Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool of the day suggestions start here

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    I couldn't stop thinking about this thread while using this "tool". This "10 minute job" started 7pm yesterday (6hrs ago) and I've just finished.

The back story...
    Town water supply got chlorinated just over a year ago. We noticed our daughter got really bad skin as a result so I installed a full house carbon-decholrination dual filter unit.

Tonight I popped the filter out to check the condition of the paper prefilter and carbon filter. When I put the carbon one back in it must not have lined up right or something weird.

This meant when I turned the water back on it pumped a couple of kilos of carbon chips through the entire house water system and blocked at all the taps. Fuck!

This is the contraption I created with the random shit in the shed. It allowed me to back flush using the neighbours hose in the opposite direction to our mains via the toilet cistern inlet. Switching back and forth from the toilet inlet to the mains and all the other taps after 5 hours everything is clear again.

Moral of the story, never throw anything out.
    Parts listed:

Gas fitting tap, water tap, plastic injection mould water fittings from my last job. Water crimp fitting from a junk box, air line fittings etc.

Last but not least the black piece of hose was the piece I cut out 12 months ago to fit the filter system in-line!

Fuck me days it's time for bed! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...03056f72d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Great ingenuity dude.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by speights_bud View Post
    I couldn't stop thinking about this thread while using this "tool". This "10 minute job" started 7pm yesterday (6hrs ago) and I've just finished.

The back story...
    Town water supply got chlorinated just over a year ago. We noticed our daughter got really bad skin as a result so I installed a full house carbon-decholrination dual filter unit.

Tonight I popped the filter out to check the condition of the paper pre=filter and carbon filter. When I put the carbon one back in it must not have lined up right or something weird.

This meant when I turned the water back on it pumped a couple of kilos of carbon chips through the entire house water system and blocked at all the taps. Fuck!

This is the contraption I created with the random shit in the shed. It allowed me to back flush using the neighbours hose in the opposite direction to our mains via the toilet cistern inlet. Switching back and forth from the toilet inlet to the mains and all the other taps after 5 hours everything is clear again.

Moral of the story, never throw anything out.
    Parts listed:

Gas fitting tap, water tap, plastic injection mould water fittings from my last job. Water crimp fitting from a junk box, air line fittings etc.

Last but not least the black piece of hose was the piece I cut out 12 months ago to fit the filter system in-line!

Fuck me days it's time for bed! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...03056f72d7.jpg

Cool stuff i dont really know how it works but some filter housing back wash via a simple tap like this.
    A friend tried to explain to me once it but it seemed gobbidygook.

That something this simple would work.
    http://h2oshoponline.com.au/image/ca...01-500x500.jpg
    he claimed just opening the tap back washs the filter.
    I would say it doesn't but if it was rigged with a few taps to reverse the flow direction it could.

Were we live we are on a bore typical its full of iron, while i know how to make a simple aerator isand filter with a shower nozzle and base for the filter and corrugated pipe to increase the aeration.
    but i have resisted as i don't want to pump the water twice and i could never find a suitable simple auto backwash.

My thoughts on a backwash ideally it would work on say tee off chocked down with jet triggering so it took say 0.05% water to fill a toilet cysteine so it would somehow operate say every 1000 liters.
    but i could never figure how they get them to auto flush.

My other thoughts were to simplify the old shower base filters and just just a pool sand filter. and maybe use a compressor air injection pre sand filter but i couldn't then figure out how to get the air out properly unless i just could get away with feeding it into a sealed reservoir?

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT
    i get your one you just reversed the mains flow.
    We had wood chips end up in our pipes after some renos it took ages and was blocking the upstairs shower quite regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    I wonder if that unit uses a venturi (sp?) effect to draw water back through the system?
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Cool stuff i dont really know how it works but some filter housing back wash via a simple tap like this.
    A friend tried to explain to me once it but it seemed gobbidygook.

That something this simple would work.
    http://h2oshoponline.com.au/image/ca...01-500x500.jpg
    he claimed just opening the tap back washs the filter.
    I would say it doesn't but if it was rigged with a few taps to reverse the flow diection it could.

We are on a bore typical for my area its full of iron while i know how to make a simple aerator isand filter with a shower nozzle and base for the filter and corrugated pipe to increase the aeration.
    but i have resisted as i dont want to pump the water twice and i could never find a suitable simple auto backwash.

