Thread: Ride to Piopio

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries

Ride to Piopio

I will post this ride report here as most of the bikes involved were 250cc machines ridden by members who have posted in this section.

Sunday 10am and there was 7 of us for the ride. Donny (ZX14) , Joe (Hyo 250) Dave (Hyo 250), me (Hyo 250), Michael (ZXR250), Phil (K1100) and Bill (CBR250R).
    Bill has been riding since 1951, been a member of KB for a while but has enough brains not to get caught up in all the bullshit and mud slinging. He went into the Honda shop in Hamilton a year ago to buy a pair of boots and came out with a new CBR250. Still hasn’t bought the boots yet.
    Must be something about Honda Hamilton. I went in once on a 2008 bike and rode out on a 1988 GB500tt. Was my wife impressed??? Nooooooo!.
    Joe is a new rider, in fact this ride was his first decent run. He’s sitting his restricted next month and is already looking at his next bike.
    Michael is also on his learners, rides an early Kwaka 250. At least he has had enough sense to buy a decent Alpinestar set of leathers.

I explained where our ride was going, was met with a series of blank looks so was told to lead the way. Out of town and onto Pokuru road. The fog had pretty well lifted by now and was a good run into Oto. From here it was left into Waitomo Valley road. We kept to a steady pace as I didn’t want the newer riders thinking they had to out ride themselves trying to keep up. At the Waitomo rd junction we re grouped. Dave had said he would pull out here and get back home. That left six of us to tackle Fullerton road.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waitomostop.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	198.6 KB 
ID:	299570

This road has a lot of quite tight corners on it which was suited the smaller bikes. A few corners had a scattering of loose gravel from road patching. At the Oparure rd end we hung a right and with the road a bit more open top gear got a bit more use. Towards the Mairoa end, there are a number of corners that are being resealed. As a result we struck gravel on a few bends. One hairy corner was shaded and the roadworks hard to see untill you were onto it. I had a few nervous moments trying to count the number of headlights in my mirrors after that stretch.

Here’s a pic of my 250 Hyo being held up by Donny’s ZX14.

Name:	Donny1.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	500.5 KB 
ID:	299565

Name:	Untitledpicture2-8.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	454.2 KB 
ID:	299566
    After this stop, Bill took over the front running. The old buggar went like a scolded cat, we never saw him again untill Piopio.
    Mairoa road was the best of the days roads. Lots of open corners, lovely countryside.
    I followed Joe and Michael for much of this stretch. These guys are going to be okay as riders.

Here is another still from the GoPro of Donny doing his best to hang on to the 250’s of Michael and Joe. On a serious note, it was great to see Phil and Donny pacing themselves with the smaller bikes and not trying to outdo the newer riders. Our speeds were set around what the inexperienced riders were comfortable with. One had not ridden on unmarked back roads before. The wet shaded corners and gravel patches were all learning curves.

Name:	donny2.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	299567

At Piopio we stopped for a pie and coffee.

Name:	Piopio1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	299568

After the caffeine top up it was off to the local for Phil and Bill and one other who shall remain nameless.

Name:	OldRidersStop.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	299569

From here we stayed on SH3 back to Otorohanga. After a chat we went in different directions.
    This was my first group ride for almost two years. It was nice to be back on a bike and enjoying the company of other riders. I hope its not too long before I get another bike.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Good companions, good weather, good riding... what more could a man ask for?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Good companions, good weather, good riding... what more could a man ask for?
    a phat doobie and blowjobs.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    In pic #4, the riders head looks like it would have been over the center line.

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Michael, Joe, Donny and Bill, here is a combination of short clips taken from the ride. They are not in sequence and Phill misses out as he was sitting at the back for the Oparure road and way out in front on the Mairoa road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RE1T...YqP55w&index=2
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    Trumpet
    Mean ride, and great weather, bring on summer.

Thread Information