Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Tool of the day suggestions start here

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Way back when I was interested in model steam engines - boilers were hydraulically tested to double the working pressure. If the boiler failed with a hydraulic test, then there was a "click" and water all over the floor. If they failed with air or steam the results were explosive and spectacular.
    Oooh yes.

I've had a couple of expansion Chambers open up stress fractures under 500psi and it no big deal, just a little spurt of the water and immediate pressure drop.

Haven't had it under air yet... I often purge the pipe with argon first as well in case the gas torch tries to set anything off.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Way back when I was interested in model steam engines - boilers were hydraulically tested to double the working pressure. If the boiler failed with a hydraulic test, then there was a "click" and water all over the floor. If they failed with air or steam the results were explosive and spectacular.
    Same with dive tanks and such. Water was ever incompressible.

Incidentally the guy testing my CO2 bottle told me that if a tank fails the engineers say that it "lost its structural integrity." While absolutely correct, that does seem such an understatement.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Same with dive tanks and such. Water was ever incompressible.

Incidentally the guy testing my CO2 bottle told me that if a tank fails the engineers say that it "lost its structural integrity." While absolutely correct, that does seem such an understatement.
    Supposedly the alloy fire ex ones often fail first time, then the stretch is taken out, they test fine the next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    husaberg
    Never knew these existed i must live under a rock or something

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adj pin wrench.PNG 
Views:	23 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	351483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adj pin grinder tool.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	351484
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Did you lose the spanner that came with it?

I just bought some bearing drifts. I've always used sockets as I have some real good imperial ones which are only useful as drifts. But these have a handle which makes hitting them square easy. Looking forward to using them having mullered a roller into swingarm last week.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Did you lose the spanner that came with it?

I just bought some bearing drifts. I've always used sockets as I have some real good imperial ones which are only useful as drifts. But these have a handle which makes hitting them square easy. Looking forward to using them having mullered a roller into swingarm last week.
    i have shit tons for 115mm but not for the smaller ?100mm? ones i have inherited. Or the bigger ones 125mm
    i know what you mean i used to convert the sockets to castle nut sockets for honda clutch's and centrifugal oil filters.
    be easy enough to do it with the 2 prongs.
    i have enough now to have dedicated ones for flap disc, grinder, cutting wheel, sander, polisher.
    On a sad not my drive broke on my near 30 year old Dremel last night.

oh look its fixable
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Yamaha

A cheap Oil filter removal tool

I know timing belts are a bit 1990s but if one has an old cam belt wrap it completely around the filter keep the belt tight and pull to undo . Can use them inside out or use the teeth side ,

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokerau boy View Post
    I know timing belts are a bit 1990s but if one has an old cam belt wrap it completely around the filter keep the belt tight and pull to undo . Can use them inside out or use the teeth side ,
    Yup, good call. I've resorted to an inner tube "elastic band" twisted until it's tight to get a gorilla grip on tight filters. Works a treat.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    husaberg
    I used to stab it with a screwdriver.......
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I just resort to the cheap pressed sockets that fit over the end. Most bikes a covered by 2 sizes.

Edit. Searching back I said virtually the same thing in 2021.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Impact Wrench

Well you know when you have a rattlegun yer right proper. Mine has never been defeated and is just the thing for clutch an crank nuts as well as old damper rod forks that like to spin but succumb to the ratlley.

But. . . I kinda dont use except when I need to. Have to recharge the compressor to full and stretch out the airline or fit the longer one.

So given a pressiecard for being awesome and reading a mag featuring one, I thought. . Hmm. Tool-time!

Now hold on Dave. That looks like that elcheapo brand bunnings peddle. And at 215Nm it is at the toy end of the scale. So well you may sneer, but hear me out.

So I have lithium batteries for Makita, AEG, and 3 other lesser brands including Ozito.

I'd bought their sabresaw for gardening duties upon a recommendation as hed loant his out and it still hadn't broken with years of abuse. As mine has reliably functioned hacking branches off with a long garden saw. If you have trees on your property that's another recommendation.

Right back to the garage. I perfonicated for a small age in the shop. I hate buying twice when I've bought something too weedy.
    The next mid AEG or Makita would spin me $4-$500 but hugely increase torque.

Vs $139. I had $200 on the card.

Additionally not having something overpowered means I can spin things up before torquing without so much risk. Well that's what I'm telling myself.

I'm buying this for convenience and if I need more grunt I turn the compressor on. Time will tell if it is of use but spinning a caliper bolt off it performed well and could speed things up a bunch.
    Ooh, follow up.

This thing rocks! Has had enough grunt that I've not needed to fire up wind one since.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    On a sad not my drive broke on my near 30 year old Dremel last night.
    The switch on mine that turns it on and controls the speed is wonky. turn it and it doesnt go. then it goes flat out
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I had the wheels on the car balanced recently, and there was not an air rattle gun to be seen. They were using quite small, red cordless ones - Milwaukee?

I have an old DeWalt, which is mainly used on the car, but is great for loosening front sprocket nuts.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Ozito like my cheapy

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Maybe Ozito like my cheapy
    Nah actual Dremel brand. I took it out and cleaned all the contacts etc but it doesnt seem to be that. I have a $200 M10 voucher and might use that to replace it. Though I do want to accumulate some woodworking tools as well. Been having lots of DIY fun with that lately.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information