, he loves fly fishing. And the chef came out for a natter too, he has a sister in Chch. All the while the waitresses were buzzing about taking care of everything and everyone, and refilling coffee cups as soon as they looked like being empty. Honestly... it was gold I left a good tip.
    Suitably refreshed and with a bladder the size of a basketball, I headed back out into the rain. Traffic had built up considerably while I was being fed/entertained. I only stopped at the giant slip to snatch a pic for you guys, and it's pretty crap. But it'll have to do

then I just made my way towards Calgary. The wetness getting wetter and the traffic getting heavier. Huge Rams and F150/250's muscling their way through the stream of cars/caravans.... it wasn't pleasant. I stopped in a leedle place called Black Diamond and consulted google. I had a bit of admin to do in Calgary, but didn't want to stay there, so settled on Okatoks. Found a nice place that includes breakfast and a 15% discount at the pub across the street, and settled in by putting the bag holder thing on a table in front of the heater and drying some stuff out.
    The rain had turned to drizzle so I buzzed out for a walk.

Lots of walking trails around the town. Lots of Deer around too apparently..

and a little vid from the drive through just across the street from where I'm staying

Then it was off to "The George" to take advantage of my 15% off voucher

Bike
    F800GS
    After a breakfast of waffles and berries (with maple syrup Moi) I headed the 40 odd k's to my first port of call. GPS city in Calgary. I wanted an X mount for the phone seeing as how the Zumo wouldn't play ball. I could not find one off the shelf in Vancouver I wasn't looking forward to the motorways (have a look at Calgary on google maps and you'll see why) I'm just a country boy from Motueka But I got there ok.
    The shop had what I needed, but I asked a question and hit gold.... Leave the Zumo with them for a couple of hours and it would be sorted. the next stop wasn't open Mondays, the other one doesn't open till Friday, and the 3rd option didn't open till mid day
    No problem.... go to Timmy Hortons, which was just across the carpark, grab a coffee and second breakfast and sort something. Did that, and just as I was leaving I got a call that the Zumo was done. All software up to date and loaded up with routable maps for all of Canada..... aaaand the US..... aaaaaand a bit of Mexico

So I dicked around, putting the wiring back in and sorting out where to go next. Seeing as how the museum was shut, I figured Calgary tower could be worth a look, even though it was pretty overcast. I wobbled into the city... not to bad, but I was a bit on edge. eventually found a car park a few blocks away, noticed some dodgy looking folks loitering and thought .... "fcuk this" I'll find a hill instead.
    Found one

They're setting up for the Calgary Stampeeeeed, which starts on Friday

Part of me wants to hang around and take a gander, the other part says fook that. The population of Calgary plus all those tourists, I'd rather slam my wanger in a car door.
    So I wobbled back to Okotoks, off loaded all the change in my tank bag, found a fridge magnet and got a new book, about cattle ranching, and some of the personality's involved. I'll let you's know if it's any good.
    FWIW... I just finished Chris Longs book "The Boy From Gorge River" Interesting guy who's led an interesting life, so far. worth the read. 4 Stars.
    I'll return in a bit for some more from Jatz's travels and Book reviews after I've checked out some Dinosaur stuff, some Hoodoos and a ghost town....

Bike
    F800GS
    Almost forgot......

Yummmmm

Bike
    2016, Honda, Africa Twin
    I see you mentioning hudus, if you are up that way, go check out Drumheller. The dinosaur museum (the official one) is pretty cool and worth a look. Also the town has a massive dinosaur statue thing.

Bike
    F800GS
    Re Gray's pass....
    I just saw this post on AdvRider.

MCMXCIVRS
    MCMXCIVRS
    Long timer
    New
    When its open, its an easy road. Cars and SUVs can drive through on it. However, latest intel has it still blocked with snow at the summit. Maybe clear in another week or two if the weather warms up enough and assuming there is nothing burried under the snow to keep it blocked.

I made the right call... don't feel like such a wuss now

Bike
    F800GS
    Sounds ominous.... glad I've got my lucky t-shirt back on

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    "After a breakfast of waffles and berries (with maple syrup Moi) I headed the 40 odd k's to my first port of call. GPS city in Calgary."

See... I told you... maple syrup makes things better... got your GPS sorted and with additions.

Enjoying your adventures - vicariously.

Bike
    F800GS
    Right.... I'll see if I can catch you guys up, or I'll get bored and hit the sack.

So I left Okotoks and headed off northish. After I'd been accosted in the car park by the owner of what turned out to be a 1200r in the carpark. I did wonder what was under the cover when I'd left the day before. So we stood about and yakked about travelling, where we'd been, where we were headed and a bit of BMW stuff for about an hour. I was well ready to get mooving by this stage. I called into a bike shop looking for some bits"n"bobs I hadn't been able to secure yet. No luck there either, and got out of dodge (after another natter to another fellow biker about bikes Thankfully it wasn't another epic)
    Back on the road again...