Why thoughts on a backwash ideally it would work on say tee off chocked down with jet triggering so it took say 0.05% water to fill a toilet cystein so it would somehow operate say every 1000 liters.
    but i could never figure how they get them to auto flush.

My other thoughts were to simplify the old shower base filters and just just a pool sand filter. and maybe use a compressor air injection pre sand filter but i couldnt then figure out how to get the air out properly unless i just could get away with feeding it into a sealed reservoir?

So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT
    We had wood chips end up in our pipes after some renos it took ages and was blocking the upstairs shower quite regularly.

Bike
    husaberg
    I wonder if that unit uses a venturi (sp?) effect to draw water back through the system?

No idea but they do flush out when opened while running maybe not back flush but more agitation effect?
    They are most commonly seem on irrigation filters ? (athough a lot of housings seem to have un-drilled provision for them.
    The filter housings are much easier to open too if you can drain the water out first of course. (Suction)
    I have never taken much notice to which way the water flows weather its outside to in or inside to out on a std filter i use follow the direction arrow.
    I would say its always outside to inside filter medium.
    So to if a bypass tap and line was put in you could use the tap at bottom to create a inside to outside flow with the tap leading to waste.
    I will draw a pic.

I drew it left handed (dont ask)
    three vales two tees two elbows to manually backwash the filter.
    i always had mime set up to by pass so i could still wash the filter without having to put it together again with another filter or bypass the filter and dosatron i had set up for stock water minerals entirely.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Sold
    Here’s my Tool of the Day although I’m probably the tool for needing it in the first place.

We’ve got a 2 storey house and the piping from the kitchen sink upstairs has a very shallow angle drop between the floors for around 5 or 6 metres before dropping vertically to the drain collector on the outside of the house.

Any bits of sticky leftover food matter (especially leftover rice), needs a lot of water to drive it along the shallow drop. Now and again, it sticks to the pipe, occasionally blocks it and the waste water behind it builds up. First time it happened, I tried caustic soda and it did bugger-all. Plumbers are hard to get at the drop of a hat up our way and charge like a wounded bull so a bit of desperate innovation was called for.

With the twists and turns, it would have been hard to get a garden hose down to punch its way through so decided to try the compressor I carry on the Suzuki. It’s just an Arlec compressor from the Warehouse that I’ve taken the case off to make it nice and compact (see pic). I then cut out a square of foam rubber and a thin bit of stiff board and force fitted a piece of plastic pipe through which the nozzle end of the compressor could grip. (see pic)

Unscrewed the U bend underneath the sink so that there was a bare pipe end. Attached the compressor to a 12v battery and pushed the foam rubber square against the drain pipe end. The backed-up water meant there wasn’t much of an air gap and it only took a few seconds of pressure to blow the rice loose.

Have learned my lesson but on the odd occasion I forget not to flush food scraps and block it, it’s a pretty instant fix with no mess and no plumbing bills!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inflator.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	809.7 KB 
ID:	339404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blank.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	691.3 KB 
ID:	339405  

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Here’s my Tool of the Day although I’m probably the tool for needing it in the first place.

We’ve got a 2 storey house and the piping from the kitchen sink upstairs has a very shallow angle drop between the floors of around 5 or 6 metres before dropping vertically to the drain collector on the outside of the house.

Any bits of sticky leftover food matter (especially leftover rice), needs a lot of water to drive it along the shallow drop. Now and again, it sticks to the pipe, occasionally blocks it and the waste water behind it builds up. First time it happened, I tried caustic soda and it did bugger-all. Plumbers are hard to get at the drop of a hat up our way and charge like a wounded bull so a bit of desperate innovation was called for.

With the twists and turns, it would have been hard to get a garden hose down to punch its way through so decided to try the compressor I carry on the Suzuki. It’s just an Arlec compressor from the Warehouse that I’ve taken the case off to make it nice and compact (see pic). I then cut out a square of foam rubber and a thin bit of stiff board and force fitted a piece of plastic pipe through which the nozzle end of the compressor could grip. (see pic)

Unscrewed the U bend underneath the sink so that there was a bare pipe end. Attached the compressor to a 12v battery and pushed the foam rubber square against the drain pipe end. The backed-up water meant there wasn’t much of an air gap and it only took a few seconds of pressure to blow the rice loose.

