Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Jatz's travels

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So you've had vax over there and no proof? That may prove interesting when you get back and want a certificate.

Wonder how much testing has been on having 4 jabs inside a year?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So you've had vax over there and no proof? That may prove interesting when you get back and want a certificate.

Wonder how much testing has been on having 4 jabs inside a year?
    Didn't seem to make a difference, however I do have a twitch I didn't have before the booster

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bike
    F800GS
    On the road again.....
    George is along for the ride too

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Cool, where are you off?

Bike
    F800GS
    CAUTION Lots of pics so those of you on dialup might want to navigate away now..... CAUTION

So I left home at 16:05 last Sunday, flew to Aucktown and jumped on another plane (after a little wait) Auckland

flew for 13hrs and landed in Vancouver @ 14:15 on Sunday ... Grabbed a cab to my Air BnB and settled in. The shops were about a half hour walk away so I downloaded a couple of Uber apps and placed an order, it turned up in the driveway 20 mins later. Never used any Uber before, that was pretty cool
    Bike shops here aren't open Mondays so I took care of some other admin first. Rego and insurance, a little over 2k for 3 months Makes NZ's rego look like peanuts. New sim for the phone, more $$ and I got a monthly account because it was cheaper. I had a quick google to try find an alternative and I discovered Canada has some of the highest mobile data charges on the planet. It is what it is... must remember to cancel it before I leave or the debt collectors will turn up at the Air BnB I stayed at
    Next morning I hailed another Uber ( I really did embrace that while I was there) and had to go into downtown Va. The bike shop had shut their branch within walkin distance of my digs. I was expecting another BIG bill for all the storage and the check/run and fuel swap last NZ winter, but was pleasantly surprised... Here it is, fresh out of storage

I installed the harness I'd made for GPS and powered it up..... OH. No routing. update the thing through my mobile connection..... still nothing.... it worked fine at home and across the ditch. After about an hour I gave up. Plugged some earbuds into the phone (lucky I brought those) and navigated back to the accom using voice only. I was a little strung out by the time I got there, but I made it Turns out I needed to download/update the maps using a pc/cable and memory card, none of which I had
    Packed my shit had another crap night sleep and got out of dodge the next morning
    First stop was a little eating place in an industrial area about 20 mins out. They also sell used clothes, local crafts and trinkets

Good food though and Al (who was also having breakfast) kept me company and provided conversation. I beetled out to Hope, took a wrong turn, got back on track and made my way towards Kamloops

Been a while since George has seen snow... I think he was glad to be out of the house

I turned of the main drag at a little place called Ashcroft and made my way up a hill.... got a bit foggy/rainy/cold up there

then a little bit of main rd before mrs Google had me heading for Lac Le Jeune

That was slipperier than it looks
    Made it to Kamloops, grabbed a room, a feed, a shower and had the first decent nights sleep since I got here

Bike
    F800GS
    Next morning I grabbed a coffee

stocked up on some tucker and hit the road... I had my phone tucked into the pocket on top of the tank bag. When I pulled it out to take a pic it told me it was over heating so there was no camera. also no google maps. I tucked it inside the bag and went and found a tree with some shade. While there I figured I'd chuck some air in the front tyre as it was a bit low. Extract the pump from the pannier, plug it into the 12v socket, turn it on..... and it went for about 1/2 a millisecond. Blown fuse While I had the seat off I figured I'd just use the clips and hook it straight to the battery, also blown fuse I had a bit of wire from the failed GPS wiring so used a bit of that to make shit happen... It did

By this time, the phone had cooled down, so I set off again. A cool bit of road on the other side of the river to H/way 1

While I was in the hood, I called into Dreamcycles museum. Some cool shit in there

This was lurking out in the workshop awaiting restoration

The 1 bike I wish I'd never sold. If anyone knows of one needing a new home let me know plz
    this was my second favorite

this was pretty cool too, in a rare kind of way

there was heaps of other old/rare/unusual bike in there too. The owner came and gave a personal spiel on some before he had to rush back to the counter.
    I also had a crack at this and remembered I am crap at video games

I got some intel on some places to see, roads to ride, grabbed a tshirt, liked the place on facebook to get a sticker and hit the road.
    The main road was getting pretty hectic, seeing as how it was Canada day the next day, long w/end, so I shot off down a side road... with Googles permission of course

Past some farmhouses

and this handymans dream

I got lost.... and had to ask for directions but made my way to Joyce lake for the night

There was a fire.... see above pic. and another good nights kip.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'll be reading along with interest, got the very early stages of a plan for 8-9 weeks next July/August to go US-Canada-Alaska-Canada-US...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    F800GS
    So I packed up next morning, intending to make my way to Nelson BC for the night... I went back up the road a bit to Pinnacle lake to see if I could locate the pinnacle I'd heard about. No luck, but it was a nice spot