I had to do a U turn to go check this out...

Horse shoe canyon. Quite a cool place. I looked down at the people walking around the bottom of it and decided that wasn't for me, they looked tiny. I also discovered I'd missed the town of Vulcan and its Enterprise sculpture. Oh well.... I would say "Next time" but I'm reasonably confident there won't be a next time.
    I made my way to Drumheller to check out some dinosaur stuff. There was this big giant

and this little fellah

The town has really embraced the Jurassic thing. It's a shame it was crawling with kids, yelling and screaming and being kids... God, maybe I am the grumpy old goat I get called occasionally So I pootled out the Royal Museum, expecting a bit of peace. The car park is the size of a small suburb and I eventually managed to find a park I could hear the little tykes from my spot, so used the time to find somewhere else to be... A place that had been recommended that very A.M. buy BMW guy

The Last Chance Saloon in Wayne. They had camping out back. I got instructions, eventually "anywhere will be fine" She said, and went and set up. Then had a bit of a wander around town...

and stumbled back to the saloon to recover

Eventually....Suitably "recovered" I went back to my tent. When the camp owner? drove up and told me I couldn't camp where I was, I'd have to move... about 20m away. I guess he had his reasons, so I upped sticks and dragged the tent to an approved location. I risked it and went to the saloon for tea... eventually. The place was pretty busy... I had my meal, grabbed a couple of bottles of water, because the camp didn't have water, a beer to go and went back to my tent for a bread roll with tuna.
    It's an interesting establishment, dripping with ambience and history where the staff smile and treat some customers like old friends, and some not. BMW guy must've been treated like the former.
    I got up early. Packed my shit and left.... to have a gander at "The Hoodoos"

These aren't Hoodoos, but....

I wonder how long it'll be before we see these in NZ

Then it was back into Town, grab some gas and hit the road.... See ya Drumheller

The ride out was very cool, nice corners through the cliffs. I couldn't help but think it'd be neat to have a video to record it....

Bike
    F800GS
    So... the waitress in Okotoks, who'd recommended Drumheller and the Hoodoos had also mentioned a place called Rowley. So I banged it into the GPS and made my way there. A little off the main drag

One or two soft spots But I got there. Worth the detour.

It's a semi abandoned town in but*f**k nowhereville, I left the keys in the bike and went for a wander

You can camp there... But only in certain spots. And you have been told

Very cool then I carried on only stopping for a bite to eat in Settler. Now I've set myself a little challenge this trip. No eating in gas stations, eateries attached to gas stations or chain stores. lets see how this pans out. I stopped at a cosy cafe for a pretty good sandwich and when I left I couldn't help but notice this sign. It just seemed so out of place

After that, I beetled up to Edmonton I knew there was a bike shop in town who had what I wanted, just not which one... so I picked the one with the glossiest pic on google and headed there. Now... My Sena had been giving me some issues and the one remaining speaker was reeeealy hard to hear and all crackly. Yet another technical issue .... So I've invested in a Sena 10C. It's a work in progress, but the footage looks pretty good so far ( it's uploading, so I'll come back to it)

While I was in the shop, I sourced some fork seals ( for spares) and rear brake pads which are getting down. They also found me a front sprocket ( why is it so fcuking hard to find a consumable part for a common bike ??) But it's in Yorkton Nevermind, that's East, which is where I'm heading. The lovely lady in parts rang to make sure it was there, and they'd hold it, then suggested I head out to Elk Island park. Aaaaaand she gave me a "travelers discount" on the parts. Big shout out to Argyll Motorsports in Edmonton, if'n your in the hood and need something I think they'll have it or know where it is.
    Edmonton was pretty busy and Miss Garmin decided Elk island park was an industrial area on the west side of town Not ideal. A bit of finger waggling and some terse words had us back on track.
    Now, I never thought I'd have range anxiety in Canada, but... I thought I had enough. Turn's out doing 110 for prolonged periods kinda sucks through it. I'd seen the ESSO station, but that's got ethanol in it, so carried on. then decided maybe I didn't have enough to get through the park. Bear in mind, this is a 4 lane h/way, everyone doing 110/120 with a massive grass dividing strip so you can't just spin around.
    I saw a sign for a town, found a turnaround and went back to the town. station was shut, had been for a while, so I asked a local. I'd need to head back to the ESSO but there was 2 servos there. I got there, but the fuel light was winking at me.
    So, I got to the park, checked in, got the low down and went looking. Nice spot. Wildlife was a bit scarce, but I spotted this fellah

and a lake

I think I may need to brush up on my French as I head east, Apparently it's more prevalent.

There was a Coyote too but he/she was way to quick for me
    Then I made my way to Lamont where the 2 accom. places I tried were full so I ended up in Bruderheim. Laundry, working out Sena and a mean Lasagna.

TBC...

Thread Information