Have learned my lesson but on the odd occasion I forget not to flush food scraps and block it, it’s a pretty instant fix with no mess and no plumbing bills!
    Sweet, last night I also used the Shop vac (christmas prezzie for the Mrs) to help vacuum out the blocked taps once I'd removed the valve assembly. Water mains from behind and suction out the other end.

In an effort to try not compact the granules in corners I avoided resorting to the Compressor.

Bike
    Sold
    Sweet, last night I also used the Shop vac (christmas prezzie for the Mrs) to help vacuum out the blocked taps once I'd removed the valve assembly. Water mains from behind and suction out the other end.

In an effort to try not compact the granules in corners I avoided resorting to the Compressor.
    Cool!!!

Much better than using mechanical or chemical means eh??

p.s My wife has a strict rule - no appliances as prezzies. She said she's stab me in the eye if I tried that

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post

EDIT
    Yes the shower was last on the list of lines to clear. I took the head off before opening that valve. Washing machine inlet screen caught the big stuff but the small particles jammed the inlet selection solenoid/valve. Some percussive maintenance fixed that though. Tappy tap tap!

What buggered me up a bit was my 4yo daughter flushed the toilet after the jam had happened. That then drew the debris down a third line.

Bike
    husaberg
    Yes the shower was last on the list of lines to clear. I took the head off before opening that valve. Washing machine inlet screen caught the big stuff but the small particles jammed the inlet selection solenoid/valve. Some percussive maintenance fixed that though. Tappy tap tap!

What buggered me up a bit was my 4yo daughter flushed the toilet after the jam had happened. That then drew the debris down a third line.
    I stll remember our first house that was on gravity pumped to header tank water we got up one day to finder thecold tap flowed hot took a bit of head scratching to figure out header tank was empty and had to be manually pumped once a week.

The system although only low pressure was great in that even with no power you still had water but i could never be arsed to put in a float switch to fill it automatically.
    Maybe in your daughters situation a second filter inline further along might be a good idea. For the future.
    Id be checking the tiny filter they often have on the hot water cylinder, in our case one under line tap and another on the pressure valve.

here is my shit left handed drawing of a simple manual backflow for filter anyway.
    three valves two tees two elbows but needs the filter housing with tap at bottom.
    shut two mainline taps open one on bypass and other under filter. drain to waste.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shit bugger broken arm.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	339406
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    KTM 250exc

Mini suction base Vice

Here's one I loaned out recently.

Mini vice from trademe for $7 + shipping. I bought it as a joke to see how bad it must be for $12 delivered. Considering it had already come halfway around the world I couldn't resist....

Turns out to be really quite useful. The base only holds for about a half hour which is still enough for most jobs.

The old man borrowed it to hold a circuit board he needed to fix for the farm solar pump. $$ well spent for that job alone.

Trademe link HERE, looks like shipping has gone up but still a bargain.

Name:	FB_IMG_1550392074998.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	341030

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Here's one I loaned out recently.

Mini vice from trademe for $7 + shipping. I bought it as a joke to see how bad it must be for $12 delivered. Considering it had already come halfway around the world I couldn't resist....

Turns out to be really quite useful. The base only holds for about a half hour which is still enough for most jobs.

The old man borrowed it to hold a circuit board he needed to fix for the farm solar pump. $$ well spent for that job alone.

Trademe link HERE, looks like shipping has gone up but still a bargain.
    Looks like a fly tying vice for sharks..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    husaberg

Name:	B&D oldskool.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	350.6 KB 
ID:	350144
    I hear you saying what the f would an old B&D drill stand be useful for in this day and age?

Pretty sure i have mentioned before, But it's bestest use is to compress twin shocks springs easily to remove the collets.
    i liberated this from my dads shed
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I want a flypress. Take up a fair bit of room but awesome for controlled distance pressing.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I want a flypress. Take up a fair bit of room but awesome for controlled distance pressing.
    pretty sure you could make one if its like this?
    oh no video posting on thread

your making me want one now.

i want a slip roller and a bending brake first
    then a mill and a decent lathe a tig, i have left space for all
    I have just abut finished the new work bench its l shaped 3 meter by 6 meters with 2 layers of shelf underneath
    Just finished the bench for my son thats 3 meter long. to the same design.
    it only cost the 12mm MDF and the stain and the poly and the screws the rest was laying about or left overs from renos
    his is mDF my shelf and top will be Ply be interesting to see how both last.

Name:	boys bench.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	345.2 KB 
ID:	350145
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information