Buzzed back to the main rd and carried on. There was a ferry crossing. It was to full when I got there so I had to wait for it to come back...

the gate guy made sure I got off first so I had a good run to Nakusp. I'm convinced the speed limit signs here are like a vague suggestion, as no one sticks to them. Speaking of speed signs... if you thought Maori could be hard to pronounce, try this

Anyway, I saw this LAMBORGHINI !! in Nakusp so had to get a pic

I had a bite to eat just out of shot and the number of people who stopped and looked/took pics was astounding.
    So I carried on along H/way 6 and turned off along 31a, which had been recommended by museum guy. Quite a popular riding route apparently. And I can see why. It winds it's way up a hill then down a valley before depositing you at a lake
    I'll let the pics do the talking

I buzzed into Kaslo, a cool little town and decided to stop for the day. It had been showery and a bit windy coming down the valley, and I'm getting old and soft. A quick google and I found 1 place that had a room for $347 per night. That wouldn't do. There was a place just across the road from the beach, with a view of the lake and mountains, so I stumbled over to enquire. Scored the last room and it was less than half what google was telling me.
    I'm up here...

looking out at this...

I like Keslo Good food, good beer and happy people.

Anyhooo... it's past my bed time, I'll give Nelson a miss tomorrow as I've got a good looking route planned, lets see if I can stick to it

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I'll be reading along with interest, got the very early stages of a plan for 8-9 weeks next July/August to go US-Canada-Alaska-Canada-US...
    You'll enjoy it. If I can be of any help let me know.
    This trip I'm heading East until I hit the ocean.

Bike
    F800GS
    I'll try smaller pics next time, they all look a bit over exposed/edited

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Yeah! Another Jatz adventure to enjoy... great photos and witty commentary.

Just remember that everything in Canada works better with maple syrup...

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    You'll enjoy it. If I can be of any help let me know.
    This trip I'm heading East until I hit the ocean.
    Would be going with this fella: https://kiwiken.co.nz/best-of-west-usa/ (went with him in 2011, but only as far north Jasper ish). Just need to replace some of the Harley type stuff with something more... interesting. Maybe some tame BDR stuff. Wouldn't be going further east than North/South Dakota, whether we get up to Fairbanks, I'll see. With shipping etc, too far out to form any definite plan.

Pictures are stunning already
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Golly, that Ferrari is ugly. And has Lamborghini written on it.

Questions.
    You sent the bike there or left it there from a previous trip?
    Do you have a contract style job that you can just leave for 3 months?

Wife and I had always talked about riding Canada when we retired. With our particular kids that is likely a pipe dream now, but maybe somehow.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Golly, that Ferrari is ugly. And has Lamborghini written on it.

Questions.
    You sent the bike there or left it there from a previous trip?
    Do you have a contract style job that you can just leave for 3 months?

Wife and I had always talked about riding Canada when we retired. With our particular kids that is likely a pipe dream now, but maybe somehow.
    Doh.... I knew it... blutty predictive text. I've edited it... my OCD brain wouldn't let it slide

I bought the bike in 2019 as hiring was proving difficult, to go where I wanted to go. It's been in storage at a dealers since Aug 2019.

My last job, in horticulture, winter was the quiet time so I was able to bugger off. The Oz trip I was either semi retired (my version)or between jobs (the missus version) currently I'm contracting. My employer wasn't happy as a 30t digger with a pulverizer for sorting out several thousand cube of concrete had my name on it. But he knew when I took the job on I'm away for the winters.
    I think I've still got a job when I get home

Not sure on your situation, but if it's meant to happen you'll find a way to make it happen. Canada is pretty cool.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Would be going with this fella: https://kiwiken.co.nz/best-of-west-usa/ (went with him in 2011, but only as far north Jasper ish). Just need to replace some of the Harley type stuff with something more... interesting. Maybe some tame BDR stuff. Wouldn't be going further east than North/South Dakota, whether we get up to Fairbanks, I'll see. With shipping etc, too far out to form any definite plan.

Pictures are stunning already
    If you're going to Faibanks it'd be rude not to go to Pruhoe Bay. We did it in 3 days but 2 days is do able, weather dependant. Bear in mind it doesn't really get dark that far north in the summer. Doing it on a Harley is worth extra manliness points.
    If it's not on the list then put Hyder on it. Ride above Salmon glacier, check out the bears feasting on salmon, if they're there. Remember your passport as you cross back into Canada afterwards, and don't buy any guns or drugs while you're there.... mm'kay

Thread Information