Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool of the day suggestions start here

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Funny I was just reading about these in an old Practical Sportbike mag & thought it would be a good idea. hmm. 'undred & 50 notes. . . might have to wait for some special occasion.
    They are a great bit of kit- I only paid the equivalent of 80nzd for mine - I think I have spent more on belts so far. I got the basic model as I wasn't sure how much use it would be- I've done a fair amount of welding recently and still going strong.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	td_394002_bg_expset.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	299398
    Best thing for rounded but/bolt removal. Now that nuts n bolts seem to get softer all the time. $50 from Bunnings.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post

Best thing for rounded but/bolt removal. Now that nuts n bolts seem to get softer all the time. $50 from Bunnings.
    i done seen dem. i never buy shit from b*nnings though. and i buy NZ steel/bolts, so they don't need it unless some c*nt has been at it with a nutfucker.

fuken angle grinder, drill press and stud extractors. fucken chinese bolts.

I have a sprocket holding tool...is good for holding sprockets of course. Today I was doing a Hi Ace diff, and it was the perfect tool for adjusting the side bearings. Some tools sit in the draw for years and never get used, sometimes you need to find other uses for them.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    One of the handiest things in my garage is one of these, mate bought a box of old vet equipment at an auction one day for bugger all, most useful tool I've bought for a couple of bucks.

Attachment 299376
    I have a reasonably good collection of dentist tools. Baby files, clamps, crowbars, pliers, blades.

I don't use them every day, but when I do they usually save me a lot of grief.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I have a reasonably good collection of dentist tools. Baby files, clamps, crowbars, pliers, blades.

I don't use them every day, but when I do they usually save me a lot of grief.

...my dentists mirror has only been used in despairing times a couple of times, but worth its weight when it is effective ...my gas tip cleaning files are probably some of the most useful things to have around at times...multitudes of positions they can get themselves into...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post

Copy of Metrinch, I bought some at a show 20 odd years back. Sloppy feel makes them a drag for day to day use but come into their own when you need them + they are thin wall.

i have a few dentist tools left over from Dad but sadly lost the old drill hand piece I used to play with. Fortunately Chinese ones on ebay mean with an adaptor can be used with my dremel for transfer ports.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Between bikes
    Cheap tap and die set. If something feels like it might be starting to cross-thread, this will vastly increase your chances of saving the threads.

Name:	tapset.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	299411

Cheap wire strippers. I can't stand cutting and stripping wire with a craft knife, when this tool does it so neatly and easily.

Name:	AdjWirStrpb.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	299410
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Having used precision jawed cutter strippers which can strip PTFE easily I used to sneer at that junky one. But I have one now as it does Normal vinyl sheathed bike wire just fine for a few dollars.

a decent Utilux folding crimp tool means no dreadful preinsulated terminals. Buy some terminals like std jap stuff, take a sample to the local trade shop, Corey's or wherever .

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    Been making life easier since ages ago.....

Name:	images6QQWN3GR.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	299414
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I was given one of those. Can't think of a use for it. Think I've put it in the dirt bike kit. Maybe I'll need to de stone a horse hoof.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Not a tool persay, but best shed purchase I've spent this year at 14 bung.

Name:	200003r-grp.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	299415

Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    skillsaw with blade reversed. non tipped ones
    Cuts aluminium plate really nice (a bit loud though)
    A boat builder showed me that one.
    Ali blades are only like 50 bucks anyway... and they do a good job of wood too; even while spinning the right way

Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Cheap tap and die set. If something feels like it might be starting to cross-thread, this will vastly increase your chances of saving the threads.

Name:	tapset.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	299411

Cheap wire strippers. I can't stand cutting and stripping wire with a craft knife, when this tool does it so neatly and easily.

Name:	AdjWirStrpb.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	299410
    Owned both them, and have to disagree, cheap crap like that shits me to tears now I've used (and purchased) good stuff.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...my dentists mirror has only been used in despairing times a couple of times, but worth its weight when it is effective ...my gas tip cleaning files are probably some of the most useful things to have around at times...multitudes of positions they can get themselves into...
    Reminds me, I used to work around glass processing plant, we used a lot of diamond files to clean up the odd edge chip. I've still got several, about 150mm long, 10mm wide and 3mm thick. They'll cut anything, don't clog up on soft stuff and don't wear at all. Excellent de-burring kit for stuff fresh off the mill.

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Ali blades are only like 50 bucks anyway... and they do a good job of wood too; even while spinning the right way
    Aye, I use a big heavy old Black and Decker 10" skillsaw with a medium tpi carbide blade with reasonably low top-rake for cutting any alloy plate from 1.5mm to 50mm 7000 series tooling plate. Must say odds are even as to which one of us will kill the other first...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    The old man keeps giving me stuff local widows have given him, knowing he's in the trade, (so to speak) and not wanting it to go to waste.

Last week it was a complete number drill set and a collection of micrometre adjustable reamer parts.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I got a set of T bar allen keys from super cheap for under 20. Wish I had got them years ago. Great fairing removal with low scratch risk.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information