Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting headlights for WOF

Bike
    '02 ZX6R

Adjusting headlights for WOF

Anyone able to tell me what the WOF requirements are for headlight adjustment (vertical and horizontal, dip and full beam)? I need to adjust a headlight assembly I bought from the USA so that the settings meet NZ WOF requirements. I've got the manual so I know how to make the adjustments, just not what the parameters are. I would be grateful for any help. Cheers
    Kerry

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    The easy way...
    Park your bike about 2 bike lengths behind a car.
    Headlight on dipped
    set your beam so the top of it is level with the top of the boot.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I hate to say it, but the reflector in the headlight unit will direct the beam in the wrong direction (to the right instead of the left) irrespective of the adjustment available to you. The first owner my previous bike, a Canadian spec GSX600 bought new in NZ, had to fork out big biccies to rectify the reflector unit.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by XP@
    The easy way...
    Park your bike about 2 bike lengths behind a car.
    Headlight on dipped
    set your beam so the top of it is level with the top of the boot.

Thank XP@. I need to set the left/right orientation mostly though
    Kerry

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    I hate to say it, but the reflector in the headlight unit will direct the beam in the wrong direction (to the right instead of the left) irrespective of the adjustment available to you. The first owner my previous bike, a Canadian spec GSX600 bought new in NZ, had to fork out big biccies to rectify the reflector unit.

Yes, that is one of my worries. Only thought about it after I had bought it on eBay.I've done a crude sort of test and so far as I can tell (which is very very roughly) I am able to adjust it sufficiently so the beam does not deflect to the right but I need to to get more scientific
    Kerry

As Jim says you will have to find out id it dips left or right first,or just a vertical dip,but that's less common these days.How high is the lamp above the ground....for your Nifty Fifty that would be dipping 1.0 - 1.5%.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    As Jim says you will have to find out id it dips left or right first,or just a vertical dip,but that's less common these days.How high is the lamp above the ground....for your Nifty Fifty that would be dipping 1.0 - 1.5%.

Thanks Motu. It's actually a 2003 Kawasaki 636 headlight assembly. I've compared it to the (busted and inoperative)) one that was on the bike (which was registered new in NZ with that headlight assembly) and there are no obvious external differences to me (as a layman). So I'm hopeful that it will be able to be adjusted so that it complies. I've installed the new lights and so far as I can tell they do not shine to the right on either dip or full beam, and there seems to be further leftward adjustment available. Vertical adjustment is easy, I can do it by hand with a simple knurled adjuster once I know how far below horizontal they should be on dip and full beam respectively (headlight centres are approx 800mm from the ground). 1-1.5%??What I mostly need to know is should the lights deflect to the left to a certain amount, and if so, by how much, and does the amount of deflection required differ according to whether on dip or full beam, and how do I measure it.
    Kerry

And you are fitting this to a Nifty Fifty?? The lamp should dip straight down to give the an equal spread of light for both left and right corners,but that is seldom done these days,it should be biased to the left,and this will be built in....no adjustment.You set it straight ahead on full beam,dip takes care of itself,but it is tested on dip usualy.At a height of .8m your dip rate should be 1.0 - 1.5%.....57 - 1.15 deg...30 - 60mm for an assemetrical beam.For a symetrical beam it is 3.0 - 3.5%,1.7 - 2.0 deg or 90 - 105mm.Clear as mud.Go to a garge and put it on their beamsetter.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Here are the rules (from the VIR guide, the WOF inspectors 'bible')
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    And you are fitting this to a Nifty Fifty?? The lamp should dip straight down to give the an equal spread of light for both left and right corners,but that is seldom done these days,it should be biased to the left,and this will be built in....no adjustment.You set it straight ahead on full beam,dip takes care of itself,but it is tested on dip usualy.At a height of .8m your dip rate should be 1.0 - 1.5%.....57 - 1.15 deg...30 - 60mm for an assemetrical beam.For a symetrical beam it is 3.0 - 3.5%,1.7 - 2.0 deg or 90 - 105mm.Clear as mud.Go to a garge and put it on their beamsetter.

MMM, complicated ...OK...I'll have a play tonight in the gargre.

And I figure the lights should look kewl on the Nifty Fifty...
    Kerry

Bike
    '02 ZX6R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion
    Here are the rules (from the VIR guide, the WOF inspectors 'bible')

Excellent! Thank you!!
    Kerry

Bike
    A Krappisaki Tractor
    What about turning the reflector upside down so it swaps sides ?
    The contents of this post are my opinion and may not be subjected to any form of reality
    It means I'm not an authority or a teacher, and may not have any experience so take things with a pinch of salt (a.k.a bullshit) rather than fact

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Because I have Italian bikes and so do mates.
    We use to sandblast apart of the lens and they will pass a WOF.
    BUT some of the tester do not like you doing this any more.
    I have done it to a few bikes, as I have a small sand blaster.
    I will take a pic soon to show you what I mean.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Trouble with that is it has to pass a standard,if you sandblast the lens it no longer complies with said standard,so technicaly a fail,even if the light pattern is good.Surprising how many headlamps have a poor pattern.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    In between bikes
    Surprising how many headlamps have a poor pattern.
    Tell me about it. Think the fog lights on my car are better that my low beam and high beam is worse than low beam. Anyway, each time I go to VTNZ they fail me for get this straight:

"Unfocused pattern, high beam to high and low beam to low."

WTF: It's a factory light unit untouched running factory genuine bulbs and bike shop can't find anything wrong.

They should get their eyes checked because if it's factory, why they giving me shit every single time. The light unit is a twin bulb system which looks like bat eyes.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Thread Information