Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt 2000 2015

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Tt 2000 2015

The details for next years TT 2000 are now up on the web site. The link is below.

http://www.tt2000.org/

Looks interesting. I have my route worked out for a Northern circuit. I have located both of the bonus check points.

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    Sold
    Had a look. Know both the north extra checkpoints. Been past 1 of the south extra checkpoints.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by STJim View Post
    The details for next years TT 2000 are now up on the web site. The link is below.

http://www.tt2000.org/

Looks interesting. I have my route worked out for a Northern circuit. I have located both of the bonus check points.
    Me too. Took about an hour all up to find them. Second one was a bit harder than first. Harder to get the kms this year than the points.
    Like the earlier start time as opens up the first day better.

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    Me too. Took about an hour all up to find them. Second one was a bit harder than first. Harder to get the kms this year than the points.
    Like the earlier start time as opens up the first day better.
    Getting the Kms was a little difficult. I am fairly pleased with my route on paper at least.

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    he's back !!!
    thinking of giving this a go for the first time, any hints as to where the bonus checkpoints are? what sort of ride time do you work on? is it common to treat it like a 24hr event? need to be on the ferry saturday I assume........
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    he's back !!!
    all good located them both

Bike
    A black one
    Thinking about trying this for the first time also. Many people dumb enough to do this on a supersport? (such as myself..)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Thinking about trying this for the first time also. Many people dumb enough to do this on a supersport? (such as myself..)
    I remember one year, chap on a 600 I think, passes me down the straights. Further along, he's filling with gas so I pass. Then he passes me down the straights. Was quite hilarious. He also had bugger all good gear, consisting of leather jacket and shirt etc, that musta been hella cold.

As a certain someone on a GN250 proved in the Grand Challenges, the rider plays a bigger part than the bike (although it can make it easier or harder). If you're good to do long distance day rides already, then you should be Ok. However, if you're used to doing 200km and calling it a day, then you're in for a surprise.

The trick is not to race out the blocks. Trying to ride fast uses more of your energy and more gas. You tire faster. Keep a consistent economical pace, but limit stops as much as possible and when you do stop, limit them. Some prefer more frequent small stops (say every 100-200km), others less frequent longer stops (last time I was really pushing the numbers, I did 500km in 5.5 hours and 0.5 hour stop for eating/drinking/re-fueling, rinse and repeat). Do what works for you. The photo stops are also an excellent way to bleed time. If you manage to lose one minute per photo then you're on GP style. Factor in the loss of speed as you slow down (plus speeding up), time taken to get camera out etc. Some riders then have a quick chat, maybe a snack and drink... ta-da, you're now losing in excess of 10min.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    thinking of giving this a go for the first time, any hints as to where the bonus checkpoints are? what sort of ride time do you work on? is it common to treat it like a 24hr event? need to be on the ferry saturday I assume........
    I just work on about 12 hrs per day but it varies. The next one I intend to be in Taihape around 10pm for a stop for a sleep. Next day starts at 6am and ends up at the ferry to get the 11pm boarding on the bluebridge for a sleep in the cabin and the Sunday morning crossing. Sunday is just the quick run down to Christchurch picking up all the points on the way to finish.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    got a basic map sorted to collect the required points & have located both mystery checkpoints just need to check the km's & ferry crossing then I Might register could be a goer may linger in the south for awhile after it I suppose

Bike
    he's back !!!
    what are you guys using to plan your route? I was looking at Motowhere .com but I cant get it to draw correctly, google maps I have been using also

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    what are you guys using to plan your route? I was looking at Motowhere .com but I cant get it to draw correctly, google maps I have been using also
    Garmin Mapsource is primary, because it's sent to my GPS which I then run on during the ride... Google Maps for streetview, pinning the points to the correct spot, streetview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Garmin Mapsource is primary, because it's sent to my GPS which I then run on during the ride... Google Maps for streetview, pinning the points to the correct spot, streetview.
    Same.

I certainly recommend a GPS for this ride because of the number of CP's. It's one thing to do a GC or C1KC with only 5 or 6 CP's but when you're looking at 30-50, let the machine do the remembering....and let it tell you to turn left in 1Km.....350mtrs.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    A black one
    I remember one year, chap on a 600 I think, passes me down the straights. Further along, he's filling with gas so I pass. Then he passes me down the straights. Was quite hilarious. He also had bugger all good gear, consisting of leather jacket and shirt etc, that musta been hella cold.

As a certain someone on a GN250 proved in the Grand Challenges, the rider plays a bigger part than the bike (although it can make it easier or harder). If you're good to do long distance day rides already, then you should be Ok. However, if you're used to doing 200km and calling it a day, then you're in for a surprise.

The trick is not to race out the blocks. Trying to ride fast uses more of your energy and more gas. You tire faster. Keep a consistent economical pace, but limit stops as much as possible and when you do stop, limit them. Some prefer more frequent small stops (say every 100-200km), others less frequent longer stops (last time I was really pushing the numbers, I did 500km in 5.5 hours and 0.5 hour stop for eating/drinking/re-fueling, rinse and repeat). Do what works for you. The photo stops are also an excellent way to bleed time. If you manage to lose one minute per photo then you're on GP style. Factor in the loss of speed as you slow down (plus speeding up), time taken to get camera out etc. Some riders then have a quick chat, maybe a snack and drink... ta-da, you're now losing in excess of 10min.
    Thanks for the tips Gremlin, really good stuff, appreciated. I'll be giving this more thought over the next couple months..

Bike
    A
    The trick is not to race out the blocks. Trying to ride fast uses more of your energy and more gas. You tire faster. Keep a consistent economical pace, but limit stops as much as possible and when you do stop, limit them.
    Very good and valid advice. I don't do many endurance type of events nowadays, but yes it's a bit like driving trucks long distance on a tight timetable. You don't have to speed, just start off well organised and minimise both the duration and number of stops. When trucking (and I've been at it for over 25 years) it's always amazed me how many cars or even bikes will overtake me numerous times when I've just been cruising along, keeping the doors shut and the wheels turning at a steady pace...

Kinda tempted to do the TT2000, but given it's much like my job I've only looked at the TT2000 and thought I'd prefer the sketched itinerary of a two week outing on the bike without fixed destination or time/location checks. Good luck to all participants though

Thread Information